General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

Post by Iguana1981 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Nice job mate. The Purple stands out so nicely.
Chaos ~ 679PL/11998 Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449 Tau ~ 121PL /2152 Eldar ~ 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks iguana, I’m really enjoying painting these old Eldar models, I did a Rouge Trader era Farseer today. According to the collecting Citadel miniatures wiki, it was released in 1991. It was recently featured on the cover of the limited release Eldar Sketchbook. As an aside it’s a great book, I’m so glad I picked it up when I did.
[+] Expand
Here’s my take on it. I wanted his little rune to stand out, so did it blue, using the new thousand sons paint and baharroth blue. I’m still not confident enough to paint any free hand runes on his cloak though. So will likely leave it here with this little dude.
[+] Expand
I need to go back in and touch up a couple of the gems, before varnishing it’s easy to rub the Tamiya paint off by accident.

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Iguana1981 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Ohh I've not seen the book before. Looks cool.

I've seen the model on eBay going for mad money. Another great paint job.

Do you pin your models to the cork? I have some to use on my nurgle stuff.

The Tamiyas seems to be similar to the minitaire tints in that regard.
Chaos ~ 679PL/11998 Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449 Tau ~ 121PL /2152 Eldar ~ 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Iguana1981 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:13 pm
Ohh I've not seen the book before. Looks cool.

I've seen the model on eBay going for mad money. Another great paint job.

Do you pin your models to the cork? I have some to use on my nurgle stuff.

The Tamiyas seems to be similar to the minitaire tints in that regard.
The book is gorgeous, and it goes for crazy money on eBay. Half of me wishes I’d kept it in the wrapper to sell, but it’s such a lovely book I’m glad I didn’t.

I managed to get the model quite cheaply, it was pretty manky when I got it, but nothing a soak in Dettol, and then acetone didn’t sort out.

I’ve manages to snap up all the rogue Trader era seers and Warlocks so they will form one seer council, I’ve got a bunch of more up to date ones too, so they will form a second “modern era” council. I say modern era, but most of them are from the nineties I think.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 am

Continuing to work on my Warlocks this week.
[+] Expand

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:41 am

I’ve now finished my set of Rouge Trader Warlocks and Farseer. They are going to form a Seer council on the table, probabl6 two Warlock Conclaves and a single Farseer. They will also all be getting a paragraph of fluff eventually. I really enjoy giving my models a back story.

Here’s the three I’ve worked on this week for the painting pledge.
[+] Expand
Here’s the full Seer council
[+] Expand
Next up I will be working on a Wave Serpent. Having learnt a couple of things working on the Wraithfighter, I’ve decided to do some bone white sections here and there on this Wave Serpent to break up the black here and there, my older Serpent is a little bland if truth be told, so I wanted this to have a more interesting look.
[+] Expand

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Well the Wave Serpent is done, I’m going to shy away from covering it in transfers or zig zags, I think with the added bone sections, it could get too busy. I’m quite pleased with it though, and I feel it’s a lot better than the last Wave Serpent I painted.

Always good to feel like you’re progressing.
[+] Expand

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:00 am

I’ve started working on some Howling Banshees that I picked up from eBay. These are metal 3rd edition Banshees. Due to their posing I can’t really do my usual stepping stone bases with misty purple underneath. So they are just going to be on rocky outcrops, with the exception of the Exarch who can be on my normal kind of base.
[+] Expand
After doing the initial base coats and shading with my airbrush, I’ve started going in and doing a bit of washing here and there.
[+] Expand

I’m not entirely sure what role they will fill in my army, they don’t really do anything that Harlequins can’t do but better. But I have always loved the models and fluff behind them, so I wanted to have some.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:11 am

Man, it's been a long time since I've seen those models.... Had a few of them myself, back when I played Eldar in 3rd Ed. :P

I just want you to know one thing. I do not regret anything about the following:
General-Kroll wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:00 am
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am

Koonitz wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:11 am
Man, it's been a long time since I've seen those models.... Had a few of them myself, back when I played Eldar in 3rd Ed. :P

I just want you to know one thing. I do not regret anything about the following:

[quote=General-Kroll post_id=<a href="tel:1087184">1087184</a> time=<a href="tel:1508936413">1508936413</a> user_id=160900]
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[/quote]

Lol, it’s rather uncanny isn’t it.

I’ve been looking at the different sculpts of Banshees on Collecting Citadel Minatures wiki (great site for anyone interested in gw minis) and the difference between 3rd edition Banshees and the current ones is barely noticeable. Not sure why they changed them really.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:57 am

lol that's awesome Koonitz!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:33 pm

A little more work on the Banshee today.
[+] Expand

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Nice! really liking the hair... plumes... thingy...
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks, they are nice fairly simple models, so they are fun to paint. Haven’t had a chance to work on them this weekend as I’ve had family over.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Got a little side tracked from the Banshees, decided to have a fiddle with this Leman Russ I got in a swap.
[+] Expand

Going to put some more markings on her, and a lot more weathering.