General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Ooh Leman russ! <3 I love the big tanks!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:41 am

These are the first Russes I’ve painted since around 1997 when I got one of the original models. Took me ages to save up for it back then :D

They are so much fun to paint. I’ve finished these two Punishers, and next I will be doing a Demolisher command tank. Just waiting for a few bits from forgeworld.

Here is the one I worked on earlier in the week.
[+] Expand

And Here is another one that I finished yesterday.
[+] Expand

Yeah, they are almost identical. Lol. Can anyone spot the difference?

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:23 pm

I’ve been doing the third Russ for my Krieg this weekend, he’s equipped with a Demolisher cannon, and flamers all round, I’ve not glued the front flamer as I want to have the option of sticking a lascannon on him now and again, I’ve also got the FW Vanquisher turret too so he may be deployed in different roles in the future. His main role will be as a line breaker that speeds forward and roasts the enemy lines.
[+] Expand

I’ve magnetised the capola so I can have a commander riding in the tank, or maybe the Commissar model that’s available, though I don’t have that particular piece yet.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:45 am

Have been working on my Imperial Knight this week, I’ve done the skeleton, and I’ve started on some of the armour panels. Will be going for a cream livery, with brass metal work, and red/burgundy accents.
[+] Expand

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Lookin' good so far!

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks, a little more done this evening.
[+] Expand

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:51 pm

I’m really enjoying working on the scenic base for this Knight, I’m trying to go for the grimey, Blanchitsu look.
[+] Expand

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 am

You've already progressed much further with your Imperial Knight than I have! Really like your base!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:37 am

LordMcAllister wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 am
You've already progressed much further with your Imperial Knight than I have! Really like your base!
Thanks, I’m finding it really hard not to just spend all my time painting this model and speed through it. It’s probably my favourite GW kit now. It’s so detailed and so much fun to work on. I really want to take my time and have a model that I’m proud of.

Between buying a Christamas tree and clearing the driveway of snow yesterday, I did a little bit of work on the old girl.

It took me ages to properly mask off these Pauldrons so I could get a couple of coats of metallic down on the edges, and even then there’s still a little overspill here and there. I’m not too bothered by that though because transfers and then weathering should cover the mistakes.
[+] Expand

When I started painting this model, I decided on two things, first that it would be done in the Blanchitsu style, so I’d be limiting my pallet to natural tones of browns and greens, and second, slightly inspired by Bob Ross, that any mistakes would become weathering. So any slip of the brush would become a patch of rust.

Not all of the rust patches are rust, but every mistake has become rust so far.

Sir-back-up
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Sir-back-up » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:15 am

That knight makes me want to buy one too:D
Very awesome job so far!:0
My projects
Orks
White scars
Blood angels
Eldar corsairs
Astra militarum
Death guard
Thousand sons
30k thousand sons

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:09 pm

So much awesome !! how are you finding the assembly?
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:08 am

Guildenstern wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:09 pm
So much awesome !! how are you finding the assembly?
Thanks

I’ve actually found most of the assembly to be fairly simple, as far as a GW kit goes, it’s certainly been no harder than a Rhino kit, or Leman Russ Tank. There’s just more of it. The arms are fairly easy to magnetise, though the weapons options on the main gun of battle cannon or magma cannon would be a little fiddly to do (so I’m probably just going to stick to the battle cannon.)

I finished more armour plates last night, including the Ion Shield.
[+] Expand

I’m currently mulling over the idea of whether or not to do a black and yellow chequer pattern on the armour plate for the Thunderstrike Gauntlet. It would bring a little of a rogue trader era feel to the model, albeit in a Blanchitsu style. I’d try to use a more muted yellow to keep the colour palette consistent. I’m just not sure my free handing skill is up to chequers of that size.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:46 am

Wow, it looks great already! I believe this is going to become one of your best painted minis, if not the best one! Keep up the great work and I really envy you for your pace!
I guess some muted yellow colours with some additional grime (agrax earthshade or seraphim sepia) could really work well in your theme and I personally always like ideas which are meant to integrate some classical look.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 am

LordMcAllister wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:46 am
Wow, it looks great already! I believe this is going to become one of your best painted minis, if not the best one! Keep up the great work and I really envy you for your pace!
I guess some muted yellow colours with some additional grime (agrax earthshade or seraphim sepia) could really work well in your theme and I personally always like ideas which are meant to integrate some classical look.
Thanks, I think the reason I’m getting so much done so quickly is probably because I’m enjoying painting it so much, I’m almost tempted to try and get one of the forgeworld Knights now, but I don’t really have a use for one, and I’ve still got an Eldar titan to build after this.

Didn’t get too much done yesterday, just the Autocannon that sits on the Carapace. I’ve also base coated most of the armour plates now too.

[+] Expand

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:13 am

I dig the rusty cod-piece. ;)