Adrillf's Weekly Paint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Adrillf's Weekly Paint

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:27 am

Oh my, I'm terribly sorry for what happened to your minis! I believe my heart would skip a beat (or two.. maybe three) if I'd find something similar happening to my minis.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the well wishes of my army.

The good news was that there weren't too many minis on that shelf that were finished. I had Mannfred and Zacharias from WH fantasy, and then some skeletons and zombies, but other than that all of my eldar were only primed and base coated so any of the scratches and breaks aren't too devastating.

The good news is that with all of this extra attention to putting the models back together is giving me some serious motivation and inspiration as to what I want them to look like once I really start them.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:30 am

Adrillf wrote:The good news is that with all of this extra attention to putting the models back together is giving me some serious motivation and inspiration as to what I want them to look like once I really start them.
Silver linings, my friend. Silver linings.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:02 am

Everything is finally back together.

I put away the zombies and skeletons (oddly they took almost no damage) but here is Zach and Mannfred who took a good amount of chunks, and then bonus of my eldar army all put together and organized after the fall.
[+] Expand
Now to get back to my Thousand Sons, Mannfred and Tzeentch Daemons before I get to play more with those Eldar.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:13 pm

Good to see no permanent harm! Really like your Mannfred too
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Sorry for the lack of a post recently, it's finals time and so I'm grading way too many papers this week. My goal is by the end of this week is to have everything graded, and then put a healthy dent into the color blends on the daemon prince.

In depressing news, I finally pulled out battle scribe and did some simple math on what I don't have painted. It's a sad day in Adrillf painting land, because I've got 3,500 points to paint still, and that's just for my CSM/daemon army.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 pm

Adrillf wrote:Sorry for the lack of a post recently, it's finals time and so I'm grading way too many papers this week. My goal is by the end of this week is to have everything graded, and then put a healthy dent into the color blends on the daemon prince.

In depressing news, I finally pulled out battle scribe and did some simple math on what I don't have painted. It's a sad day in Adrillf painting land, because I've got 3,500 points to paint still, and that's just for my CSM/daemon army.

No no this is not sad!! Don't you know, if you paint all your minis you die?!

ok ok kidding :P

but it's good to have stuff to look forward to =D don't focus on what you've not yet completed, try to focus on what you've got done so far =D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:25 am

A question for anyone that knows - but I'm trying to procrastinate grading and doing my actual job with 40k, and so one of the things that I picked up recently on discount because of the new model was the old Lord of Change model. In all honesty, I'm not even planning on using him as a LoC for the most part, I'm planning on pairing him up with Magnus and treating him as one of the three daemon princes for the formation.

I typically do not assemble much/at all. This is in fact one of my only models that I've built fresh out of the box. I'm starting to get worried because I can't tell an important piece of information as I'm trying to dry fit him together. Does his second foot (the right leg) touch the base?

All of the ways I can spin that leg it doesn't look like the leg touches the base, but I'm really starting to doubt if the entire winged monstrosity that is the old sculpt actually balances on one clawed leg. And images like the one below make me wonder what's actually touching the base (like is the staff adding a second point of contact?)
[+] Expand
For now I'm gluing together what I can of the rest of it's body, and keeping away from the legs. Any suggestions or feedback are well appreciated because I'd really like to not have a janked LoC in my army.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:49 am

Sorry it took so long to jump on the thread and welcome to the section formerly known as "the daily paint."

Your stuff is looking great and sorry about your shelf. I think we have all gone through it at least once and glad you had few casualties. It happened to my wife once with a shelf full of wine glasses we picked up cheap in Germany. Reached up and the whole shelf came out. Wine glasses crashing all around-probably 30 broke. Now several years later we laugh as she describes my failure to think of her feet before the glass :)

I too have a lord of change-are they still finecast? Anyway, long time unbending and tyring to pose that thing. I still have not painted it two years later. Unfortunately, mine looks different from the one on the website, so not sure my experience will be relevant.

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 am

Daemon prince's right arm is finally finished, I should have done more, but yay for always having distractions!
[+] Expand
As for the Lord of Change, he's all put together now and is happily sitting in the rows of other models that are staring at me and yelling at me to put more paint on them.
[+] Expand

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:12 am

Dearly beloved, we are here this week to commemorate the life and death of four heroes of painting my Thousand Sons army. These four have been with me since the very first unit of CSM oh so long ago. They will be remembered dearly.
[+] Expand
It's also sort of freaky that all four of them decided to go empty (or dry/clot up) at about the exact same time. Luckily Walmart was open and I got replacement bottles.

In other news, I have had some serious amounts of free time this week (YAY GRADING IS ALMOST DONE, and what is left, I'm actively avoiding through painting) so my Daemon Prince has finally gotten some well needed love. The color blending on all major parts of his body are finished. I did the armor so the scratches/lower level is more visible now. I also wrapped up all of the metallics in his body, and washed them a faint blue. The skin tone I tried to tackle once again and washed it down trying to get a bit more contrast in the nooks and crannies of his body.
[+] Expand
Image Image
Only things left on him are some edge highlights on armor, weapon, and wings, some detail work on the runes on his legs, his belt, and that's it. If I'm feeling really fancy I guess I could do some stuff with the spikes and spurs on his arm and make them bones, but I'm not quite sold on that idea yet.

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Sun May 07, 2017 1:48 am

General-Kroll wrote:I really like your tzeencth colour scheme.
Thanks so much. As for this week, finals are finally finished, and I'm between semesters, so I got a healthy amount of painting in this week. I've completed the daemon prince (Franz) and the next time that I have a basing party and start doing massive amounts of basing at the same time, he'll be in that group.
[+] Expand
As for the next work, here's my next terminator lord with a combi bolter and chain fist. Notable events with this is that I had an excuse to finally use my glow in the dark paint, so officially if you get enough sun onto the model and put it in a very dark room, the tyranid head trophy glows. Just faintly, but it glows. There's only a few metal bits that I need to get some detail work into, as well as a few other small bits, and then the rock he's standing on, and he's all finished. It's amazing just how much work you can get done when you've got a lot of time, and aren't working on a big guy like the daemon prince. I'm looking forward to getting to paint small things that aren't vehicles or monstrous creatures.
[+] Expand

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun May 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Nice transitions on the cape. I like the glow in the dark idea.

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Sun May 14, 2017 11:09 pm

Nappen wrote:Nice transitions on the cape. I like the glow in the dark idea.
Thank you. The terminator doesn't look too different from what I've already shown, but just know that I finished the fur on his back cloak, edge highlighted everything, and tried to do the finishing touches on everything.

As for everything else done this week. I did a bit of assembly going into the Tzeetnch daemons to ally with my thousand sons.

In that assembly I did my first of three batches of screamers.
[+] Expand
Then also did some AoS Tzangor Enlightened, but I'm going to be using them as heralds on disks, or if in a pinch, I'm sure I could proxy them in as regular CSM sorcerers or exalted sorcerers on disks. I just wanted more things on disks (and also I wanted to be able to do a screamer star just in case because I need access to some traditional cheese with some of the power gamers around my area that don't understand what a casual friendly game means).
[+] Expand
As for actual painting, I finished all of my havoc launchers for any of my vehicles.
[+] Expand
I also started in on my raptors. Here's two of the five that are a bit more finished than the others. The others are down right ugly, but these guys are blended. I decided to use the wings from other models instead of the jump packs.
[+] Expand