Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

Post by Nappen » Sun May 07, 2017 1:47 am

Snipers look great and yes, the glow works well.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu May 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Super serial question time!

With how much I've been focusing on the Thousand Sons of late, it's reinforcing how much I've always loved the faction. After reading A Thousand Sons, it only deepened that love.

With the reveal of the Thousand Sons datasheet in today's 40k article, I've begun to seriously ask myself:

Super serial question: "Should I start a 40k Thousand Sons army?"

Or should I see about using my 30k models as a 40k force?
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu May 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Koonitz wrote:Super serial question time!

With how much I've been focusing on the Thousand Sons of late, it's reinforcing how much I've always loved the faction. After reading A Thousand Sons, it only deepened that love.

Have you tried the Ahriman trilogy yet? I think I advised you to read it once or twice, but it's a great book series, especially the first one (Ahriman: Exile). It's the most nuanced and interesting portrayal of Chaos I've seen in a long time. The book is back at the roots of what makes Chaos amazing. The books have a very lovecraftian feel to them and asks hard questions about free will in the 41st universe. Since I remember that you are a fan of Ahriman like me, it's a must read. Ahriman is portrayed very sympathetically, but you can also see his dark side.
Koonitz wrote:With the reveal of the Thousand Sons datasheet in today's 40k article, I've begun to seriously ask myself:

Super serial question: "Should I start a 40k Thousand Sons army?"

Or should I see about using my 30k models as a 40k force?
Why not both? If you have a couple of veteran squads for 30k, you can easily band together the special weapon marines and make a chosen squad. In the 3.5 edition codex, Chosen with the MoT were all psykers and they were allowed in a TS army (Legions had particularly strict restrictions at that time, especially Thousand Sons.). That's a pretty strong basis to say that particularly strong psykers from veteran squads might have survived the Rubric of Ahriman. Then you can complete your force with Rubric kits. Morover, Wrath of Magnus shows at least warband that kepts the traditional red and gold color scheme and it's strengthened by what you read in Ahriman: Exile.

My experience with the new model line is that they are of amazing quality. By example, no Rubric has the same head. Even the bolters all have different runes! With the new current rules, they are a lot of fun to play as well if you ever do it. I'm super biased of course, but I warmly recommand them.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu May 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Speaking of using 30k models to represent....
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri May 12, 2017 11:09 am

Yes, Thousand sons!

Honestly the new stuff looks sweet
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue May 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Completed some of my new Thousand Sons Marines in a unique, new style.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu May 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Koonitz wrote:Completed some of my new Thousand Sons Marines in a unique, new style.
[+] Expand

Fabulous!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu May 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Taichi Thousand Sons? :D Nice job on the terminators BTW! I've always been a big fan of the Cataphractii armor.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Finished the 5 Thousand Sons tac marines I pledged to do, fully kitted with bolter, bolt pistol and chainsword, with a couple carrying extra ammo. A bit of a heavy push to complete these, so not sure what I'll do for next week's pledge, but you can see the other 5 in the background, along with the waiting Contemptor (which has a second plasma cannon magnetized and ready to go, if I really love plasma... Which I do....).

If 30k goes 8th Ed, I'm really going to test to see if I can push "melt everything with plasma" as a viable tactical strategy.

The 'tactical decal on the right shoulder didn't lay flat on the shoulderpad very well, so all the 'scratched paint' was actually where the decal didn't lay flat.
[+] Expand
I'm still waiting on my Thousand Sons transfer sheet. Turns out there was a shipping error so Forge World had to resend the order....
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun May 21, 2017 6:22 pm

I finished these so quickly I keep thinking I've missed something....
[+] Expand
Just have to finish the sergeant and I have at least my two minimum troops choices!
Armies:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon May 22, 2017 3:09 am

You're on a roll, keep'em coming! :D Such smooth painting at such a fast pace! Do you assemble these completely before painting?
Painted in 2017:
AdMech: 10 Rangers, 1 Vanguard, 1 Sydonian Dragoon, 1 Techpriest Dominus, 1 Infiltrator, 1 Onager Dunecrawler
Space Wolves: 5 Terminators, 1 Primaris Lieutenant
non GW: 1 Zombicide Survivor, 1 Infinity Hexas Multi Sniper

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon May 22, 2017 4:04 pm

LordMcAllister wrote:You're on a roll, keep'em coming! :D Such smooth painting at such a fast pace! Do you assemble these completely before painting?
The arms and accessories (chain sword/sheathed pistol/ammo/vexilla) were separate.
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon May 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Sergeant completed.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Thu May 25, 2017 9:33 pm

Super stoked and wanted to comment. This Saturday is the long, long awaited re-opening of our FLGS after being closed due to flooding, then heavy renovating, since AUGUST last year!

I'll finally be able to restock some of my desperately low paints!
Armies:

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu May 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Koonitz wrote:Super stoked and wanted to comment. This Saturday is the long, long awaited re-opening of our FLGS after being closed due to flooding, then heavy renovating, since AUGUST last year!

I'll finally be able to restock some of my desperately low paints!
Glad to hear that! It will be a lot more convenient for getting more paint. It seems that the reparations or renovations were quite extensive. Awesome work on the TS sergent BTW!

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”