General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

Post by General-Kroll » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:08 pm

With all my previous posts wiped out, it's time for a fresh start.

This week I've been painting a Dark Eldar raider. So far I've only laid down some basecoats and highlights with my airbrush, it's coming along nicely though.
[+] Expand
I'm going to try for a battered and worn look, with lots of blood and gore.
Last edited by General-Kroll on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: General-Kroll's Weekly Paint 2017 The Return!

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:27 pm

It looks great so far! It must be very frustrating to have lost all these posts though. :( You had put quite a lot of nice pictures over the years. I hope this won't happen again.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:51 pm

It's very frustrating yes, but luckily I have most of the pictures saved. It's a shame that they aren't available for others to view now, but I'm not going to spend a massive amount of time to put them back up. What I will probably do, is finally get off my butt and take some army shots to post in the Armies on Parade thread.

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Love your dark elder scheme! Absolutely brill!

Also agree with Kov, I've lost a load as photobucket seems to be a bunch of pirates....
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:27 pm

I've done some more work on the raider today, and it's passengers.
[+] Expand
Spoilered this last one as it's one of the Dark Eldar prisoner models.
[+] Expand
Last edited by General-Kroll on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Ohhh I like it. the Little deck there in the last pictures reminds me Star Wars and the Sarlaacs Pit. That and I dont know why I have a weakness for the Dark Eldar look, one of these days I swear ill need to grab some to paint. >>

Is a shame about the pictures, guess there was no way to recover the old accounts or posts?

Also I have to know, did you do that basecoat with an Airbrush? And if so, any tips for someone new who just picked one up?
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:12 pm

SweetSorrow wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:59 pm
Ohhh I like it. the Little deck there in the last pictures reminds me Star Wars and the Sarlaacs Pit. That and I dont know why I have a weakness for the Dark Eldar look, one of these days I swear ill need to grab some to paint. >>

Is a shame about the pictures, guess there was no way to recover the old accounts or posts?

Also I have to know, did you do that basecoat with an Airbrush? And if so, any tips for someone new who just picked one up?
Yeah the base coat was all airbrush. I think the best advice I can give is to go slow, and light with your coats. Build up your layer rather than soaking the Model in paint. I've made that mistakes a few times and while it's not going to ruin a model, you're going to have better results going steady. Also, get some old bases, or bits of plastic to practice on, that way you can try out techniques etc. Finally make sure you clean the airbrush well, but be gentle, I ruined the nozzle on mine by being too aggressive. Luckily I managed to get spare parts.

Anyway, the Raider is nearly finished. Just need to paint up the prisoners, and add some transfers.
[+] Expand
Last edited by General-Kroll on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:15 pm

The Raider is now finished.
[+] Expand
I've finished five of my Wyches, and will hopefully crack on with the rest this week, photos to follow once they are all done.
Next up will be my Hellions, and Scourges. I also really need to get my backside in gear and finish off my first set of Harlequin skyweavers, and the two Troupes I've got built.

Meanwhile, away from the paint pots, I've started building a Wraithknight. He's getting a dead Berserker made of some scraped together bits on his base.
[+] Expand
I'm looking forward to painting this bad boy.
Last edited by General-Kroll on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Oh I love that Raider and it indeed reminds me of the first part of the Return of the Jedi. The symbol on the sail is really awesome BTW. I love the blood splaters along the edges and on the hull. I guess they've got some orkish speed freaks instincts into them haha! The prisonner on the deck is also a brilliant idea. It reminds me of the old model for the personal Ravager of Asdrubael Vect.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks, I figured I would make the aether sail cleaner than the rest of the ship, I think it works. The symbol is one of the transfers, but it really stands out.

The prisoners are from the old vect model originally I think, GW still sells them in a blister on their own.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Today I've done a little work on a few of my Dark Eldar.

I started off by doing the adrenaline vials on my Scourges, as well as playing around with my airbrush on their wings.
[+] Expand
I've done the skin cloak on the Archon.
[+] Expand
I'm really enjoying these Dark Eldar models.
Last edited by General-Kroll on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:02 pm

That top set of scourge wings looks almost magpie-esque! Can't wait to see these done and together!
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Haven't had much time to work on the wings today, but I've put a bit of ardcoat on the vials.
[+] Expand
Last edited by General-Kroll on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:35 am

The weapons for the Scourges have been painted up, and glued in place (mostly) though I managed to mess up the parts needed and now have to paint up some more supporting arms.
[+] Expand
Next thing is to do the bat style wings, I'm not sure exactly how I want them painted, I'm going to try and keep it a fleshy colour, so probably some whitish base coating and then layering up with thinned down carrebourg crimson.

I'm waiting for a new dremel before doing the heads, I want to drill holes in the bottom and mount them on paper clips so airbrushing them will be easier.

Oh, and I'm going to try and remember to spoiler my images from now on too. If I've time I may edit my old posts to spoiler things too.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:50 am

The bat wings for my Scourges are finally done, I've had a pretty rough week unfortunately so haven't done all that painting. :( feeling much better now though, so hoping to get these Scourges done by the end of the weekend for my painting pledge. Just the heads and the finishing bases to go now.
[+] Expand

I've got the heads base primed and the first base coat down, I need to base coat all the hair too though, then I will start highlighting and adding detail. I was kind of tempted to put a transfer on one of the batwings and see if I can make it look like a tattoo. But I think it may come off as a bit too clean for that.