General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Scourges are done, better pictures to follow soon :D
[+] Expand

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:48 am

With my Archon finished, and Hellions on their way, I will soon be able to field an exclusively Dark Eldar force in smaller games.

I'm fighting the temptation to paint my wraithknight right now though, as it's sub assemblies are complete... :D

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:01 am

How much deldar have you got left to do?

Oooo shiny wraithknight! Did you magnetise the options?
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:31 am

Dheiti wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:01 am
How much deldar have you got left to do?

Oooo shiny wraithknight! Did you magnetise the options?
I've got another five Hellions, nine Reaver jet bikes, and a converted Sucubus. :) The start collecting combined with Gangs of Commorah is amazing value.

And yeah, most of the options got magnetised, I did the shoulder cannons as Star cannons though, but they are magnetised for removal.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:55 am

So I ended up doing something a little off track today. I came across a video on how to do soul stones with some transparent paint, and decided to give it a try. I've been putting off doing the stones on my Eldar vehicles for ages, I did the ones on most of my infantry by the old shading technique. So today I tried the new way on my tanks, artillery, and avatar.

Step one was to paint all the gems silver, I used Vallejo model air chrome for this, its such a lovely silver.
[+] Expand
After that, I needed to use my tamiya clear coat paints, undiluted to colour them all. The best way was to get a big glob of paint and drag it over the stone.
[+] Expand
I'm really pleased with the effect, the stones are really bright and pop nicely on the model. Here are the other models I worked on today.
[+] Expand
Since I'm in a craftworlders kind of mood this weekend, I'm probably going to try and do some decals and lightning bolts on these over the next couple of days. Unfortunately the decals for Ulthwé are the old yellow ones, and their modern day colour scheme is black with cream accents. So I'm going to have to paint over the decals. I'm going to do a test piece first, and then do it on the actual models. Anyone got any tips for doing this?

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:03 am

I've started doing the zig zags on the Fire Prism now, not sure whether or not to do a row on the right hand side too, I kind of like the asymmetric look.
[+] Expand

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 am

I'm a big fan on asymmetry, looks nice when done well!

You're on a serious march this week! Flying through it all!!
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Iguana1981 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:07 am

Very nice!
Black Legion ~ 450PL/8110
Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449
Tau - 121PL /2152
Eldar - 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Iguana1981 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:07 am
Very nice!
Dheiti wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 am
I'm a big fan on asymmetry, looks nice when done well!

You're on a serious march this week! Flying through it all!!
Yeah I'm on a bit of a kick the last few days, most of this stuff has already been painted though, I've just been adding details I was too lazy to do the first time around.

I'm done with the Fire Prism now.
[+] Expand
And I've also done a few gem work on my jetbikes.
[+] Expand
Last edited by General-Kroll on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Last picture for today, I managed to get myself back on plan and work on my Hellions, the riders themselves are now primed, and the skyboards are all base coated and highlighted.
[+] Expand
Next step is to stick some Dark Eldar decals on them, and then dirty them up a little...or a lot.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:45 am

My Hellion's skyboards are now completely finished. I've spent today, setting decals on them and then dirtying them up. I'm really pleased with how they have turned out.

Here's a shot of them before weathering.
[+] Expand
And here they are after I took a sponge and some rhinox hide to them.
[+] Expand
I wanted them to look like racing bikes, that the Hellion's use in their contests in the arena and races with Reavers. This came out of the Gangs of Commoragh box, so no doubt they will see use in the game too.

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:11 pm

They are brilliant! Literally just sponge applied the weathering?
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Dheiti wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:11 pm
Yeah, just a very small amount of rhinox hide on some torn up sponge, and then light dabbing around the areas to be weathered.

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:56 pm

General-Kroll wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:17 pm
Dheiti wrote:
Yeah, just a very small amount of rhinox hide on some torn up sponge, and then light dabbing around the areas to be weathered.
Might try this on my storm raven!
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:25 pm

Dheiti wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:56 pm
General-Kroll wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:17 pm
Dheiti wrote:
Might try this on my storm raven!
Definitely worth a try, I've used it on a few things now. Mainly scenery, but it's the first time I've tried it in models. I think I got the idea from one of Duncan's videos. May have been the one on painting the galvanic tractor crane thingy.

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”