SweetSorrows 2017 Weekly Paint - Lets go

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: SweetSorrows 2017 Weekly Paint - Lets go

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Okies, just my opinion based on what I'm seeing.

I don't think thinning is your problem per se - people do paint with thicker paint actually, and do fine. Anything you do you'll get better with practice. But anyway, if you water your paints down too much, you'll also have problems because you won't be able to control the flow of the paint, it'll go to unwanted areas. The consistency you want is more like part of the art than science hah. I like to mix mine til it runs a certain way, but no faster/further, and that's really hard to describe in ways that would actually help you.

Also, I rarely do more than 3 coats especially on infantry types and I'm not saying I'm a great painter, but they come out ok at least, for on the table top. That's basically the basecoat and two highlights. Sometimes a third highlight on characters.

The most important step is getting a good basecoat down. Without that, advance techniques etc, won't really matter. Even highlighting won't matter imo because it's not on a good foundation.

Specifically the only thing I see that can improve your thousand sons atm is defining where the highlights go a bit better. This is an issue for me as well. I tend to get confused sometimes especially on that final highlight. Anyway, I've not tried this yet myself, but others do a zenithal highlight technique, where they basically spray a lighter primer coat on over the model from the direction of the lightsource. It's meant more for OSL is my understanding, but at the same time I don't see why it wouldn't help with highlights in general. The problem is as you paint it tends to get covered up. One person recommended taking a picture of the model for reference, for later, because of this.

Anyway don't worry about your models being pretty - they will be =D even if they're not quite what's in your head, mine never are either, but they'll look awesome all finished up! And you'll definitely get better the more you paint, the more you will learn.

And yup it's a total monday! Ugh, some days are just like that I swear >< we've all knocked over our washes. I spilled my palette (turns out you can have too much water in your wet palette, whodathunk) and got water all over my new models, which I can't remember if I'd already varnished or not yet ><

I've heard people putting their washes on a bit of bluetack or poster tack btw - it's not really worked for me, I still manage to knock it over lol. But maybe it'll work for you :)

(And don't use a coffee/tea cup for your wash water! that also leads to bad things if you haven't done that yet lol)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:43 pm

So, Photobucket is being nice today so here is some updates on some of the stuff I have been painting. Not much done due to it being the last week of classes so supppeerr busy. I am hoping I can get my Deathmatch done though. Now for some update on the 1K sons.

ImageImageImage

Some WiP of my Deathmatch Ranger that is the start of my Yinnari force. Only basecoated layers so far, going to need to do alot of cleaning up before I start moving on however.
Some help for color regarding the equipment on the back would be appreciated.

ImageImage
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:07 pm

Love the 1k sons. Yellow is a pain to put on blue, I've found out in mine that going from base blue to yellow goes best if you put down an orange (for a duller yellow) or white (for a bright yellow).

Keep it up!

SweetSorrow
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue May 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Some pictures of my New Eldar color scheme I painted up for my deathmatch. The cloak could have come out a bit better but otherwise my first time painting orange didn't go to terribly....I think.....

ImageImageImageImage

Then I had told myself that I would wait to spoil myself till after finals, however it seems my willpower was to weak (Side effect of playing Chaos i guess) so here is my Yncarne. I did terribly putting the hair on so had to reinforce with Greenstuff and ill have to go back and sculpt, but i was so happy putting it together. Don't think I have been that happy putting a model together since my Deamon Prince when I started.

Comments and suggestions appreciated. I will hopefully have some new minis painted up and ready soon. More than likely it will be a ton of Eldar and Marines. Unless I decide to cave and get some Hersey miniatures...

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Well, ended up out of town for family reasons and an event so haven't done much. However I am back in town and apparently picked up a box of Sag Guard while I was gone too....

Anywho, should hopefully have some stuff up by tomorrow cause if nothing else I put together some bikes.

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri May 19, 2017 10:24 am

yay bikes!!

Yrcanne (can't spell that) looks like a very tough build!

I like the way your eldar look very vibrant, almost a camo feel
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Sat May 27, 2017 4:15 am

Got some updates in store for tomorrow, Had been away so havent gotten much painting done but have some sag guard to put together. Also, trying to decide what type of greater demon I want to get for my first Big centerpiece for my chaos army so any suggestions for that would also be appreciated.

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Sir-back-up
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Sir-back-up » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:21 pm

I had similiar problem with my yncarne.. the hair connection is little bit wierd and mine has a terrible line in the hair :/ also i didnt have any glue where to put that last piece of ectoplasma so i didnt put it in :D
Post some update on the yncarne when you get it done:p
My projects
Orks
White scars
Blood angels
Eldar corsairs
Astra militarum
Death guard
Thousand sons
30k thousand sons

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Well, I haven't gotten around to painting it yet cause I don't have the blues I want for her so she is on hold ;-;

Probably going to pick them up when i go to pre-order 8th edition stuff this weekend. In the meantime Also trying to decide for my Chaos Army if I want a Bloodthirster or a Lord of Change for a centerpiece

ImageImageImage

Plus got my biker done. Ill have a few more updates later once I decide what I want to paint or if I want to work on putting together the loyalists I had bought to try them out...

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Well, pre-ordered my 8th edition books and got a few paints for my Flawless host as well as the Deathguard paints so should be able to get some Chaos stuff up soon. Unfortunately I didn't get any games in and the local store made me feel slightly outcasted due to the people there all having gotten their Index's early.

Since I didn't get mine and have to wait ended up just going home cause there was no one to play versus since everyone was playing 8th ;-;

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:27 am

How come people are already having their indexes? Aren't those due to come out together with the "Dark Imperium"-Box?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:23 am

LordMcAllister wrote:How come people are already having their indexes? Aren't those due to come out together with the "Dark Imperium"-Box?
Most stores have received showroom copies that they are able to reveal to patrons of their store. Which means many people have been able to completely read through anything they might want to, including the main rules.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:01 pm

I saw at the store people that had their own Ondex's already. Wasn't even the showroom or store display. No, it was infact their own personal copies. Two guys were actually painting their Primaris Marines up too boot ;/

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:12 am

SweetSorrow wrote:I saw at the store people that had their own Ondex's already. Wasn't even the showroom or store display. No, it was infact their own personal copies. Two guys were actually painting their Primaris Marines up too boot ;/
I would guess it's one of two things, then:
1) The customers are loyal customers and the store let them take their copies early (to be paid for on the day of release, as the actual sale of the item prior to its actual release would get the store in a lot of trouble).
2) They, specifically the models, are still the store copy of the starter box they asked the people in question to paint, especially so if they are actually good painters.

I'd lean towards the former of the two. I've gotten some product a little early from my FLGS before, with the promise to pay for it on the day of its release. Though certainly not a week or more in advance (usually the day before at most).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Well, been slowly assembling a dreadnought and got my White Scar Sternguard vet assembled but did not get a chance to paint him. :(

I am looking for help in deciding what to put together first as I made the Cardinal sin of hobbying where I got way too much to put together and Now having a hard time to get motivated at all this plastic. So I thought maybe I would see if anyone here had anything they would want to see done and Ill do it in that order. ^^

I have to do:
9 Bikers
15 assault marines
5 Sag Guard
2 dreadnoughts
Strike Force Ultima Box
Tac Squad, Captain, Terminator Squad, Sternguard, Droppod, Razorback, Land Raider, StormHawk Interceptor.

So any help or models suggestions would be appreciated since I am barring myself from any purchases till they are all assembled.

Also, going to be gone for a week for a convention so I will see you all after I am back. Happy Wargaming

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII