Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:10 am

Very cool! This red metallic colour is just plain awesome! And I really like those transfers, especially the small glyphs. They add a nice feel to it!
Painted in 2017:
AdMech: 10 Rangers, 1 Vanguard, 1 Sydonian Dragoon, 1 Techpriest Dominus, 1 Infiltrator
Space Wolves: 5 Terminators, 1 Primaris Lieutenant
non GW: 1 Zombicide Survivor, 1 Infinity Hexas Multi Sniper

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:48 am

Yeah, the little golden scarab-lookin' things are really cool.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:17 am

Munin wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:48 am
The sad part about the scarab decals on the side was that I had a pair of larger ones that would have fit better in that spot, but in cutting them out, my hand slipped and literally slashed directly through the middle of one of them.... I was not happy.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:17 am
Munin wrote:
The sad part about the scarab decals on the side was that I had a pair of larger ones that would have fit better in that spot, but in cutting them out, my hand slipped and literally slashed directly through the middle of one of them.... I was not happy.
Keep it and add it to another mini, then paint battle damage over it or simply ,,sponge" some weathering over it! :)
Painted in 2017:
AdMech: 10 Rangers, 1 Vanguard, 1 Sydonian Dragoon, 1 Techpriest Dominus, 1 Infiltrator

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 pm

LordMcAllister wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:02 pm
Koonitz wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:17 am
Munin wrote:
Keep it and add it to another mini, then paint battle damage over it or simply ,,sponge" some weathering over it! :)
While I may consider that, most likely I'll just save the good one and use it in a solo area, like the front or top of a tank.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:46 am

Welp, here I was all concerned and stressed over the time it was taking me to complete my models for the SloGro, and, in doing so, I ended up blitzing them far faster than I thought. I still haven't even played a single game for this month, yet!

Aetherfire Minions to go with the Horrors and Sprites.
[+] Expand
The last three rubric marines for my squad, including the soulreaper cannon. I cannot express how much I love this mark of Forge World rotor cannon.
[+] Expand
The full 1,000 point army.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:54 am

The white boltgun bodies are an interesting and unusual touch. Very eye-catching. Me likey! :)

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 am

Your army is looking amazing so far and I have to concur on the white boltguns, a really nice touch!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Been quiet for me on the painting front. Couldn't paint any more of my SloGro army until the start of September. However, it is now September, and I've completed my previous month's games. It's time to get to painting, again. Much to my delight, the 4 games I had last month played out a narrative that I couldn't help but write this story for.

----

With a simple suggestion, a plan set in motion one month ago was now ready to come to fruition. A ritual, penned in a time forgotten even by those who remembered the Unification Wars on Terra, that could grant power, and pave the way for allies who could help in this time of strife.

With the first few steps on a planet wracked with rebellion and civil war, Herihor sought the ancient tome, stolen long ago by a forgotten Xenos faction, following a rumour that a strike team of the Death Watch had recovered the vault it was hidden in. Fighting a band of the rebels into submission and interrogating the magus who submitted, Herihor was able to locate the encampment of the Death Watch. The Magus was released, unharmed.

The voice of his advisor, now a witch of a great many years, suggested caution, for the Death Watch are not to be trusted. Villians, holding the treasures of knowledge within the tome for themselves. Calling the Death Watch out to battle, Herihor engaged and defeated these defenders and, much to the delight of his advisor, reclaimed the lost tome.

It took some time for Herihor and his apprentice to study the ritual. Eventually determining that it would require a great deal of energy, more so than any mortal could provide, even a gene-enhanced Astartes, it was decided that a suitable relic would be necessary to fuel the ritual.

While his advisor suggested several suitable options, knowing the bands of Tzaangor abhumans could easily locate any one, Herihor set his gaze upon one such relic guarded by a familiar band of Space Wolves. Leaving his advisor disappointed and frustrated at the waste of time over such petty things as revenge, Herihor sought out and attacked the Space Wolf band in a grudge match, emerging triumphant, claiming the powerful relic for the ritual.

All that remained was a suitable location to perform it. Guided, with much reproach, to the prime location on a nearby planet, a further set back was thrown into Herihor's path. Having heard of the pending ritual, a nearby strike team of Dark Angels Space Marines sought out the ritual site in an effort to disrupt it, claiming it and digging in.

With a screech of anger, Herihor's advisor told him to crush these impudent traitors as she slipped into the shadows. With some effort, the ritual site was finally secure. Signalling his trusted Sekhmet bodyguards to bring the relic out, Herihor knew it was time to begin.....

---

The cloaked figure that revealed itself at the end of the ritual, carried upon the winds of an aether storm, floated calmly in the middle of a pack of aether rays. Its shadowed hood looked straight down the length of Herihor's combi-melta, unconcerned at the firepower that pointed in its direction.

As sure as Herihor was that he had never seen this creature before in his very long life, his finger hesitated on the trigger. It was familiar. In a way he simply could not fathom. A moment's pause, a breath of hesitation, was all it took as the creature reached its staff out, gently pressing upon the weapon, lowering it.

The Great Manipulator has finally revealed itself and has come to guide one of its most ambitious projects directly.

----

Each game played its part (Genestealer Cult, Death Watch, Space Wolves, Dark Angels), leading up to the reveal of the one who was pulling the strings of the poor, misguided Archaeologist, Herihor. And so is revealed the next 500 points in my SloGro campaign.

The Changeling
5 Aether Rays (Screamers)
5 Sekhmet Cabal (Scarab Occult) with 1 Soulreaper cannon.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Got stuff painted! 5 Aether Rays. I'm really happy with how they came out. I was terrified of doing the eyes. Had a couple that came out thicker than I would have liked, but no true derps.
[+] Expand
Belly shot 'cause I wanted people to see that I brightened the underside, too.
Armies:

Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Signet-Powers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 am

You needn't have worried about the eyes, they look really good! I also love the way you've painted the rest of the bodies, the shading makes them look organic and realistically fleshy.

That little story was pretty cool as well btw

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks for the comments, Signet. I appreciate them.

Finished another model. The Changeling. I'm not terribly pleased with my job overall. I think I kinda rushed him a bit just to get him done (had some motivation problems with getting him painted) and didn't bother going back to fix some mistakes.
[+] Expand
Let me show off that staff, though. Oh, man, am I ever pleased with how it came out!
[+] Expand
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:47 am

With my friend busy and delayed in finishing the airbrush base coat of my Sekhmet Cabal Terminators, and my order of a Castellax-Achea coming with two left legs (seriously!), I was delayed in working on more SloGro stuff. As such, it was time for some experimentation.

I decided to do my Rotor Cannon support squad's Sergeant:
[+] Expand
It's not a perfect legal fit (he has to replace his rotor cannon for the melee weapon in 30k, so I'm going to count him as having replaced his pistol, instead, if anyone argues against rule-of-cool). I'm going, of course, for the effect of the cannon being held in a telekinetic field, instead of more manual operation. I'll be removing the hand, and adding an ammo box (probably one of the 40k heavy bolter boxes or two) and ammo belt to the gun to bulk it up. I could, instead, replace the backpack with the traditional ammo backpack for the model, but I feel it loses the coolness of being telekinetically held when it is still attached to the model's body.

I still need to find a way that I like to hold the gun up. I don't really like the flying stand (about twice as thick as I'd prefer) and don't like the idea of using some other effect coming out of the ground (like the Changeling, posted directly above, or other Tzeentch discs). In the end, no matter how it's painted, it feels too solid and based on the inspiration, the gun has to feel like it's free floating. Nothing connecting it to the ground in any substantial way (even with the flying base, it gives me more the feel of a turret rather than a floating gun).

One idea I had was to pin/double-pin the gun sideways to the model. I could cover the pin(s) with the ammo box, which could be attached to the inside of the gun, filling up the majority of the space between the body and gun. If I do the ammo backpack and belt feed, the belt feed could help support the gun, but would not work to hold it, as the resin is thin and fragile and I guarantee it would break within weeks.

If anyone has any insight to help, here's the inspiration for the pose (disclaimer: Pony):
[+] Expand
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Been a while. Wanted to toss an update in as I've almost finished my Sekhmet Cabal Terminators.
[+] Expand
The only thing left, really, is the ammo belt to the backpack for the assault cannon. The cannon is magnetized to be able to be replaced with a regular combi-bolter, as the 30k squad cannot take heavy weapon upgrades (this was done so I can field them with a soulreaper cannon in 40k). The green stuff is now drying, which was used to hide the piece of metal so it can magnetize into the ammo backpack, allowing it to be removed with the assault cannon.
Armies:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 am

They'll surely be a nice addition to your existing army! What's up next?
Painted in 2017:

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”