SweetSorrows 2017 Weekly Paint - Lets go

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

SweetSorrows 2017 Weekly Paint - Lets go

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:49 pm

So, I know better than to try doing a weekly paint like I did previously now that I have come back due to having full time school alongside my part time jobs. So a work in progress is a lot safer bet. So anywho, hi guys. I do all sorts of minis so expect a little bit of everything here.

First off some new additions to my Dark Angels that I have not touched in a longtime due to some sad reasons.

And then a Sorceror from the New 1k Sons kit which i picked up wanting to see how good the new cult kits would be. I didnt like it as much as the raptor kit but its pretty cool.

I will see tomorrow about maybe getting some pictures of my Stormcast Eternals or some painted models to put up here. Unfortunately I like building and playing alongside lore more than I enjoy painting so I am sorry for meh painting in advance.
Last edited by SweetSorrow on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: SweetSorrows Miniature WIP

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:07 pm

Not the prettiest, but got my blue base coat, Metal base, and the cloth on the tabards done for everyone as per my painting pledge. Wish it was not so shiny though. I will try and get more done on them tomorrow, but for now I am distracted putting together a Night Lords Lord and some Stormcast eternals.
Last edited by SweetSorrow on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 pm

I think that your link doesn't work.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks for the catch Kov! <3

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:09 pm

Well, I have been awful about keeping this updated >.<
With school in its closing weeks of the Spring Semester just been fairly busy, however I did get some more work done on my Thousand Sons. just the second Base layer and a Wash. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I can have them highlighted and based to show you guys and see what you think. In addition maybe I will have a dreadnought or my first terminator Chaos Lord to show as well.

Any who, More updates soon!

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:26 pm

As I was painting I realized just how many miniature projects I have gained over the years and it occurs to me that maybe I should do spring cleaning. Like, i have 8-9 unopened boxes of FoW plus 5 armies not even painted. Dropzone commander, warmahcine, hordes, the Battle for Skull Pass set, the Island of Blood set. a box of oop skaven, some tyranids I honestly do not think I am going to use. So many marines that I have no need for.

So I would like to ask you guys, do you guys ever find from time to time you just need to cut down your collection so you have room for new projects?
you know, why I am here. Could I please request a Mod move this to the WeeklyPaint section for me? I want to transition to that theme and don't see the need for 2 threads doing the same thing >.<

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm

"I will Play it safe" I thought. Everyone gave me good advice I thought. I just need to see what 8th Edition has in store. Some guy at LGS found a box in his New House With Some Eldar in it he was selling for 50$. So what do I do? Ill take it. Good job me.
On the Upside I now gained:
2 falcons
A metal Firedragon squad
Metal Banshees
Dire Avenger squad
OOP Metal Guardian Squad
Plastic Guardian squad
2 Farseers

safe umhm...yea. sure. I did it >> oh and a Metal Avatar of Khaine new In blister.

And this is why going in to buy a new paint brush and some nurgles rot never goes as you plan it too. At least I remebered the Nurgles rot when I got home. the Brush I did not remember till i sat down to paint just now sigh. Guess no work on the 1K sons squad today.

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Hey SweetSorrows! Congrat on your new Eldars lol! That's a great price for what you've got. The Falcon looks well painted!

Oh and I love the look of your Rubrics. Somehow, there is an eerie quality to the blue you used. I'm not sure if it's the camera, but they look ghostly. It's really appropriate. I like the deep blue with silver trimmings in all cases. And I moved your thread in #theweeklypaint 2017 like you asked. :)

And about your question, personally I have a hard time getting rid of stuff, so I just accumulate new stuff in their boxes. >< Personally, if I was you, I would just keep it in case I need it for later. :)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Glad you like them, I washed them the other day and once i can get a new brush for the details I am going to go back, highlight them a bit and maybe add some freehand before throwing them up finished. I have to give the 1K sons credit, they arent my favorite legion but their new kit and the raptor kit has me soo excited and looking forward to future chaos releases. I am tempted to grab scarab occults just to see how they are too.

The Eldar was a good deal indeed haha. Made it worth my poor game experience today to acquire them. All else fails means if i want to do a small eldar for a starting league. Just need to paint them. I also found some of my old metal bloodletters which are a reminder of some of my first minis....I may put them up here despite the shame and embarrassment. Them and my GK ;D

And true. I just have the problem of I have no real interest in fantasy anymore. Not enough people around here play it and the army I wanted to do was Brets/TK So was considering just trading them for more Eldar or chaos. Maybe I will sit on them for a bit though.

p.s Thank you for Making the switch for my Kov. you are the best ^^ Don't tell Ronin or Nappen

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:21 am

That's a great deal :D

I try not to worry about the end of 7th too much... there seems to be a lot of support for 8th, but that aside GW models just seem to hold their value well, so I wouldn't necessarily get rid of anything in anticipation of the new edition.

That being said, fantasy ala AoS is actually going pretty well in some metas (I know our local kinda died out, but I think it's picking up again). And you'll probably find people to trade/sell to. Also I know some posters on the UnderEmpire might well be interested in Skaven models you have.

But really take your time, I wouldn't do anything you might regret! especially since they're launching the new Dwarves today, who knows maybe TK/Brets will come back and fantasy will pick up in your area again =)

Anyway, liking your thousand sons! Kov's right that blue is eerie. Can't wait to see more pics
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Perhaps. Just not really sure how much the Skaven, High Elves, Beastman, Dwarves, or Goblins are helping me......Maybe I will keep them for now but if I get an offer for something 40k related I want id probably trade them >.<

Now for some Thousand Sons painting update, Critique away. Sorry in advance for the poor pictures, as well as the obvious Brushstrokes.
I just can't seem to water my paint down enough. So i end up having to do 8-9 layers and I only got through 2 today.

And here is where I could use some help. I am currently debating doing some extra effects to the metal.
Here is the Metal as Is

And here is the one with some added touch. Anywho let me know <3

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow

Post by SweetSorrow » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:13 pm

Looking at some of these close up pictures with added flash is making me feel even worse about the current paint job ;-;

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow

Re: SweetSorrows 2017 Weekly Paint - Lets go

Post by SweetSorrow » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 pm

True, I am just very keen on trying to make my models look as pretty as possible, which tends to lead the image I have in my head rarely being met by my usual painting skills. Of course practice makes perfect, just wish I could get a bit closer. I had planned on putting up a WiP of my Yncarne today but it turns out the store I ordered her from Sold her to me without actually having the Yncarne in stock. So instead I get to talk to Customer service for my money back and trying to find a new one. Gah. At least I can post pictures of my Ranger WiP or Maybe my Thousand Sons, or even some of my Flawless host???? HAHA NOPE. Photoshop didn't want to load. Ill paint then and just maybe upload them later? My Black Wash got spilled all over my work palette and fell on the carpet so instead i get to try and get that out.

I just feel like Hobbying is just not going to go well today for me :(

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

SweetSorrow

Re: SweetSorrows 2017 Weekly Paint - Lets go

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Wellllll today made up for the other day. Had a random dream about 40k and In it got an inspiration for my Eldar Color scheme. I cant wait to post some WiP of the ranger show casing it later. However I need help for painting a creme color. I was thinking of a brown base coat and slowly layering the cream on, however would a white or some other color be better for that purpose?

Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”