Adrillf's Weekly Paint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Adrillf's Weekly Paint

Post by Adrillf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:55 pm

WARNING: PICTURES INCOMING

I want to make a weekly paint thread to keep myself motivated as well as share my pictures. I'm planning on every weekend updating this so that you can see just what I've been working on and how it's all going. Comments and critiques are ALWAYS welcome on any piece.

To start off, I wanted to share the Thousand Sons army that I'm working on and am really close to finishing. I've promised myself that once I get done painting everything I'm allowed to actually buy things that I want new instead of second hand, and/or even start a new army so that I never have to do the yellow to red gradient ever again. To be honest, I don't have the new terminators, a Magnus, or exalted sorcerers, so I'm pretty sure that as soon as I get done painting these, I'm going to go get those instead of starting something new.

I've tried to break these up into smaller units so you can see each model instead of just large blocks of models.

CSM Tzeentch Marines
[+] Expand
The first 10 CSM marines I ever did for this army

Another 10 CSM marines

Yet another 10 CSM marines

Two special weapons + banner

All 33 CSM Tzeentch Marines together
Cultists -
[+] Expand
I rushed the paint job here. I know that I could do better than this now, but it is what it is.
Thousand Sons Rubric Marines
[+] Expand
First unit
Second Unit - yes I have them modeled with chain swords, and I know they can't use them, but that's how I got them, and I like having some diversity, so I never changed them.
Two models that I've used as spare the Aspiring Sorcerers to get out more units, or just regular Rubric Marines if I need more there.
Officially an Aspiring Sorcerer model, but typically just because I like the model and paint job he gets upgraded to a full fledged sorcerer.
Everyone all together, sorcerers in the front, regular Rubric Marines in the back.
Helldrake
[+] Expand
This models is the reason for the paint scheme I have. I saw this model and knew that I wanted to do this to it, but then realized that I had to do it to every other model in the army. He was my prize for getting half way through my army. He's definitely one of my happier moments in painting and he turned out just about like I wanted him to.
Tzeentch Daemon Prince
[+] Expand
This is the first Daemon Prince to the army. Unofficially his name is Hanz (the other one is named Franz and is my current WIP)
Chaos Lord
[+] Expand
Helbrute
[+] Expand
Terminators
[+] Expand
Terminator Lord
The rest of the squad
Rhinos
[+] Expand
Predator
[+] Expand
Warp Talons
[+] Expand
Currently the last works in progress that I have for this group is the second daemon prince, Franz, a unit of raptors, a unit of possessed, a unit of chosen and one more rhino. I have those guys primed, based, and some details started, but you'll see more of those in the upcoming weeks. Hope you enjoy.

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: Adrillf's Weekly Paint

Post by Iguana1981 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:10 pm

That is some serious work there. Think I like the heldrake the most, the gradients are very good, that must have taken some serious time.

Not sure how tzeentch would feel about a rhino of his being vandalised by the mark of Khorne though!

Your highlighting is great, all together an unusual colour scheme well done.
Black Legion ~ 450PL/8110
Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449
Tau - 121PL /2152
Eldar - 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Iguana1981 wrote:Not sure how tzeentch would feel about a rhino of his being vandalised by the mark of Khorne though!
Shhhhh, you're not supposed to notice. But yeah, second hand models, and I quickly realized it was easier and cleaner to keep that thing on rather than remove it because apparently it's stuck there for good and wasn't worth the fight.

Thanks for the feedback!

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Iguana1981 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Haha, yeah I used to get a lot of my stuff second hand from eBay etc, and it always made a mess trying to remove stuff.

Great work, look forward to your future posts
Black Legion ~ 450PL/8110
Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449
Tau - 121PL /2152
Eldar - 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

Imperia
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Imperia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:37 pm

The colours are really striking, and prone to being copied :shock:

I really like your models, and I have been looking for some inspiration on a colour scheme, and the orange looks so good, and to be honest orange is criminally underused in Warhammer 40k

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:13 pm

These are magnificent Thousand Sons! The gradients are amazing and I love the steel blue that you used. It's quite original together with the orange. I'm impressed! Will you get the new TS models at some point? I have some and they are really amazing!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Lovely lovely work!!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 am

Kovlovsky wrote:Will you get the new TS models at some point? I have some and they are really amazing!
I've got Magnus, exalted sorcerers, and some scarab occult terminators in boxes. Once I'm done painting what's assembled they're next on my to do list. They do look amazing and I'm looking forward to try my best to not screw it up.

Edit:
Almost forgot - thank you everyone for your kind words. I'll try my best to keep you updated on how the army is going weekly.

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 am

Sorry for the late post, I was originally going to post this yesterday, but time got away from me with family visiting. This week's painting has been on my second Daemon Prince. I'm not quite sure if I like his skin tone this light, his counter part has significantly darker skin. The only worry I have with the skin is that it looks flat and that I didn't go strong enough with the washes and highlights because it looks close enough to the same color that there's not much of a difference in what I did throw in. The harsh direct light doesn't really help much either to try to show the differences. Either way, I did the skin, layered things down, washed it, highlighted it back up, and then started in on some of the color blends.
[+] Expand

The goal is by next week to be done with all of the color blending (which takes typically about two or three paintings per area to look solid and not blocky) and if I'm lucky I'll get some of the metalics done.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 pm

He looks very good although that I agree about the skin looking a bit flat. It will probably look better after the details are done and if you add a little more washes maybe. The colour blending is again really good looking.

Oh and earlier you were talking about that Rubric Marines don't typically have chainswords. In fact, there are some novels where the author claims them to be equiped with chainswords and even power weapons. In Christ Wraight's Battle of the Fang and the prequel The Hunt for Magnus, there are many instances where the Rubrics use chainswords and even power weapons to defend against Space Wolves charges. So, it's not that much out of character really. However, these two books are also pretty much alone in showing this. Power weapons are certainly exagerated (and we have to say that Wraight seems to be very generous about the number of power weapons availlable in the force he describes like, by example, having lowly Blood Claws running everywhere with power fists, wolf claws and power axes), but Rubric Marines having chainswords as sidearms isn't out of question I think. And about weird weaponry on Rubric Marines, I can't really criticise you. When I assembled my first ones long ago (late in the 3rd edition), I modelled one of them about to fire with a bolt pistol in the left hand and a bolter in the right hand. :D It certainly looks cool, but a bit out of character. :P

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:15 am

My painting will take a slight delay. Last night I went up to my office to paint a bit and ran into this.
[+] Expand
One of my shelves decided to fall out of the wall yesterday. Oddly most of the models that I thought would not have survived the fall (skeletons, zombies, even some of the guardians in the Eldar force that have fine bits on them) worked out just fine and there were no injuries from them, or at least very few injuries. For example, my swooping hawk unit made it through the fall without any issue to their wings or bases at all.

However, a lot of things did break.

So, instead of painting, I've gone back to superglue and trying to puzzle piece models back together in hopes of making any of the breaks not super evident.

Adrillf
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Adrillf » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:19 am

Kovlovsky wrote:He looks very good although that I agree about the skin looking a bit flat. It will probably look better after the details are done and if you add a little more washes maybe. The colour blending is again really good looking.

Oh and earlier you were talking about that Rubric Marines don't typically have chainswords. In fact, there are some novels where the author claims them to be equiped with chainswords and even power weapons. In Christ Wraight's Battle of the Fang and the prequel The Hunt for Magnus, there are many instances where the Rubrics use chainswords and even power weapons to defend against Space Wolves charges. So, it's not that much out of character really. However, these two books are also pretty much alone in showing this. Power weapons are certainly exagerated (and we have to say that Wraight seems to be very generous about the number of power weapons availlable in the force he describes like, by example, having lowly Blood Claws running everywhere with power fists, wolf claws and power axes), but Rubric Marines having chainswords as sidearms isn't out of question I think. And about weird weaponry on Rubric Marines, I can't really criticise you. When I assembled my first ones long ago (late in the 3rd edition), I modelled one of them about to fire with a bolt pistol in the left hand and a bolter in the right hand. :D It certainly looks cool, but a bit out of character. :P
Thank you! It's always nice to hear reasons that what I'm doing should be allowed. For some reason there's a few guys around where I play who are WYSIWYG and fluff freaks, so anything that doesn't play by either the fluff or WYSIWYG gets looked down on. One of them tried to shun me about how I was doing my army "all wrong".

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:44 am

That picture of your shelf is just super painful, it just physically hurts to look at! :(

I do love the colour scheme you went with! That kind of gradient stuff army wide is something for better men ( and women) than me! Hope you are able to fix your stuff soon!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Arnathos wrote:That picture of your shelf is just super painful, it just physically hurts to look at! :(

I do love the colour scheme you went with! That kind of gradient stuff army wide is something for better men ( and women) than me! Hope you are able to fix your stuff soon!
This ^^

so so ouchies :( I literally cringed when I saw that. So hoping it goes ok getting everything back together!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Oh! That's terrible! I feel bad for ya! :cry: When I first saw the picture, I thought it was your cat who was responsible for the devastation haha! I shouldn't laugh of it however, it must be very frustrating. I just hope nothing was broken permanently.

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”