General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:34 pm

The first of my Hellions is now complete, still got the weapons to do on four more though.
[+] Expand

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:46 am

Wow... I'd say one of your best works so far! The weathering on the flying thing is great, the decals are awesomly merged onto the mini and look like they were freehanded, the leather looks nice and smooth and you didn't overdo it with the blood. I'm really impressed! Keep on improving!
Painted in 2017:
AdMech: 10 Rangers, 1 Vanguard, 1 Sydonian Dragoon, 1 Techpriest Dominus, 1 Infiltrator, 1 Onager Dunecrawler
Space Wolves: 5 Terminators, 1 Primaris Lieutenant
non GW: 1 Zombicide Survivor, 1 Infinity Hexas Multi Sniper

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks dude :D

Sir-back-up
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Sir-back-up » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Really solid work! Like LorMcAllister said the leather looks good!
Keep up with the good job:p
Aeldari
W/D/L
8/1/2

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:51 pm

Thanks :D the leather parts are basically just flat brown Vallejo paint washed with Agrax earthshade, I wasnted my Dark Eldar to look nice and dirty, almost blanchian.

I took a break from the commoroites today to work on an Eldar Warlock I got in the post. I've got a whole bunch of these old metal sculpts coming to me from various eBay sellers. Hoping to make a nice conclave.
[+] Expand
So far I've just blocked in the main colours, I will be doing a lot more to this little dude.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:08 pm

That Hellion is gorgeous. The weathering is really fantastic.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:35 am

I'm going to try and focus on the rest of the Hellion squad today, got a little distracted by the Warlock arriving yesterday. :oops:

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Yeah....that didn't happen :P

The Warlock is almost finished though. Lol.
[+] Expand

There is a bit of touching up to do here and there. The frustrating thing about the metal models is that any slightest bump will knock bits of the paint off. So here and there you can see patches where the highlighting has been touched up with black. I will be going back in to fully repair those later. Needless to say this little dude will be getting a nice coat of varnish.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:46 pm

Very nice, I like the purple/pink thing hanging down (which sounds terrible now I read that but hopefully you know what I mean LOL)

Re: metal models - ugh I know what you mean. I'm so paranoid now, after doing my icky Ikit model that I not only wear gloves, but varnish after each layer. Just in case. Cuz yeah. Chips suck. Rubbing colour off sucks. Dropping the model on the floor (again!) and having to repin the arm (for the third time!) also sucks, but that's another issue :P
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:05 am

I've never really had a problem with chipping (as in, paint just flaking off) for metal models. What kind of primer are you using? Also, I cannot recommend nitrile gloves highly enough; I have fairly sweaty hands (yeah, yeah) and if I don't wear a glove, the natural moisture and oils in my skin will absolutely pull paint off a mini (metal or plastic). Since I started wearing a nitrile glove on my "holding" hand, it's become a non issue.

It also means I can airbrush something and not walk around with a white- or red- or green-tinged hand for three days. ;)

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Guildenstern wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:46 pm
Very nice, I like the purple/pink thing hanging down (which sounds terrible now I read that but hopefully you know what I mean LOL)

Re: metal models - ugh I know what you mean. I'm so paranoid now, after doing my icky Ikit model that I not only wear gloves, but varnish after each layer. Just in case. Cuz yeah. Chips suck. Rubbing colour off sucks. Dropping the model on the floor (again!) and having to repin the arm (for the third time!) also sucks, but that's another issue :P

Varnishing after each layer might be a good idea, think I might try that, I've been on a bit of an eBay splurge and bought a load of old metal Eldar stuff :oops:

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:08 pm

Munin wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:05 am
I've never really had a problem with chipping (as in, paint just flaking off) for metal models. What kind of primer are you using? Also, I cannot recommend nitrile gloves highly enough; I have fairly sweaty hands (yeah, yeah) and if I don't wear a glove, the natural moisture and oils in my skin will absolutely pull paint off a mini (metal or plastic). Since I started wearing a nitrile glove on my "holding" hand, it's become a non issue.

It also means I can airbrush something and not walk around with a white- or red- or green-tinged hand for three days. ;)
I have been using Vallejo black and grey. I use Latex gloves sometimes, but I find the paint makes them sticky which causes its own problems.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:25 pm

The Vallejo primers are brush-on or spray-on? I use cheap-butt Rustoleum gray primer in a rattle-can and it has never done me wrong.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:27 pm

The airbrush primer is the one I use, it's usually great, I honestly think it's just a matter of me dinging the models on things.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:48 am

My Hellions are now complete. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out.
[+] Expand

Next up I'm going to paint some old school Eldar Scouts, I got them off eBay as a bit of a bargain, now they are stripped down and ready to paint. I never really considered getting any Rangers before seeing these guys, now I'm kind of falling in love with the look of the new models too. I will see how often I use these guys before I think about getting the modern equivilants to swell their ranks.

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”