Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

Post by Koonitz » Sun May 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Finished my first actually fieldable warlord! Did up the BaC chaplain with a Crozius axe instead of mace. Might use him as a regular librarian instead of chaplain. I don't see chaplains as a standard in the Thousand Sons.

I was using the dregs of my Carramburg Crimson bottle which ended up drying with a gloss effect, instead of the normal mat effect. Gave it a nice shine for an HQ model. I'm also incredibly pleased at how the legion transfer on the half-covered shoulder came out.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue May 30, 2017 8:00 pm

These are going to be a delight to use, I know it.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:36 pm

So, once again, had a busy week, but boredom on the weekend causes BLITZ PAINTING SESSIONS!

Tartaros Terminators with plasma completed. Got a rear shot to show off the new Forge World transfers I used.
[+] Expand
I've also joined a local SloGro campaign where you start at 500 points and spend each new month adding 500 points to your army list. This will be starting, I believe, in July, and be fully 8th Ed.

To use my 30k Thousand Sons and to continue my fiery motivation to paint them, I'm doing a lone, lost Fellowship Captain of the Great Crusade Era Thousand Sons (my as-of-yet unpainted Praetor), sent with a small contingent to a lost world in search of lore, who was too far from Prospero to return in time to defend it from the Wolves. However, in time, he, among others, eventually fell to Tzeentch.

However, Tzeentch made sure the message of what happened at Prospero would never reach this captain. Instead, he would be manipulated into believing he still fights for the Imperium. Over time, his brothers would be replaced with fresh reinforcements, which ended up being Rubric Marines, glamoured to look like the Legion of old.

The 500 points would start with a sorcerer, some Rubric Marines and some abhuman auxiliaries (Tzaangors), and each 500 points would have less Thousand Sons, and more Tzeentch daemons, until I have a full mixed list, culminating in, most likely, a Lord of Change, or other suitable centerpiece (trying to stay away from Magnus or Ahriman, as others are doing Thousand Sons and are likely to have either or both in their lists). Every Thousand Sons model will be painted for my 30k army, with some hopefully clever stand-ins for certain wargear not available (ie: Sehkmet Cabal terminators can't take a heavy weapon, so I may magnetize one to take a cyclone launcher as the hellfyre launcher, and I'll have some tactical supports with rotor cannons as the soulreapers).
Armies:

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:07 am

Loving the 30K models. Happy for the slo-grow league. Those are great fun.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:01 am

Nappen wrote:Loving the 30K models. Happy for the slo-grow league. Those are great fun.
I'm looking forward to the slogro/slowgrow/whatever. However, because it contains a painting component, I'm prevented from painting my models until it starts on the 17th with 8th Ed's release. It's been.... frustrating. I've finished assembling the models as much as I have wanted to, so now I have a whole week to wait before I can start painting them! I keep wanting to buy more of my components for later, just so I have something to build, as I don't want to start something that isn't part of the slowgrow, only to have to pause and put it aside once it begins.

With that being said, here's the first 500 points.
[+] Expand
Mk IV Achaean pattern Marines, standing in for Rubricae. No soulreaper as I need a full 10-man squad for that (next phase!). The Rhino doesn't have treads as I intend to have these painted using Forge World's transparent airbrush red for the metallic red colour. Easier to do the treads separately.

My sorcerer in Terminator armour. I'm really pleased with how the book looks just hangin' out under his arm. Gonna enjoy getting this model painted up and making good use of the Forge World Thousand Sons transfers.

Abhuman relic hunters. Just don't tell my Praetor they're actually Tzeentchian mutants.
Armies:

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:11 am

Those will be fun to paint

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Everything looks extremely good! I like your force concept as it reconciles your units retro look with the current state of this legion. You had a great idea to model your Tzaangors with the fantasy weapons. I found the chainswords + pistols pretty boring in fact, but the fantasy weapons are pretty flashy. I'm probably going to do the same when I finally get some. From the leaks, it looks like Tzaangors got better.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:From the leaks, it looks like Tzaangors got better.
The Tzaangor weapons definitely did. They went from basic CCWs to AP:-1, +1 attack for 0 points (same as chain sword/pistol). Since they're just "Tzaangor weapons", you can use the great weapons to represent the same thing, as well.

So, in effect, you lose out on the S:3 pistol to gain -1 rend on the S:4 weapons that attack in both players phases at no points difference. Seems a no brainer, to me. Take the Tzaangor weapons, get them dug into combat.

Edit: And they do look cool, though I really like the look of the embellished chain sword/pistol.
Armies:

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:54 am

They sound really nice yes! That's a nice boost that they now have some AP. But I think they've got a better statline too. They are strength 4 base now if my memory is right, but they used to be only strength 3 and their formation would give them +1 S and +1 intiative if you rolled 9 or more when charging. Now, they are strength 4 all the time unless I allucinated when I read the leak! The chainswords do look cool, don't get me wrong. It's just that when all of them are armed this way, they look a bit repetitive. I feel that since they're mutated tzeentch cultists, having them armed with a bit of everything they could salvage or build themselves is fitting.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:33 am

Kovlovsky wrote:They sound really nice yes! That's a nice boost that they now have some AP. But I think they've got a better statline too. They are strength 4 base now if my memory is right, but they used to be only strength 3 and their formation would give them +1 S and +1 intiative if you rolled 9 or more when charging. Now, they are strength 4 all the time unless I allucinated when I read the leak! The chainswords do look cool, don't get me wrong. It's just that when all of them are armed this way, they look a bit repetitive. I feel that since they're mutated tzeentch cultists, having them armed with a bit of everything they could salvage or build themselves is fitting.
The Tzaangors as a whole are S/T 4 now, so yeah, if they were 3 before, then that's a significant boost.

I just got a second box of Tzaangors from a friend who collects daemons and pre-ordered them before realizing they aren't daemon units. Likely gonna do these as chainsword/pistol for the rule of cool.
Armies:

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:44 am

They basically had a cultist statline with +1 WS and +1 Toughness. Even with mark of Tzeentch included, they were hard to justify outside their formation at 8 pts each (with pistol and chainsword) compared to the cultists at 4 pts each base (5 pts with the MoT). Now, I feel they have a real place in the CSMs as intermediaries between cultists and actual CSMs. I'm not sure how many points they cost in the new edition though. I'm glad they're better because the models are amazing, but the box was on the expensive side, so they kind of needed to be more "elite" to be really worth the cost over getting a bunch of cheaper cultists. I don't think this will my next purchase, but I will consider them now. They certainly add a lot of character to any Thousand Sons army.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:They basically had a cultist statline with +1 WS and +1 Toughness. Even with mark of Tzeentch included, they were hard to justify outside their formation at 8 pts each (with pistol and chainsword) compared to the cultists at 4 pts each base (5 pts with the MoT). Now, I feel they have a real place in the CSMs as intermediaries between cultists and actual CSMs. I'm not sure how many points they cost in the new edition though. I'm glad they're better because the models are amazing, but the box was on the expensive side, so they kind of needed to be more "elite" to be really worth the cost over getting a bunch of cheaper cultists. I don't think this will my next purchase, but I will consider them now. They certainly add a lot of character to any Thousand Sons army.
They're 7 points each (10-30 models), both chain sword/pistol and Tzaangor weapons are 0 points. Chaos instrument (+1 run/charge) is 0 points, Icon of flame (pick a unit within 6", roll a die, 6+ mortal wound) is 10 points.
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:38 pm

I must ask for some help as I am facing a crisis of the heart.

As I said before, I am part of a SloGro campaign for the next four months. One that was sold to me, at least, as something to encourage more people to get into the painting side of the hobby (something I have always desired encouraging more of from the community), and to get less 'grey ghost' armies being played at the FLGS.

There is a painting component that rewards you for having each of your 500 point steps painted by the end of each month, with a restriction of a minimum of 4 colours applied to your model. The way the event is scored is that each game you played, you earn points based on the number of points destroyed in the enemy army plus the number of points you kept alive in your army. Then, your best two games over the month (encouraging you to play as many games as possible) are added together. In addition, if your army is painted by the end, you get a third 'perfect game' added to your score (ie: first month is 500 points saved + 500 points killed for 1000 points).

I joined because it would encourage people to paint, and I wanted to be part of an event that does that, so I signed up. This is despite me already having a considerable portion of my Space Marines painted, and a desire to continue painting my 30k Thousand Sons (which, at the time, I accepted I would not be able to field in 40k and I had already painted up the majority of the troops I had wanted to paint, anyway). I put my original painting plans aside to join this SloGro.

Now, I can understand people excited to join an event like this because it's the start of a new edition and a great way to ensure you have plenty of people to play with. Even those who have little to no inclination to be part of the painting portion. You simply forego the painting rewards, making it less likely for you to actually win. If this is a bother, then simply do not sign up.

However, what I do not understand, and absolutely cannot accept, is that the following picture is being accepted as "fully painted".
[+] Expand

Troy being the name of the individual running the event, not the individual fielding the Carnifex in said event.
I feel this is a personal insult as a painter, and as someone who signed up under the pretense that this would be an event that encouraged painting. Not lazy-arsed, arrogant, 15-minute, cockeyed bull**** that earns the same rewards at the end of the day as this, which took me all weekend to do, and is less than a third of what my army even contains.
[+] Expand
I am absolutely infuriated and, right now, want to walk away from the event stone cold. But, for now, I'm asking for some outside input on whether I should, or if I'm just acting with my heart and should take a day or two to calm down.

Help me, MWG forums, you're my only hope.
Armies:

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 am

I would not leave. The slow grow is an opportunity for you to show what you can do as a painter and to learn the game, have fun and most of the people will be the same as you.

As for the points for the model, to me, it kind of depends on the intent. If the players intent was to make a joke because they were running out of time and couldn't make it, and was making light of the situation, then I have no problem with the player. It could just be a "I am never going to finish, I am going to have a poke at Troy and just give up the points this week." Without knowing what the player was thinking or why he did it, hard to judge.

For the points and the tourney, if Troy thought it was so funny that he gave him the one time bonus for being creative with the failure, then I would just roll with it. If on the other hand this is standard, then I would not quit the league, I would just console myself with beating everyone soundly with a well painted army. Just accept that you have a higher painting standard that the person running the league.

Seriously though, the host should address if this is now the standard or a one off for being creative and funny, but that it is not the standard.

And remember, it is about being social and making friends. Be the bigger person, laugh it off, appreciate the humor of it and play friendly. The friends you make and fun you have in the games, along with the satisfaction of painting your army is the real win at these things. Just my two cents.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:35 am

It later turned out to be that the player was just making a joke (as the picture came from a one-off 1,000 point game he played against Troy), and does intend to paint the models, which does make me feel better about the situation. However, the judgement that he made about the model does technically stand, so we'll see if someone actually does try to pull that off.

For now, we'll let it slide.

As for time, this is the start of the SloGro, which doesn't actually, technically begin until July, except that we can start painting our first phase army now. He'd have well over a month to complete painting at this point.

That and an hour and a half of nonsense Overwatch did pick up my mood.
Armies:

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”