Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

Post by Nappen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:50 am

looks good. strange that the painter's tape didn't work. Maybe too much pressure with the airbrush?

Looking good and hope the league is going well.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:17 am

I can't see what's wrong with the stripes on the exhaust, but obviously you will have a better view than me :P your TS force looks really clean and nice, proud members of the Legion one and all. Your Tzangors look awesome too. I bet those models were fun to make.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Nappen wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:50 am
looks good. strange that the painter's tape didn't work. Maybe too much pressure with the airbrush?

Looking good and hope the league is going well.
I didn't airbrush the gold. I hand-painted with tape guides. The paint ridged around the edges, and some did get under, ruining any straight lines.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:03 am

Fixed the gold lines. Would have preferred not having to do this, but I hated it too much to leave it alone.
[+] Expand
Also, I have a 4srsly question to ask.
[+] Expand
Do you think this is enough paint for this model?

My single bottle didn't last me 7 infantry and one Rhino, so clearly I needed more....
Should get Captain Herihor primed tomorrow, so I can finish him for my pledge this week. I'm on vacation, so I have plenty of time.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Captain Herihor of the Thousand Sons 3rd Fellowship, 6th Archaeological Expedition is now complete.
[+] Expand

Herihor was well known for being one of the youngest high priests of his planet's royalty and a prominent military commander, as well as an avid archaeologist, before he was recruited by the Thousand Sons upon the conquering of his planet during the Great Crusade. It turned out to be an easy transition for Herihor as he quickly rose in the ranks of the Thousand Sons legion. As a Captain, he gladly volunteered to head the small archaeological expeditions often left behind on many planets to seek lost knowledge the main fleets simply do not have the opportunity to remain to do.

Herihor was on one such expedition when Prospero was sieged by the sanction fleet sent by the Emperor to bring Magnus to censur. Unfortunately, no message was ever received by Herihor or his vessel. While there seem to be no records available as to why he did not receive any such message, time made it plainly clear that this was a deliberate act of misdirection.

During the early days of the Horus Heresy, there were reports of both Loyalist and Traitor fleets interacting with and, indeed fighting along-side, Captain Herihor and his expeditionary forces. Records from those times indicate that there is no denying Herihor firmly believed the Great Crusade was still progressing and he was fighting for the Emperor's forces, despite many legionary commanders attempting to convince him of the truth. Records indicate that during the later days of the Heresy, fewer and fewer loyalist forces found Herihor on the same side of the battlefield.

How it came to pass that Herihor never discovered the truth is as much a mystery as it is that, 10,000 years later, he seems just as active as he was during those times, delving into many a planet's ancient histories. How he continues to do this during these dark times of the far future is as yet unknown, as none of the Emperor's subjects seem to be able to get close enough to study and escape with their lives, or their minds, intact. Though multiple battlefield recordings seem to indicate that the man, even to these dark days, firmly believes he continues to fight for the Emperor and the Great Crusade.

Such heresy deserves increased scrutiny from the Ordo Iniquisition.
This completes the full 500 points for the first month of the SloGro League.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:48 am

Very nice!! Like the glowing effect on the top of the staff!
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Man, it's been a while. Finished my Aetherfire Horrors and Aetherfire Sprites.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 am

Looking great man! Your thousand sons are starting to shape up into a great looking force!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Heh, the little Blue Horrors are pretty adorable.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:33 pm

they are adorable haha

like the one looks like he's lifting his bud off the base (or maybe keeping him from flying off lol)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I need a bit of it to get trudging on the Tantabus. It's nice to have the red done, but there's some much work to get everything else detailed...
Guildenstern wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:33 pm
like the one looks like he's lifting his bud off the base (or maybe keeping him from flying off lol)
I believe it's called the fastball special!
[+] Expand
Armies:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 am

bwhahah that's great =D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Going out to some tabletop RP with friends, so had to stop short of completing the tank, but I wanted to post these today as it's almost done. Just need to touch up the decals (maybe add one or two more), then dust up the treads and I think I've finished the Tantabus.
[+] Expand
After the fall of Prospero and the excommunicate traitorus marking of the Zhao-Arkhad Forge World, a number of techno-heretical projects came to light. One of the more well known was the Osiron contemptor modifications and the Castellax-Achea battle-automata, which replaced the common cyber-cortex with a psi-control matrix, allowing psykers to directly link and control the machines.

Many such secret projects became lost with the sacking and destruction of Prospero, and the Zhao-Arkhad Prosperine fane. However, with the return of Captain Herihor to the galaxy at large in the 41st millenium, new light was shone on one such forgotten project. It was known as the "Daybreaker project", and only scant details could be restored from the recovered databanks. The Daybreaker project utilized a relatively unstable psi-reactive crystal.

The crystals in question were studied by Adeptus Mechanicus and Astra-telepathica agents early in the post Heresy centuries. They were determined to be warp-tainted, and unfit for use as foci, with side-effects ranging from mild headaches and nightmares after brief moments of use, up to permanent loss of mental faculties and death with prolonged exposure. While most psykers would write the crystals, and indeed, their non-descript world of origin off as unusable, it seems the Thousand Sons saw fit to perform further tests on them. The Daybreaker project was created to test the potential for weaponizing this crystal. Using a small number of Sicaran Venator pattern battle tanks and their highly destructive neutron beam lasers, the tainted crystals were cut and formed into the light amplifying crystals used by the laser.

What the results of these tests were at the time are as of yet unknown, as the data has not yet been recovered. However, with the return of Captain Herihor came one of the prototype Sicaran vehicles, now being referred to as the "Tantabus". The main armament no longer seems to fire a focused neutron laser. Eye-witness reports tell of the weapon emitting a beam of midnight purple, capable of piercing the thickest, most protective of armoured plating. Vehicles struck by the weapon find their crew compartments bathed in the enveloping darkness. Those lucky to be only grazed by the weapon found their senses dulled for moments, their vehicle's machine spirits temporarily disrupted. The unlucky, however, would be rendered irrevocably insane. Many reports indicated crews falling upon each other in paranoia or rage, or commanders inexplicably executing their crew or setting off self-destruct mechanisms.

What is known for certain is that very little can protect against such a malignant weapon, and those who sight the vehicle are advised to eradicate it before it can bring its malignatus class weapon to bear.

Last edited by Koonitz on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Armies:

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 am

Gorgeous model.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Tantabus completed. Might go back later and add some gold, but for now, it's done.
[+] Expand
Armies: