Rouven's Weekly Paint 2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Rouven's Weekly Paint 2017

Post by Rouven » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:40 am

I've never posted in this sub-forum before, but since it motivates me a lot to see all your guys' progress I thought I should give it a go. My two armies are Orks and Tau.

At the moment I'm mainly painting Tau. As I mentioned in the armies on parade thread I've got many more models than you can see in the picture above. This thread here is also meant as a motivation for myself to get rid of as many grey minis and cast frames as possible.

Here is a list of my unfinished Tau minis:

2 1 units of Pathfinders (1 assembled, 1 in frame)
2 1 units of Fire Warriors (1 assembled, 1 in frame)
1 Commander (half-painted)
1 Commander in Iridium Armour (in frame)
3 2 Ethereals (1 half-painted, 2 1 in frame)
2 1 Ghostkeels (in frame)
1 Riptide (assembled and primed)
8 3 Stealth Suits (5 assembled and primed, 3 in frame)
3 Crisis Suits (in frame)
3 Broadsides (in frame)
2 Piranhas (half-painted)
2 Hammerhead Gunships (assembled)
2 Devilfish (1 assembled, 1 in frame)
1 Stormsurge (in frame)

Writing this list is really embarrassing :oops: - I had not really realised how many minis I have not painted yet. Plus I have to make sure that my wife never sees this list... :wink:

I guess the best way would be to finish the half-finished minis first. The half-painted commander especially is a model that could be finished relatively quickly and would be very useful on the battlefield. On the other hand, I've just finished painting a Stealth Suit as a kind of prototype, so I guess I'll concentrate on the Stealth Suits first.

ImageImage
Last edited by Rouven on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Rouven's Weekly Paint 2017

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:47 am

That's a real impressive amount of well painted miniatures! Unfortunatly those Xenos scum dies so fast...
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:58 pm

hehe that's not too many minis - you're doing great!! I have over 370 (I basically stopped counting after that.)

Love to see your stuff as you go as well :D they look so cool now!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 am

As planned I continued painting my unit of Stealth Suits. I made good progress on two of them (red highlights, some details and the bases are missing) and basecoated three more. I'm trying to paint the second unit of three as if they were activating their stealth suits - I'm not sure whether I can pull that off, but I guess, I'll just try. That's the reason for the brownish half of the suit on the very left.

Moreover, two of the suits have magnetized weapons.

Oh, and I found another unit of three on a shelf... (so I have to correct my list from my first entry).

Last edited by Rouven on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:59 am

You're most likely to find still more stuff laying around! :mrgreen:

I think magnetizing weapons is a really cool thing. It's really worth the effort if there is more than one valid option. I like the stealth effect on the one suit. Are you planing to add a small (bright) blue trim to the transition of the two colors to create some kind of "transition effect" from "stealth mode" and "non-stealth mode"? Or anything similar? Or are you leaving him like that?
Painted in 2018:
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:57 am

LordMcAllister wrote:I like the stealth effect on the one suit. Are you planing to add a small (bright) blue trim to the transition of the two colors to create some kind of "transition effect" from "stealth mode" and "non-stealth mode"? Or anything similar? Or are you leaving him like that?
Yes, definitely. I will try out a kind of lightning/ electricity effect.
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:14 am

Rouven wrote:
LordMcAllister wrote:I like the stealth effect on the one suit. Are you planing to add a small (bright) blue trim to the transition of the two colors to create some kind of "transition effect" from "stealth mode" and "non-stealth mode"? Or anything similar? Or are you leaving him like that?
Yes, definitely. I will try out a kind of lightning/ electricity effect.
Great, I'm really looking forward to it! I would've been disappointed if you wouldn't have wanted to do this, anyway. ;)
Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:37 pm

I managed to complete my painting pledge, which means that I finished my first unit of Stealth Suits.

As mentioned before I would like to try out an effect which is supposed to look as if the suits were activating their stealth mode. This is my first try:

I think it turned out convincingly enough. Perhaps I should try to tint the background of the effect in an even darker blue, to make the lighnings pop a litte bit more. My biggest concerns were the blending of the blue into brown, red and black tones, but that was much easier than I thought (glasing, glasing, glasing).
Last edited by Rouven on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:01 am

Personally, I think the stealth-effect looks great! Next time you might consider drilling the barrels of the bigger gun! ;)
Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:50 am

LordMcAllister wrote:Next time you might consider drilling the barrels of the bigger gun! ;)
The bigger gun is a fusion blaster - a kind of Tau melter and I always imagined the circles as some kind of hotplates... although I have to confess that I did that in order to avoid the drilling of the barrels. :wink:
Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:37 am

General-Kroll wrote:It looks awesome, you should be proud of yourself for trying something new and pushing yourself.
Thank you!
Painted in 2018:

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Seriously, the idea of painting the effect is amazing and so is the result. It's really convincing! Well done!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:Seriously, the idea of painting the effect is amazing and so is the result. It's really convincing! Well done!
Thank you. To be honest, this was not my idea. I saw a similar effect on some minis painted by Brush4Hire aka Death Ray Designs a couple of years ago. Since then I've always wanted to try this effect myself.
Painted in 2018:

Rouven
Silver Vault Member

Post by Rouven » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:54 am

I didn't paint much last week. I continued painting the two remaining stealth suits, but I don't have any pictures to share.
Painted in 2018: