Guildenstern's weekly thread #2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Guildenstern's weekly thread #2017

Post by Koonitz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Guildenstern wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:59 pm
Snickers

otherwise known as guinnea pigs =D lol
Oh, I know. Just... I was not ready to see guinea pig models painted up and ready to go... My mind asploded.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:46 pm

yar they're adorable =D

got "Bubba" primed (yay for fairly low humidity day!) and started in on his rusting:

I'm just waiting on the chipping fluid I coated all over him to dry really well so I can start in on his basecoat!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 am

What paints did you use for that rust effect? It looks great.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:13 am

I agree.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 am

Yeah, Guildy, I've gotta say you've become like the Queen of Rust (oooh, do I sense a custom forum title in your future?) since you started doing Orks. Your rust weathering is always really well done. I can't wait to see how "Bubba" turns out!

Sir-back-up
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Sir-back-up » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Looking good:p
My projects
Orks
White scars
Blood angels
Eldar corsairs
Astra militarum
Death guard
Thousand sons
30k thousand sons

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 am

Munin wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 am
Yeah, Guildy, I've gotta say you've become like the Queen of Rust (oooh, do I sense a custom forum title in your future?) since you started doing Orks. Your rust weathering is always really well done. I can't wait to see how "Bubba" turns out!

hahaha

I have to say, I'm fairly obsessed with rust now. Most of my vacation pictures are places with interesting rusty things lol

Someday I will have the perfect look down!!

Anyway, for this rust I used three different sponge packaging bits (mostly to get a bit of variety in the stippling) and Vallejo's Panzer Aces Rust red - which I think is exactly like their Red Leather from the GC line but I could be wrong. It's a bit brighter than Burnt Sienna (my usual go-to).

Had a bit of a setback atm last night, I bent another silly needle for my airbrush >< so I'm painting the basecoat by hand atm. Done most of my vehicles that way and honestly there's not really a huge surface area to cover, since there's so many bits interrupting all the panels anyway.

Still annoyed about the needle though. Replacements not bad, but I just started working again so I haven't really gotten steady income yet.

Tried to buy some Liquid Greenstuff - bottle I got turned out to be rock solid <smacks head> gonna take that back when I can.

Needed it to try to get some more gaps filled that showed up from the sponging - as it happens. Mostly the claw, which was really really obvious. Currently working on it with the superglue fill method, instead. Keep your fingers crossed!

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 am

Trying the liquid GS gapfilling... sigh. It's not looking as nice as I'd like so I had to do more gap filling here. Haven't sanded etc in the above pic of course, I was waiting for it to dry.

Here he is in his first basecoat layer - very thin because hairybrush, also it's hard to cover over the chipping medium I've found (probably because also I'm brushing it on so it gets a bit thicker I think than if I were to airbrush it)

And because I can't seem to just keep anything simple :P I'm seriously almost 100% considering I'm going to add some LED lights to him here, and maybe in the compartment below :D watch this space etc.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:06 pm

So um wow not really an update for myself - but I'm a bit chuffed as they say! My Playboy, who'd been jawing about the lore behind making a Malal Dark eldar type army (I think he's trying to work in 1k sons somehow too... not too sure about that), anyway he asked me if I ordered the start collecting kit yet o.O

And he's planning a paint scheme, which he wants to paint himself.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:49 am

Heh, you're obviously bringin' that kid up right. :)

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:25 pm

*grinz*

sure made me happy lol as well as maybe a little worried (cuz he's supposed to start college soon lol)

I didn't get much progress on the Bubba yet, but most of his basecoat is finished (lots of little bits to do) and I'm hoping this weekend I'll have the second basecoat, washes and get started on the highlights! <crosses fingers>

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Well Hurricane Irma is gonna prolly hit our area Monday around 2PM, so I'm not gonna make a lot of progress. Hoping all goes well, it's supposed to be mostly high winds, maybe flooding, probable power outages, cuz. Definitely getting the winds off it already, it's actually pleasant atm up here, and quite a bit cooler than usual. Not looking forward to the rest of it though, makes me very nervous. We're all set to head up to our church in an emergency though, as that's the safest closest structure and on higher ground.

Meanwhile I'm going to try to finish my Juggernaut model!

And Thursday I'm leaving for my sisters, so I won't be here to finish a pledge anyway.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 am

I hope all is well.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:09 am

Yup we are all good here! Just some yard debris to clean up thankfully. It was a bit scary I tell you that.

Our school's been disrupted by the stormy remains of Hurricane Irma. Power out in a few places, good in our area though and we luckily didn't loose power or have to leave the house to safer area.

Anyway progress on my guy (he's still single and likely to be for a while):

This is his basecoat done, some highlights and washes
I'm in the middle of pin washing and edgehighlighting him atm.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 am

Glad to hear. My kids (Savannah and Charleston) are fine and moving back in.