Arnathos's's #theweeklypaint 2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Arnathos's's #theweeklypaint 2017

Post by Arnathos » Mon May 22, 2017 1:39 am

Exactly a week now! This took me quite a while to paint(compared to other teams) but I finally finished my Underworld team! And I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, the goblins aren't great, but they will do.

Pics:
[+] Expand
Not really sure what to paint now though, I have some Blood Bowl orcs still, but they are missing the extra blitzers and blorcs, so I don't really want to start those yet. I might paint some chaos that I have lying around.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:14 am

Despite having vacation, painting has been slow. I finished a lone test model for my inquisitorial acolytes, which I found out was no longer WYSIWYG with the new edition. My chosen and much of my chaos marines which I carefully converted to have close combat weapons, pistols as well as bolters are also in the same boat.

I finally started painting an Empire 'celestial' wizard on warhorse. The wizard model itself is very generic, it has a sword and staff associated with the lore of shadow, keys of aqshy, a twin tailed comet on his helmet. The staff was missing the top so I replaced it with a clearly celestial order bit from the old wizards on foot kit. The warhorse is one I orphaned making a brettonian Blood Bowl team, it looks pretty fancy.

I also made slight progress on my combi-bolter champ, which, again, is no longer WYSIWYG. There are also 10 converted chaos cultists staring at me, not even primed yet. I really need to get a routine of painting back!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 am

This mutated beast in your blood bowl team, did you convert it from the new bb-troll or is it some kind of forge world standard mini? The claw is pretty cool and the transition of red to black is nicely executed! I never seem to get transitions this fluently.
Painted in 2017:
AdMech: 10 Rangers, 1 Vanguard, 1 Sydonian Dragoon, 1 Techpriest Dominus, 1 Infiltrator
Space Wolves: 5 Terminators, 1 Primaris Lieutenant
non GW: 1 Zombicide Survivor, 1 Infinity Hexas Multi Sniper

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:53 am

It is the GW plastic troll, with 1 hand replaced with a Spawn claw. I drilled out the belly so it could fit the large eye from the spawn kit, made a hole in the spine to fit the tentacle/tail from the spawn kit there and used some greenstuff for the shoulder tentacle. The colour transitions were actually my first attempt at wet-blending, mixing khorne red and stegadon scale green on the palet and smoothing them on the model while still wet, the tail/tentacle needed some fixing after but it wasn't super hard.

I chose the colours to match the old catalogue chaos trolls as that is basically what the warpstone troll is.

I also moved the position of his left lower arm so it wouldn't cover his face entirely. His pose does remain a bit weird however, like he is dancing or a jump scare pose! :D
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:27 am

Finally some pics!
[+] Expand
Not my best work, but it will look adequate next to the rest of my Empire army. This is the first time in over a year I've painted anything fantasy, it was a nice break. I did really have to force myself through the process though. Now I need to get working on the cultists and chaos champion that have been staring at me for almost half a year now! :s
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:47 am

Very nice freehand paintings on this wizard!
Painted in 2017:
AdMech: 10 Rangers, 1 Vanguard, 1 Sydonian Dragoon, 1 Techpriest Dominus, 1 Infiltrator
Space Wolves: 5 Terminators, 1 Primaris Lieutenant
non GW: 1 Zombicide Survivor, 1 Infinity Hexas Multi Sniper

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:53 am

Thanks! I thought I'd never play 8th edition again, but 2 weeks ago, a bunch of guys from another town wanted to have a massive 8th edition battle!

There were 5 of us, so it went on to be a 3 vs 2, 6000 points per side, Empire vs Lizardmen, Tomb Kings and Warriors of chaos. It took forever, everyone except me was pretty green when it came to warhammer 8th edition, but it was a fun battle and looked really epic! Cannons do have a bit of an anti-climax factor though and did a lot of heavy lifting for the Empire. It was nice to get my new wizard out, as well as play Karl Franz on the Imperial Dragon(my profile pic). Despite the points sink that is KF, the empire did extremely well and won a crushing victory.

I have pics, but uploading pics is really something that has become such a bother, with Photobucket now also gone and I don't really like facebook as much either.

I've hardly gotten any painting done the past few weeks, I've had my painting gear in storage and just cannot seem to motivate myself to paint, despite it being vacation time and me having all the time in the world to paint.

I assembled some heavy bolter weapon teams for my Imperial guard, as a cheap way to fill slots, but again I feel no desire to actually paint them up.

Today I brought out the painting table again and converted up my interpretation of Helmut Wulf as a Blood Bowl star player, using a spare human lineman, a chaos space marine heavy bolter and a sentinel chainsaw, as well as the bald on top head from the empire state troops box, to fit the new concept art for him. I do want to get started on painting right away, but the greenstuff is still curing and I don't have a curing accelerant! D:

I've also forced myself to put some paint on a bunch of chaos cultists I have lying around, but again motivation is low.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 am

Glad you had such an epice 8th ed Fantasy battle! I will try to get my friend to undust his Lizardmen. My Bretonnians are desiring a good scrap!

Honestly, Photobucket was already kind of driving me nuts with the horrible number of video ads that slowed down my computer to a crawl. I think I'm going to try Imgur instead.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Well just gonna use facebook for the time being. I painted something, for the first time in like 3-4 weeks!

Helmut Wulf, Chainsaw-Wielding Looney for hire!

My lizardmen aren't doing too stellar where team value is concerned, so it was suggested by some of the more experienced players that I try bringing Helmut Wulf for some chainsaw spite. I had the bits laying around, a human lineman, spare chaos marine heavy bolter and sentinel chainsaw as well as a state troop empire head. Went with the new art work for Wulf, rather than the more classic look.

He had his first match today, chainsawed a ghoul to very little effect, then ran toward a flesh golem, focusing all his attention on his feet, rather than the chainsaw in his hands and managed to slap himself in the face with the blunt end of it, knocking himself unconscious and being ejected by the ref shortly after. Cheating doesn't pay.

Skinks and some bad die rolls on my opponents part caused the match to end in a 2-0 victory for the lizzies!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:26 am

So, again some time without painting, yesterday I finally assembled the last models for my orc team and went on a painting frenzy, I usually don't share much WIP shots, but I was quite happy with the amount of basecoating I got done yesterday in just a couple of hours.

I am considering adding more reds to the other orcs as well, not just the blitzers, as I see the need to break up the Yellow/Blue/green, might do the metal bits first though to see how needed it is, as I would like to keep the Blitzers more red than the others due to NAF positional colour recommendations, on the other hand, more green on the troll and black orcs seems like a bad idea, and grey on the linemen and white on the throwers also doesn't really feel right, not to mention even more yellow goblins!

You might also notice that I have a total of 21 models (not counting turn markers) in the works, the Orc team has so many positionals and options that I felt I wanted to get some more flexibility in there.

I've also started plotting a Dark elf team, but not sure where to get the extra money for it! And I really should 'finish my 'nurgle team' first, which consists of a single beast of nurgle at the moment.

I also still have a bunch of 40k stuff, but not really feeling that at all, the Blood Bowl bug still has me in its vicious jaws :(
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Dheiti
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:13 am

I do love bloodbowl! Especially when you get such a good looking team as that!!
Armies:
Tyranids
White Scars
Death Guard
Harlequins

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:18 am

Dheiti wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:13 am
I do love bloodbowl! Especially when you get such a good looking team as that!!
Thanks a lot! :D And Blood Bowl is a great game, my only regret is not getting more games in! I finished my orcs this weekend and took some pics today.

Yellow was a mistake, I don't like to admit it, but yeah. It is no where near as sharp looking as I would have liked, but at least I got something painted again.

I've already started plotting a Dark Elf team, the only snag being getting my hands on a box of Witch elves, it is a bit pricey when you only need 2 models from the box :P I also need to get my hands on more hydra gauntlets, for blitzers. But I already ordered the plastic assassin/shadowblade, which will probably be a test model.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:01 am

More Blood Bowl:

It is insanely hard to get a good angle on this guy, the model is really nice, but his position is so contorted that you can't really see all of the details in just 2 angles. I did no conversion whatsoever on this guy though, which is a nice change I guess. I am also really happy with the black/Scorpion(moot) Green colour scheme and can't wait to get a whole Dark Elf team going. I just need to find some extra Hydra Gauntlets from somewhere...
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Got some GW containers and barrels painted, nothing too fancy. Also made 6 of the barrels into objective markers so I finally have some of those. Also finally got an inquisitorial acolyte that I painted ages ago based. No pics sadly.

Also painted up a beast of nurgle last week, which was my last model meant for blood bowl purposes. The local store is finally starting an open competition, so my teams might see some actual table top action in the near future. This means I might need to paint up a coin, some balls and turn/re-roll markers for my brettonians, which will probably be human spares.

I've had no luck getting my hands on extra Hydra Gauntlets for a potential Dark Elf team, but there is no rush with that yet, it'll probably be a few weeks before I'll be certain if I can acquire the rest of the models I want for the team.

I also feel somewhat obliged to look into a nurgle team, but I do feel that Dark elves would better fit in the gap of my current teams.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”