Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Koonitz's (it really is, kinda) Weekly Thread #2017

Post by Koonitz » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:25 am

Thanks. I'm really pleased with how well the wings and Sylvaneth treelord claw work with the model. He stands, for now, and the wings haven't drooped, even with being left alone for a couple days, so I'm sure he'll be fine, if I can get the green stuff right. I was likely going to stop by a hardware store and look for a couple weighty washers or something to help weigh the base down, eventually.

If I end up attending the tournament on the 25th, I'll have to finish him up, as my intended list will most likely include him. But, for now, I've been, once again, jumping around. I finally got my friend to finish the red airbrushing of my second Veteran squad, and I finally finished my "Know fear" guy. The one I shared as a WIP before.
[+] Expand
The only thing it's missing is a suitably sized muzzle flash and the squad decal on his right shoulderpad.

For those unfamiliar with the Thousand Sons lore, before reuniting with Magnus, the legion from Terra had a uniquely different colour scheme. The sword reflects this scheme, with a white blade and an orange 'M'.
[+] Expand
I think this model is one of my new favourites....
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Haven't done much painting of late, but I thought I'd at least throw these up.

The three Tzaangor Enlightened I used as Malefic lords before have now gotten their rides.
[+] Expand
And I've done up 5 more Tzaangors, including a mutant. It was nice to break out the "Blood for the Blood God" effect after a while.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 am

Seeing you progressing so nicely with your army really motivates me to do the same with mine!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 am

Another update. From zero exposed flesh, everything in power armour (and wearing their helmets), to "screw it, we don't even need shoes out here!" almost entirely exposed flesh!

I'm really pleased with how my flesh tones came out with these models. I'm pretty m'eh overall on the blue tinted metal armour. The purple tinted armour works great as a contrast to the blue skin on the Tzaangors, but when contrasted with flesh tones, the blue armour just doesn't do much for me. I just didn't want to put any more effort into a unit that is effectively considered 'cultists'.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Oooh, I really like the diversity of your skin tones - they turned out great!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:42 pm

I like them Koonitz, especially the dark tones!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words on the flesh tones. They turned out to be blindingly easy to do. It's just "desired tone colour, reikland fleshshade wash, drybrush same tone colour back over the model to brighten it back up." On the one directly on the left, it's kislev flesh, which you can see the two previous steps directly behind it. Going over the entire thing with the wash does darken the tone a bit, but I'm pretty okay with that. Still comes out bright enough for me.
LordMcAllister wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 am
Seeing you progressing so nicely with your army really motivates me to do the same with mine!
Always glad to help!
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:41 pm

Finally got another set of models completed. The second set of 5 for my first cultist squad, the Cult of Balefire.
[+] Expand
I also worked on the ride for my first Shaman, which you can see in the background above. But, for a little closer shot of the side.
[+] Expand
Of interest (and one thing that pleases me about this) is that the feet of the shaman model are actually part of the disc that comes with the kit. So what I did was take one of the Tzaangor Skyfire/Enlightened models and cut his feet off and gave them to the shaman. That way this shaman can ride a different disc (this one being from the flaming chariot kit), and the Skyfires get a unique disc (and feet, for the poor amputee), and I get a spare disc for my custom female Tzaangor Fatemaster. Such a simple conversion to give me so much. I'm rather pleased at that.

Also, yes, I know the disc sits WAY back on the base. The mount was meant for a much larger base (chariot) and I failed to pay attention to that when I glued the thing to the base (with plastic glue, so it wasn't coming apart easily).
Armies:

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:14 am

looking good.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks, Nappen.

I finished the shaman, the leader of the Coven of Tempest's Shadow. I really love how the feathers came out, and how they add a shock of colour to the model.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:47 am

Lost my motivation to paint more of the Tzaangors, so I switched gears and finished the last of the Mk. III Marines for my Thousand Sons, finishing the 20-man squad.
[+] Expand
I've painted a few Mk. III Marines in my day...
[+] Expand
Armies:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:58 am

They look lovely!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:24 am

They look very nice as always! It's a nice feeling to see your forces constantly growing, isn't it?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:00 am

The break paid off. I got back to the Tzaangors and finished the last 5 for the group of 20. I now have my 1,000 point army painted. Just need to expand it....
[+] Expand
Speaking of expanding, I'm thinking of adding the big girl, so that's what I've been working on. The GODDESS. Combining incredible arcane power, narcissistic arrogance, a thirst for knowledge, schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder (she's been absorbing minds for their knowledge for millenia, some more willful than others), and a need to be in complete control of everything around her in one unstable package.

Anyone who knows Fallout: Equestria knows exactly what I'm talking about.

(DISCLAIMER: The following is NSFW, click at your own peril)
[+] Expand

The complete model is this.
Funny thing is, I think the rock is the thing I'm most pleased with in my work on the model, thus far.
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:04 pm

The Goddess is complete. I touched up the wings a little bit more after the pictures. The wings are also magnetized for transport.

(DISCLAIMER: The following is NSFW, click at your own peril)
[+] Expand
Armies:

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”