Rouven's Weekly Paint 2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Re: Rouven's Weekly Paint 2017

Post by Rouven » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:54 am

I just transferred all the pictures of this thread to imgur. I guess I won't do this with my other pictures, but since this thread works as a kind of diary for me I wanted to have them back.

I'm back in Germany now (and will have to go to work tomorrow) and started working on three more Plague Marines. One of them is nearly finished, but I haven't taken any pictures yet.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:48 pm

Sweet! can't wait to see more of them - really like what you've done with them so far
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:07 am

I'm not really playing 40K anymore, but MAN the new Nurgle Marines are sick-looking! Those are some really cool and creepy sculpts. I especially like the dude with the axe that has three little buzz-saws in it.

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Munin wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:07 am
I especially like the dude with the axe that has three little buzz-saws in it.
Lord of Contagion!

They are amazing and Rouven you are doing an amazing job on them!! Seriously impressive look to them!
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks all.
I agree - the sculpts are really cool. They are the reason why I started collecting Nurgle stuff. I don't know much about the stats.

Here are the three marines that I finished last week.

Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:56 am

Very nice! How did you do the "smoke" part on the guy in the middle?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:31 am

Those guys are looking top notch! Great sculpts and you really did them justice!

I also love those pox walkers, it will be really impressive seeing them on the tabletop!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 am

LordMcAllister wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:56 am
Very nice! How did you do the "smoke" part on the guy in the middle?
I used a basecoat of Ulthuan Grey and applied a glaze made of very little Sotek Green + a lot of Lahmian Medium. Finally I highlighted a few lines with White Scar - really easy.
Painted in 2018:

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:34 am

The new sculpts are nice. I may have to break into that box soon...

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:29 pm

This reminds me that this is actually the second squad of Plague Marines that I've ever painted. The following are some minis that I must have painted 15-20 years ago. I remember that I was really pleased with them at that time because I used a couple of (actually really basic) techniques on them that I had never tried out before (like edge highlights or applying a glaze).

Painted in 2018:

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:52 pm

Ooh...I have some of those models...they have come a long way!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:13 pm

The smoke coming out of the censer on the middle dude's back is gorgeously eye-catching! Very nice!

And I too painted some of those old Plague Marines back in the day (alas for a commission, and back in those days we never thought to take photos). I remember having fun painting all the little flies and pustules.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Those old models do have some charm! I like the cords showing in the torso, but the modern helmets are better I think.

Not a bad paint job at all for your earlier minis!!

Mine were horrendous and not worth keeping lol
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi!

It's been a while since my last post here, so it's really time for an update.

I finished my first two groups of Plague Marines:

Next, I'm going to finish my Riptide - it's been sitting on my desk for a few months now and it shouldn't take too long to finish it.
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:07 am

Great work! I especially like the pattern you gave the wings of the little fly on the mini in the middle of the second picture! The coolest pose still goes to the guy right next to him with the sword and the boltpistol. Still love the ghostly smoke on that guy!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard