Arnathos's's #theweeklypaint 2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Arnathos's's #theweeklypaint 2017

Post by Arnathos » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Its been a while, school is keeping me busy, among other things, like laziness. I have been painting this year, so far I have finished some forgeworld rapiers and crew and today I finally finished up 10 possessed I have been working on for weeks.

I am now starting the process of finally removing the last 25mm bases from the power armoured dudes in my Chaos Space Marine army. Here are some pics, 2 sorcerers are missing from the pic, they are old ones painted in a Black Legion theme, so not much to look at anyway.
[+] Expand
My re-basing project, can't wait to actually use my possessed again after having them stuck in a box for over a year!

Pics of the 10 new possessed I painted up.
I am sort of dismayed at the terrible quality of the old possessed paint jobs and I can safely say my painting has improved a LOT since ~2012/13. I think I might HAVE to touch up their paint jobs just a bit as the contrast is pretty dire. Like most of you though, I have a large queue of models waiting on paintjobs.

I am pretty sure that I would have enough models to keep me busy the entire year if I would not purchase anything new, but I was planning on buying at least the new Blood Bowl starter to complete my humans and get a pitch at home so I can play here as well. I also have a skaven team assembled, missing a Rat Ogre, but otherwise ready for painting, which should be a nice change from all the red power armour I have been painting as of late.

My next project after basing the chaos models on my painting table will either be the Skaven or the container set from GW, as we have a tournament coming up in just over a month. I probably won't be playing but I will be judging and borrowing some of my terrain for the occasion to make sure we have some fly looking(and hopefully functional) tables.

I seem to be unable to upload pics to photobucket with my PC(probably a chrome thing, not sure), so I have taken to doing it by phone so the quality will vary, but at least I have something to show. A happy new year to everyone here and I hope to get some stuff done despite school work!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Arnathos's's #theweeklypaint 2017

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Very nice! I don't suppose you could do a brief how-to on your reds and silvers? I love the way you highlight the red so that it looks darker around the edges, most people go for edge highlighting there. And your silvers have a really good range of the dark dirty portions and a really bright shine when lit up.

I fully support your Skaven work, although I would bet those containers are pretty quick to paint up so it is probably worth it to get those knocked out for your tournament. As always loving your work!
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks hound!

My reds these days (for the possessed on the left) are Khorne red, followed by a wash of nuln oil, then they are brought back to khorne red leaving the recesses and edges dark, then some wazdakka on the higher parts, followed by reinland fleshshade to tie it all together.

The silvers are a couple of thin layers of Ironbreaker with nuln oil, focussing mainly on the recesses.

The other possessed have things like edge highlights of wazdakka on khorne red washed with fleshshade, which is waaay too much work. The oldest ones are just khorne red highlighted with wazdakka.

The skin is ratskin flesh with a druchii violet wash, followed by layers of ratskin flesh with more and more skull white mixed in (for the newer ones). This is of course a speed painting crime, as it is inconsistent over large units and wastes quite a bit of paint. (Wet palets help)

My old skin was just ratskin washed with reikland fleshshade, which really looks amateurish. Considering that I can just highlight it to bring it in line with the newer possessed. A wash on the reds would probably help as well.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:19 am

These guys look great! I really like what you've done with the flesh tones - they're bright enough to draw attention without being garish. High-contrast with the red, but not too cartoony. Very well done.

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:05 am

Munin wrote:These guys look great! I really like what you've done with the flesh tones - they're bright enough to draw attention without being garish. High-contrast with the red, but not too cartoony. Very well done.
Thanks man! I appreciate it!

I managed to base 20 possessed, 6 rapier crew and 2 sorcerers, which brings all my chaos power armour to 32mm. I took pics but they were terrible, might still upload them at a later date, or take new ones, I haven't decided yet.

I couldn't bring myself to priming my skaven, I'd like to use a grey primer, which I don't have, but it is also a tad difficult because of grey primer on grey plastic being somewhat invisible.

I put some paint on a random model I had primed, but have to see how that turns out. Painting little bits at a time because I am swamped with homework. Most of which is Russian class, we have a great teacher, but she is very demanding and expects us to spend at least 2 hours a day studying to keep up, which I haven't fully adhered to. I do love learning new languages though and Russian is much easier than Finnish, once you get used to the Cyrillic alphabet. I do need to listen to it more though, to get a proper feel for the language.

I'll try to keep this thread updated, but it'll be tough to get stuff done at the way I would like to.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:34 am

Didn't get any painting done this week, still busy with school. A Russian oral exam today and a written exam tomorrow, as well as 3 other exams this week. I spent the weekend being a judge and organizer of a local 40k tournament. We usually had around 14-16 people show up, but this time we had 12 people signed up this time last week, and a total turnout of 18 people, one of the best turnouts in years.

It was a lot of fun, but I had a bit of a flu going in the tournament and I leveled up to full on sick today, which is great with all the tests and all.

I can't wait for this week to be over so I can get some painting done! :D
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Finally got something painted this year!
[+] Expand
Didn't want to spoil anything as to what I was painting, didn't want to get peoples hopes up or anything :P I'm not too happy with the result, the thick primer obscured or lessend some of the details and a metal model this size is always going to have some odd area's on it. It looks fine from a table top standpoint though. Next step is basing it, probably sealing as well.

I did enjoy working on the model though, it is super posable, especially considering it is such an old model, the quality of the sculpt and design is amazing.

I can't wait to get to painting more Blood Bowl stuff though, it'll be interesting to paint up skaven, as fur is not something I usually do! Luckily they have quite a bit of armour on them. I also promised myself a dwarf team box when I get these done, for which I am planning to use cabalite green and purple. The skaven will be albino with purple armour, not sure how that will work out! Blood Bowl painting is really addicting, churning out a small bunch of dudes in outlandish colour schemes is brilliant.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:35 am

I finally got my Skaven Blood Bowl Team done, and currently working on the human ogre(no pics of that yet), anyhoo pics:
[+] Expand
I am still missing a Rat Ogre and I am not too fond of the model leaked by FW, but who knows, Rat Ogres make the team actively worse, but still hoping to find one at some point, as painting Blood Bowl teams is soooo addictive!!!

I'll probably pick up a box of dwarfs as well this or next week. It also feels good to finally get some painting done.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:27 pm

And got the Ogre done today! Getting stuff in before school starts again tomorrow!
[+] Expand
Enjoy!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Heheh! Nice! I like him :D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 am

Nice stuff! I'm not a big fan of the FW model either . However, why do the presence of a rat ogre make the team worse? Monstrous infantry isn't very good in bloodbowl?
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:26 am

All monsters have a downside, some bigger than others. The Rat Ogre has one of the better nega-traits in Wild Animal, but it has a paltry Armour Value of 8(most monsters have 9). It also has Frenzy, meaning that it can end up far away from where you need it to be, especially if your enemy is smart. Starting with a Rat Ogre also means you cannot afford to buy enough re-rolls and enough Rats on the pitch and you probably won't be able to start with 4 Gutter runners(some of the best players in the game and key to the Skaven playstyle). Getting the Rat Ogre later on means it probably won't be able to develop any decent skills, thus remaining very much sub-par. Also whilst Wild Animal isn't too bad, it does mean that your Rat Ogre will pretty much have to Blitz! all the time, making you a lot less flexible, especially when it goes down. That and it has Loner, so a 50% chance to waste any re-roll you use on it.

That being said though, Rat Ogres can be fun and are great if you want to equalize the playing field when playing in a league with less experienced players.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:26 pm

Arnathos wrote:All monsters have a downside, some bigger than others. The Rat Ogre has one of the better nega-traits in Wild Animal, but it has a paltry Armour Value of 8(most monsters have 9). It also has Frenzy, meaning that it can end up far away from where you need it to be, especially if your enemy is smart. Starting with a Rat Ogre also means you cannot afford to buy enough re-rolls and enough Rats on the pitch and you probably won't be able to start with 4 Gutter runners(some of the best players in the game and key to the Skaven playstyle). Getting the Rat Ogre later on means it probably won't be able to develop any decent skills, thus remaining very much sub-par. Also whilst Wild Animal isn't too bad, it does mean that your Rat Ogre will pretty much have to Blitz! all the time, making you a lot less flexible, especially when it goes down. That and it has Loner, so a 50% chance to waste any re-roll you use on it.

That being said though, Rat Ogres can be fun and are great if you want to equalize the playing field when playing in a league with less experienced players.
This is good to know! although tbh I just got the model so I could have the model :P yeah I'm a sucker (refering to the new preorder FW Ratogre)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Arnathos wrote:All monsters have a downside, some bigger than others. The Rat Ogre has one of the better nega-traits in Wild Animal, but it has a paltry Armour Value of 8(most monsters have 9). It also has Frenzy, meaning that it can end up far away from where you need it to be, especially if your enemy is smart. Starting with a Rat Ogre also means you cannot afford to buy enough re-rolls and enough Rats on the pitch and you probably won't be able to start with 4 Gutter runners(some of the best players in the game and key to the Skaven playstyle). Getting the Rat Ogre later on means it probably won't be able to develop any decent skills, thus remaining very much sub-par. Also whilst Wild Animal isn't too bad, it does mean that your Rat Ogre will pretty much have to Blitz! all the time, making you a lot less flexible, especially when it goes down. That and it has Loner, so a 50% chance to waste any re-roll you use on it.

Ah I understand now. It's too bad that they aren't up to snuff. Still, they are very characterful. If I was going to play Bloodbowl, I would certainly take a Troll for my Orcs for the fun of it.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:00 am

The big guys are there for fun really and some of them are decent as enough when they just stand around somewhere.

More Blood Bowl btw, this time, Dwarfs! I went with a bit unorthodox colours:
[+] Expand
Today I'll probably be playing my first ever Bloodbowl match with actual minis, most of my experience being from the cyanide version of the game (Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition, it is the best edition). I also found that my oldest son still had a couple of saurus and a bunch of skinks lying around, so I ordered a box of Kroxigor and traded some templeguard bits. The Saurus and Skinks are ready, I figure they will be fine without a Kroxigor at first, so yeah, another Blood Bowl team! I am really, really addicted to painting these teams.'

I also ordered a beast of nurgle, which is currently sold out on the GW store, but when it arrives I'll probably get some Gors, Blightkings and GW zombies and make a nurgle team. I have little experience with painting decaying and dirty models so I thought it would be a nice little challenge! That and a team based around the concept of smelling bad and looking gross seemed like a novel thing to me!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB: