Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

Post by Koonitz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:29 am

LordMcAllister wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 am
They'll surely be a nice addition to your existing army! What's up next?
Thanks!

The Sekhmet Cabal are done. Did a little something different for the white on the guns, and I think I like it. I used The Lord of Layers' example by building up to an Ulthuan Grey finish, highlighted with white, instead of building up to white. Never liked how flat the white looked. Still not 100% happy with it, but much happier than the white.
[+] Expand
As for what's next, this guy. Castellax-Achaea with Aetherfire Cannon. Forge World sent me two (correction) right legs with the first one, then corrected the mistake by sending me a whole new model. Now, with a bit of conversion on the duplicate leg, I might be able to squeeze two of these out of the purchase.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:41 am

That looks quite a nice model to paint! Look forward to seeing that one progress! :D
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:20 pm

This months' painting for the SloGro.
[+] Expand
The Castellax-Achaea (also pictured earlier) will count as a Decimator siege engine with Soulburner Petard. The Tzaangor Enlightened will count as Renegades & Heretics Malefic Lords, the Coven of the Tempest's Shadow (separate Supreme Command Detachment). The marine infantry, of course, will count as a second Rubric squad. Last, the LasCannons are to upgrade the Sicaran Venator's sponsons.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:32 pm

So, I lied. Still haven't bugged my friend to get the Marines or Castellax-Achea sprayed red (I need to take the Marines apart and prime 'em black and brush them silver, and I'm... procrastinating on that).

Instead, I ended up getting the Malefic Lords done.

While not as physically powerful as their warrior brethren, the shaman of the Coven of Tempest's Shadow are infused with warp energy, swelling their size to imposing levels. The intricate design of their bladed staves serve as powerful magical foci, allowing them to wield the power of the storm with practiced ease.
[+] Expand
The colour scheme was inspired directly by the following picture, of a character in the newly released My Little Pony movie named, unsurprisingly, Tempest Shadow (so yes, disclaimer, pony). I am incredibly pleased with myself at how well I managed to capture that.
[+] Expand
https://petrinox.deviantart.com/art/Tem ... -704303386
Armies:

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 am

Sounds like a lucky break with the FW order. Shouldn’t be too big a deal to make two robots. The tzeentch dudes look really nice in that colour scheme.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:41 am

And it is done. It was a true delight to paint, and I want 8 more.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 am

Love those!

I keep hoping they come out with dark mechanicum stuffs sometime
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 am

The detail and and painting on that robots really great, especially on the back of it. Looks really cool.

And for all that can be said about MLP, the color scheme suits those models quite well so it was a good choice.

Your models are all looking really cool, keep it up :)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:06 pm

I bit the bullet and finally ordered my Thousand Sons centerpiece. Have a little tease.
----
Adeptus Administratum archival access request received...
Access granted.

Retrieving records corresponding to the initial construction of super-heavy asset, <REDACTED>.
+++++++++
658001.M31
Message sent.

Message delivered successfully.
+++++++++

Invictus Acquisitor Faynov,

Per confirming communications from the Lord of the XVth Legion, Magnus the Red, this communication is to serve as an official request for armaments to assist in the clearance of previously undocumented Xenos threats delaying the archaeological dig on Wedroayama, in the Maflides system.

Please see the attached documentation, detailing the Xenos threat, including physical attributes and defensive capabilities, as well as numbers and concentrations, specifically focused around the dig site on the equatorial continent.

The request is for volkite armaments for all deployed support squadrons (see attached deployment documentation). In addition, a resupply of Asphyx shells for bolters as well as rotor cannons in the following numbers.

1,000,000 rounds - 0.75 calibre
350,000 rounds - 1.00 calibre
500,000 rounds - 0.305 calibre

Please note that Primarch approval for super-heavy classification volkite weaponry has been approved and is being requested.

Herihor, Captain, Thousand Sons VIth Archaeological Expeditionary Force

<Documents expunged. Unable to retrieve data>
+++++++++
Reply received
+++++++++

Captain,

Approval for re-arming of the Thousand Sons VIth Archaeological Expeditionary Force has been granted to the following levels:

> 45 volkite serpenta
> 135 volkite chargers
> 180 volkite calivers
> - 1,620 charge packs
> 27 volkite culverns
> - 27 high capacity charge packs
> 1 Contemptor-class twin volkite culvern

Asphyx Shells
1,000,000 rounds - 0.75 calibre
350,000 rounds - 1.00 calibre
500,000 rounds - 0.305 calibre

Currently, no super-heavy class volkite weaponry is available to fulfil request. Approval has been granted for the construction and delivery of one Glaive class super-heavy experimental tank. Fellblade chassis requested from Tigrus Forge World. Additional supplies requested from the following materials sources.

Aegantu IV
Draagawa Prime
Theranope
<RECORD EXPUNGED - Greater security clearance requested>
Grerth 38MR Asteroid Mining Corporation

Expected delivery of all required materials.... 14 Terran standard days with possible deviation of upwards of 10 additional days. Construction will begin once all materials have been received.

Invictus Acquisitor Faynov, Zhao-Arkhad Prosperine fane
+++++++++

<Further communications available. Retrieve now?>
Y/N
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 am

I have a problem..... That problem is partially "tanks are awesome".
[+] Expand
Also, a really easy conversion to make Deimos Predators. Don't suppose anyone knows where I might be able to get more of these old front armour plates?
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Yep, tanks... It has arrived. Test fitting is going well.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:58 am

Ooooh beautiful! No idea where idea to get plates except bits places maybe

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:38 am

Just an update on some idle work I've been doing.

The big guy is mostly assembled (sponsons missing). Like many people (from what I've read), I also had some fiddly difficulty with the front section of the tracks. I'd strongly recommend doing your homework on this kit before assembly. It'll be worth avoiding the headache. A few pieces shown here aren't actually glued in place, to avoid painting hassles (the hull heavy bolters, for example).
[+] Expand
I've also done some work on the Predator. The turret is fully magnetized, as is the hunter killer (the sensor next to it is for covering the magnets up if I don't use it). Once the sponsons are magnetized, it'll just be a matter of a bit of detailing and clean-up before paint prep.

I'm really pleased with how this is turning out and, if it works, I'll definitely be getting a squadron (especially if I can get my hands on a third Deimos front plate).
[+] Expand
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 pm

No real major progress on anything, really. Still progressing on the Legion Glaive. I got side tracked, again, though.

Those who read the story of my Slow Grow army leader, Captain Herihor, know he was kept alive for 10,000 years and manipulated by the Changeling. The final culmination of this plan is the following, with the catalyst of the final step being Magnus's reveal of the whole and unadulterated truth to Herihor.
[+] Expand
Yes, he is very top heavy. The wings are each double pinned, but not yet glued in. I will have some green stuffing to do, but I've never really done much sculpting of green stuff, so I have to prepare and be ready to do that before I can complete the model.
Armies:

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:30 pm

He looks awesome though!!

If you weight the base sufficiently I should think it'll balance out the wings as well