Munin's Weekly Paint 2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Re: Munin's Weekly Paint 2017

Post by Munin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:42 am

On the painting bandwagon still. This time, I'm working on my Janissaries. First up, the doctor:

Strangely enough, this particular dude is actually the best doctor in the game. He's also almost as many points on his own as all four of the Naffatun I finished a week ago.

And the Janissary with missile launcher:

I absolutely love the pose on this mini. She looks like such a bad-a$$. "Hold still while I reload. I'ma launch another missile at you."

I just have leather (straps, holsters, etc) and metal stuff (backpack power units and guns!) left to do. These pictures were also taken with my new phone (got a Pixel!) and one thing has become abundantly clear - my light sucks. I always suspected as much, but now I can't blame my old crappy cell-phone camera. Almost none of the edge highlighting and very little of the light-green-to-yellow gradient is showing up in these photos. Grrr.
Last edited by Munin on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:12 am

Your Haqqislam force is really progressing nicely! When you finish those two, how about a group shot of what you finished so far? :)
Painted in 2017:
AdMech: 10 Rangers, 1 Vanguard, 1 Sydonian Dragoon, 1 Techpriest Dominus, 1 Infiltrator
Space Wolves: 5 Terminators, 1 Primaris Lieutenant
non GW: 1 Zombicide Survivor, 1 Infinity Hexas Multi Sniper

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Will do.

I just ran the numbers in Infinity Army (the list building app for Infinity) and once these two Janissaries are done I'll have 312 points WYSIWYG. Which reminds me, I need to create my other list for GenCon...

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:11 pm

OK, I just need to do the last drybrushing and pigment powder on the base, then do the black edge and facing markings. No more than 10 minutes of actual painting left, but I need to wait between coats for stuff to dry. Then they need to be coated:

I'll take a group-shot once I get back from GenCon.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:04 pm

sweet! Those look awesome =D

have fun at GenCon
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:19 pm

GenCon was a blast. I played in the "Friday Night Firefight" Infinity tournament again this year, which was great. I am consistently impressed by how relaxed and chill the Infinity community is - everyone I've played against has been awesome, which is cool given how competitive tournaments can be. Everyone was just there to have fun, which is very cool (and very different from some of the train-wreck situations I've encountered at 40K events).

The event itself was a "Limited Insertion" tournament, which meant that armies were limited to a single combat group (max 10 troopers). It was neat because all of my opponents played sectorials that aren't present (at least not yet) in our local meta, and it was cool to face vastly different forces. My opponents were ALEPH Steel Phalanx (7-1 win), Nomad Jurisdictional Command of Bakunin (1-10 loss), and PanO Military Orders (7-3 win). Even when I was getting curb-stomped in my second game, I was having a lot of fun.

But one of the coolest experiences was sitting there waiting for Round 2 to start, looking across the tables, seeing some random dude spectating, and recognizing him as Angel Giraldez! He too was super-chill, and was kind enough to sign my copy of his "Masterclass Vol. 2" book that I'd picked up the day before at the WarStore booth!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:24 am

LordMcAllister wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:12 am
Your Haqqislam force is really progressing nicely! When you finish those two, how about a group shot of what you finished so far? :)
OK, here's what I've done so far:
From left to right, front to back, this is a Hassassin Fiday, a Hassassin Barid Hacker, 2 Kum Bikers, a Janissary Akbar Doctor, a Janissary Missile Launcher, 4 Naffatun (flamethrower light infantry), my "High Value Target," a Hunzakut Sniper, a Ghulam (light infantry) with a rifle+light grenade launcher (this is a conversion of one of the really old Naffatun sculpts), a regular Ghulam, a Najjarun Engineer, a Ghulam Doctor, and 2 more regular Ghulam.

I picked up some (uh...too much) stuff at GenCon, so I'm not sure what to paint next. Maybe my Bashi Bazouks - they're airborne-infiltrating light infantry with Holoprojector 2, which lets them make copies of themselves on the table for maximum chaos potential. They're usually hilarious in play, and I now have two of them. Alternately, perhaps I should finish my "Fat Yuan Yuans," as those models are just too cool.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Awesome models! Lovely work on them as well

glad you had fun at Gen Con! Sounds like a blast to do :)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:57 am

Thanks for the group shot! They're looking great, very impressive paintjob! Keep up the awesome work!
Painted in 2017:
AdMech: 10 Rangers, 1 Vanguard, 1 Sydonian Dragoon, 1 Techpriest Dominus, 1 Infiltrator

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:34 pm

I'm just happy that they look good together thematically. I'm trying to branch out yet still carry the central color palette throughout. I'm thinking the brown I plan to use for the TAG and Remotes will match fairly well. I'm planning a scheme very similar to the one I use for the Afrika Korps vehicles. It occurs to me that I should put some of my Infinity minis next to those to see how they look together.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:32 am

I took a bit of a break from Infinity minis in order to crank out some more WW2 stuff. I've got one squad of Americans left to finish before I have a complete Infantry Platoon painted, so I'm working on them now.

But once those are done, I need to get another project off my painting table - I need to sack up and finally finish this guy:

I've had the cockpit/pilot half finished for like two years now, but I pretty much lost all motivation to finish it when I quit playing 40K. But now my motivation has returned, because I have come to a difficult decision: I'm selling off my 40K stuff. I hate to let it go, but I can't justify keeping it around when I'm not using it, especially when I'm looking at having to move twice in the next year.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Finished up my last squad of WW2 American GIs. This represents the final squad of the platoon (including BAR and Sgt), the Lt and Plt Sgt, and another bazooka team. I think I ended up painting an extra guy, but I'll probably use him as crew for an AT gun or something.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:53 am

That's a nice paintjob! I'm not a big fan of those minis, though. Somehow their proportions feel a bit "off" to me.

Looking forward to your triarch stalker! Is it the last model you have to paint before selling the army off?
Painted in 2017:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 am

LordMcAllister wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:53 am
That's a nice paintjob! I'm not a big fan of those minis, though. Somehow their proportions feel a bit "off" to me.
Thanks! And yes, the proportions are what one might call "heroic," with the same kind of oversized heads and hands you see with stuff like IG minis (especially the old metal ranges like the Mordians and Valhallans). The Warlord plastic WW2 Americans are positively spindly by comparison. In terms of realistic human proportions, the Perry plastics are probably the best, but that unfortunately makes them a little fiddly to assemble. The weapons and accessories are also more prone to bending, which is a drag. I love the sculpts, but you have to handle them a little bit gingerly in play in order to avoid damaging them. Both my Deutsches Afrika Corps and British Desert Rats are Perry. I'll post some comparison pics soon.
LordMcAllister wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:53 am
Looking forward to your triarch stalker! Is it the last model you have to paint before selling the army off?
Pretty much. I have a half-painted monolith that I should probably finish too. I really wanted to light it from the inside, and have most of the stuff needed to do that, but that's a major project.

Ah, crap, I just realized I have a 10-man unit of Flayed Ones (the old metal ones, much better than the new plastic sculpts) hanging around as well.

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”