Iggy's lackluster return to the hobby.

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Iggy's lackluster return to the hobby.

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:05 pm

Man it's been a few years since I've played or painted anything warhammer 40k related and even longer since I posted last. My last game was probably early 7th edition? I dropped the game due to the LGS' stupid decision to give a dozen players 1 table to play at on friday nights and use 6 tables for slotcars for maybe 3 people. With no where to play and no one enjoying 7th, I moved on to videogames and X-wing.

Fast forward to this year. I have my own car, i have a new job, started playing FFG's card and dice game Star Wars: Destiny and am working on a youtube channel with three others to produce content for that. Recently branched out to another LCG called Warhammer 40k Conquest and I started to miss painting miniatures and playing into the late hours of the night with my friends.

Now I'm back. First on the list is stripping the paint off everything and starting again from scratch. This will mostly serve as a form of motivation and a show of progress. 😂

The test subjects.

I think they came out alright.

And now about 100 more to go.

Maybe by the end of this week I'll know what scheme I want to paint them and start on that. Ill pribably need to get a whole new set of paints since mine havemt been opened in 2 or 3 years.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Re: Iggy's lackluster return to the hobby.

Post by Rouven » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:18 am

IGfanatic wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:05 pm
I think they came out alright.
I think they came out really nice. Actually, I'm really surprised that it's possible to get rid of every single spot of paint. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks! You can see some white on the Vox operators arm still sadly, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little work with a hobby knife.

Primed a couple guardsmen last night, still deciding on a colour scheme but maybe I'll think of something in the next day or two!

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Great to see you back Iggy! Also glad to see you have escaped from the clutches of overwatch! Will be following your progress.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:37 pm

welcome back ! do you know what regiment you want to play ?

Cadian, catachan, ... the other ones ... lol

might give you some inspoiration on colour schemes..

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Arnathos wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:22 pm
Great to see you back Iggy! Also glad to see you have escaped from the clutches of overwatch! Will be following your progress.
I've shockingly put in very few hours to Overwatch lol. Maybe 80 total. 😂 Dota 2 and Xcom have sunk their teeth back into me. Glad to see you are still around here, always nice seeing a familiar face.

Mach-Ten wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:37 pm
welcome back ! do you know what regiment you want to play ?

Cadian, catachan, ... the other ones ... lol

might give you some inspoiration on colour schemes..
I'll be using Cadian mini's, just not sure what colour. Im think darker colours like black and grey, urban camo like but I also want to try more vibrant colours but maybe that would be better saved for a Tau or Primaris force.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 am

IGfanatic wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:21 pm
I'll be using Cadian mini's, just not sure what colour. Im think darker colours like black and grey, urban camo like but I also want to try more vibrant colours but maybe that would be better saved for a Tau or Primaris force.
I did a darker, urban-style tiger stripe for one of my squads of veterans. I was happy with the way it turned out and how it looked on the table:

Like any camo pattern it was a little time-consuming. I guess a lot will depend on how infantry-heavy you want your force to be.

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Looks really nice. Maybe ill try that out tonight.

About 30 models have been stripped now including both Sentinels. Gonna go back and clean up mould lines and excess paint tonight and rekit some of the guardsmen.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:09 am

I hope you're progressing nicely on your guardsmen? ;)
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Been bit by the Rainbow Six Siege bug this last week and playing an unhealthy amount of that. I've managed to clean up about 20 models out of the 130ish that I need to strip of paint. These models below are the only ones i've manage to clean of flash and any paint left over. A couple of them have had weapon swaps too and some extra bits added on. Gonna prime them tonight and hopefully have a night to paint without getting sucked into playing more Siege.

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:33 am

Man it has been forever since I last painted anything. Pretty happy with how it turned out considering how long it's been. Might try a camo pattern on the fatigues tomorrow. I definitely need to pick up a new pot of scar white or whatever it is called first though and some materials for basing and maybe a mat or something I can put on my desk so I don't ruin it lol. Also still need the guard codex so I can understand what I can equip my dudes with. Was invited by a LGS to come play at a 1000 point tournament in February so plenty of time to slack off and not paint, learn the rules or prep a list.

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:05 am

Wow, two posts in two days. I'm shocked at myself.

Think I got the style down that I want to accomplish, now working slowly on the bases, the idea is an urban conflict so ill slowly build it up with either debris for certain squads or pavement and concrete on others. I'm thinking a flame thrower for the first squad to keep up with the theme of an Urban unit, not sure yet.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:43 pm

They're looking really good!!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks! Did a lil more work on them, fairly happy with those two, now onto the next two guardsmen. Pics to come later tonight.

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:56 am

Finished on a third guardsmen, onto the fourth. Been a tough week with work, hopefully will get the fourth and fifth done in the next week or so. Gonna try and get a lamp to take better pics.