Munin's Weekly Paint 2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Munin's Weekly Paint 2017

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Tanks! <3 <3
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:16 pm

I have a Panzer III primed and ready to go. :)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:57 pm

So after a stretch of not getting much accomplished (due work travel, vacation, etc), I've been painting again of late. My most recent work has been more stuff for Infinity, this time a group of Naffatun troopers:

I started doing some detail work on one of them just to see how it looked:

A view in different light:

I've since done all of the leather straps on all of them, and most of the (non-metallic) metal on the test mini. I'll take more pics tonight. Overall, I really like the way they're coming out. These particular sculpts are very nice, and like pretty much all Infinity minis, they have scads of detail.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:37 am

OK, pretty much finished the prototype tonight:

I'm pretty stoked with the way he came out. Now I just need to do the guns and buckles on the other three to match.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:07 am

It's nice to see some infinity again in the forums! Especially, when they are so nicely done. You really got your scheme down. As your green highlights are a bit subtle, I'd suggest a small third highlight here and there just to make it pop a bit more.
Painted in 2017:
AdMech: 10 Rangers, 1 Vanguard, 1 Sydonian Dragoon, 1 Techpriest Dominus, 1 Infiltrator, 1 Onager Dunecrawler
Space Wolves: 5 Terminators, 1 Primaris Lieutenant
non GW: 1 Zombicide Survivor, 1 Infinity Hexas Multi Sniper

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:00 pm

It's actually three colors with a wash between colors 2 and 3. It stands out a lot more in person. I've considered starting darker and/or highlighting brighter just to increase the tonal difference between each layer, but it makes the mini more ... "cartoony," I think? That kind of style pops more at table-top distance for sure, but I'm not sure I like the overall effect up close. I'll probably do that for my next army, which won't be so earth-toned.

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Very cool!

I suppose you could maybe give the green a bit of an edge highlight on parts? if you wanted to help it pop more - but honestly it does look really good as is too

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:58 am

Heh, it actually is edge highlighted. You can see it best on his shoulderpads in the middle photon and on his backpack in the last photo. It just doesn't seem to photograph at all well. :-/

I finished the other three last night. I just need to finish their bases and put facing markings on them and they're ready for play. Good thing, as I have a game tonight!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:46 am

OK, finished the lot of them!

These were fun to paint, but god DAMN do they have a ton of detail. I also despair a little bit because the four of them together are only 50 points. I have a ton of stuff left to paint. Why did I start with the cheapest stuff first? :sigh:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:59 am

They are looking great and I really like the red/orange highlights which break up the earthy tones nicely! They will look great on the table!
Painted in 2017:
AdMech: 10 Rangers, 1 Vanguard, 1 Sydonian Dragoon, 1 Techpriest Dominus, 1 Infiltrator, 1 Onager Dunecrawler
Space Wolves: 5 Terminators, 1 Primaris Lieutenant
non GW: 1 Zombicide Survivor, 1 Infinity Hexas Multi Sniper

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:33 am

Because they look lovely? :D

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:32 am

Those look excellent! And look on the bright side, you have more expensive stuff to paint still, so the rest of your points should fill up soon!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Speaking of expensive stuff to paint, I recently finished all of the modeling work on my Maghariba Guard TAG. TAGs (or Tactical Armored Gears) in Infinity basically fill the role of Armored Cav units - they're fast, heavily armed, and can generally take a decent beating. Most armies' TAGs have a "giant robot" aesthetic, but the TAG for Haqqislam is this crazy multi-legged scorpion-lookin' monstrosity that looks kind of like the crab-tank from Ghost in the Shell.

The unit comes with several different profiles, and the model has the parts needed to build any given profile. BUT, because I wanted to be able to switch between profiles, I decided to bust out the magnets. There are two different sets of arms (one with a heavy flamethrower, another with twin heavy pistols), but there's only one set of the little shield bits. So I drilled holes for 1/16" magnets and set everything up to be able to swap the shields on either set of arms:

You can see there's a nub on the arm just below the magnet - I wanted to keep that bit to act as an index to keep the shield bit from dangling or hanging at a funny angle.

Then there are the actual arms themselves. These each got a 1/8" magnet like so:

Where these attach to the main body, a counterpart 1/8" magnet was put in. Here you can see a similar index slot just to the right of the magnet, again handy for keeping the arm steady.

Here it is with the heavy flamethrower arms:

And this is with the twin heavy pistols:

Note that these last two photos show it without its "tail," which is a giant machinegun and ECM/countermissile package. The legs are just dry-fit with some blu-tac, as I'll be painting the thing in sub-assemblies to help keep myself sane.

Parenthetically, this thing is a giant chunk of pewter. As in, you could drop it in a sock and use it as a sap, no problem. It weighs a ton. But on the plus side, its 78 to 98 points (depending on the loadout), so it'll finally put me above 300 points painted! Woohoo! \o/

Of course we're closing on a piece of property tomorrow and if all goes well we'll sell our house immediately thereafter while our new house is being constructed. But that means I'll likely have to pack away much of my gaming/modeling/painting stuff in the interim. >Sigh<

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Wow what a cool model! I have a weakness for machines especially walker types <3

How are the magnets holding up in such a heavy model?

Good luck on selling your house! boo you have to pack up stuff soon though lol :(

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 pm

The magnets actually hold stuff surprisingly well. The arms are fairly light, and part of their weight is borne by the tab that goes into the index slot. So really, the magnet is mostly there just to keep them in place.

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”