Munin's Weekly Paint 2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Munin's Weekly Paint 2017

Post by Munin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:23 am

A new year is upon us! And while I actually finished them in December, I'll post them here. Behold, a pair of Khorne Berzerkers!

These guys have been in my pile of "stuff to paint" for over 15 years. The boxed set comes with 12, but the guy who commissioned me to paint them only needed 8 (Khorne's magic number) and let me keep the other 4 for bits. But last month's theme on the SA contest was "something red," so it seemed like as good an excuse as any to get them off my table. Given that I no longer play 40K (and never played chaos when I did), I'm giving these last 4 to a friend of mine who does still play, and plays Chaos SM to boot.

Going back and painting these, I was actually really impressed with how well these sculpts (which are now almost 20 years old) have stood the test of time. I find a lot of GW's newer sculpts to be incredibly busy and over-detailed (especially in the fantasy range), but these guys have just enough detail in all the right places to be both visually interesting and fun to paint without falling into the trap of having detail for detail's sake.

Sir-back-up
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Munin's Weekly Paint 2017

Post by Sir-back-up » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Nice looking berzerkers :p i always liked the sculpt on these guys and its true that they are aged very well
My projects
Orks
White scars
Blood angels
Eldar corsairs
Astra militarum
Death guard
Thousand sons
30k thousand sons

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:57 pm

They look very good. What I've always liked about these sculpts is that many of the helmets look like Boba Fett's helmet, but with an added crest.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Very nice, love to see the old models getting some love! I like the green tubing you did on the backpacks, looks very sinister.
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:13 am

I think I would go with conversions if I ever did bezerkers myself, but you did a great job on these! Your reds look especially good, love the brightness and the contrast with the darker trim.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:15 am

Kovlovsky wrote:They look very good. What I've always liked about these sculpts is that many of the helmets look like Boba Fett's helmet, but with an added crest.
Thanks! and it's funny you mention that; my three-year-old looked at one of the ones I was painting and said, "He looks like Boba Fett!"

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:49 am

Munin wrote:
Kovlovsky wrote:They look very good. What I've always liked about these sculpts is that many of the helmets look like Boba Fett's helmet, but with an added crest.
Thanks! and it's funny you mention that; my three-year-old looked at one of the ones I was painting and said, "He looks like Boba Fett!"
He or she has already a great sense of observation! :D

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Finished the latest set of stuff I was doing:

Weirdly enough, these are exactly the same red as the previous two, but apparently the auto-color balance on my phone was picking up something else, probably the background. They look a little "bluer" as a result, but in person they're identical.

I'm especially fond of this guy:

I did some surgery on the arm/shoulder attachment of his pistol arm such that the direction of it wasn't straight forward, but rather off to the side. With him also looking sideways and brandishing a big-butt axe, I like the effect.

My friend wants these on black rock bases, so I'll get started on that tomorrow.

I also decided to take a break from all of the Nanomei faction minis I'd been painting for Aetherium and try my hand at one of the Axiom faction. This is one of the avatars (essentially an HQ unit in that game) called Lady Amelia.

Here's another shot with a different background (and therefore different white-balance):

I like the contrast of the white, black, and orange. But man, you have to be careful not to mess up; black and orange are both really strong colors, so you have to take great pains to avoid getting any on the white. Now I just need to get a techy-looking 25mm square base on which to mount her (the ones I got are just plain slotta bases, and I felt like these needed something more given all the detail I put on the Nanomei figs).

Anyone have any suggestions on that front?

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 am

Very nice, Munin! I really like the shading of the white robe, pretty cool work! Only thing I'd suggest is to highlight the orange "waistband" that hangs down on the front. Perhaps mix the orange with a drob of "ushabti bone" from the gw range, to get a pastel mix.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 1 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 2 Primaris Intercessor

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:15 am

Yeah, I want to edge highlight it just to give it a little more contrast. In terms of showing the highlighting, I had a hard time taking a picture that showed the shading/highlighting on both the white and the orange at the same time.

And as always happens when you take photos, I see a couple of places I need to do touch-ups. :(

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:06 pm

that seems to be the way of photos

as for better pictures maybe if you stuck a piece of fun foam (a sheet) or some other background behind the mini it would help. This is what the photographers on reapers forums have suggested - what colour depends. As I recall a neutral is good, but I've used red ok (like in my avatar). You might try a few and see what effect you get :)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:18 am

I've got some OD green fatigues I occasionally use as a backdrop. That would probably work well here because it would contrast well without overwhelming the mini. I'll give it a try once I have her based.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:33 pm

Speaking of those OD Green fatigues...

I haven't been posting much lately because I've actually been painting! This month, it was a pair of M4 Sherman tanks:

These tanks included a whole raft of new techniques for me. First off, though I'd seen it before and knew generally how it worked, this was the first time I'd used Tamiya panel wash. This is essentially a very thin, oil-based wash that is used to accent the lines between panels or plates. It also works on rivets or lining any sharp detail. I could have done the same thing with a very thin acrylic wash, but the finish of the oil-based stuff is much nicer. It's also easy to mute it or fade it after the fact with just a few swipes with a cotton swab and a bit of mineral spirits. It's also pre-mixed and comes with a handy needle-thin brush to apply it to the cracks.

I also used oil-based weathering for the grime streaks. This is essentially a little mascara-tube of black oil-paint; you brush on a little spot near the top edge, then come back later with a mineral spirits loaded on a brush. A few quick vertical swipes later and you have beautiful grime effects.

I also used an interesting spatter technique for the first time - this involved loading a large paint brush with brown paint, holding it near the mini, then hitting it with bursts of air from an airbrush. It worked like gang-busters, and produced a much nicer effect than the "flicking the toothbrush bristles" method.

I also finished this l'il guy, a Panzer II, painted in a North Africa color scheme. It's been sitting on my table just needing transfers and final dust weathering for a while now, so it was good to finally finish it.

All in all, a very productive month.

I have learned one thing working with all the mineral spirits (for both oil-based paints and fixing dry pigments): I need a workspace with better ventilation!

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Your Shermans and the Pz II all look extremely good and realistic! The weathering is excellent and the colours are spot on!

Interestingly, my friend and I are about to start playing Bolt Action, he as the Germans and me as the USSR. We played to the Bands of Brother starting set and had a load of fun despite the amount of rule mistakes we did. Seeing your beautiful tanks makes me even more enthusiastic about getting my army! Keep sending us updates on your work! Do you have some tips about how to build our armies? We're going for a Fall Blau / Battle of Stalingrad theme. Any help would be appreciated.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Well, for Stalingrad you're going to want winter troops. I know Warlord Games just released a bunch of new winter Germans, which would be perfect for Stalingrad. For the Soviets, look for guys with greatcoats.

In terms of army composition, I'm afraid I'm not much help for Bolt Action, as I don't play it; I play Chain of Command instead, and that game doesn't really use "army composition" because it's a platoon-scale game and the basis of each army is, well, an infantry platoon. One thing I will mention is that Stalingrad is from October 1942 to February 1943. This is before man-portable rocket-powered AT weapons (PIATs, Panzerfausts, Bazookas) were in use. So if you're doing period-specific anti-tank weapons, you're looking at stuff like PaK-40s and the 45mm 53-K.

Also, if you're developing an interest in WW2 gaming, you might want to take a look at Chain of Command. It's got some really interesting mechanics in terms of unit activation and really captures the "feel" of the period's engagements very well.

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”