Guildenstern's weekly thread #2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Guildenstern's weekly thread #2017

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Nappen wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:32 am
Trying to think of how the orcs could be on the ship :)
lmao

that'd be brilliant...

my orks *are* a piratey faction after all...
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:06 am

Welp got my 5 boyz done (pics to follow); started organizing the rest of my stuff...

I have a group of boyz without arms atm, I think it's so I could build burnas but it's been a while and now I've forgotten ><

Anyway no plan will survive contact with 8th yet so lol just gonna leave those guys til last til I can figure out what I need to build.

I've got a good solid core of 40 boyz atm, and a bunch of nobs.

Also an ungodly amount of grots lol

Got the Gorkanaut yesterday!!! ooh so want to open... but *must* get boyz done... then I'll feel I've accomplished something. I prolly should have done the boyz *then* the Trukks, to keep motivation, but oh well.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:31 am

watching reviews of the orks in index. Not very happy with points costs of Trukks and Deffkoptas, two of my most useful (and done!) units. Haven't had any time to get games in so bleh. Maybe it'll work out with a smaller elite unit. Not sure. I do like how they're survivable (Trukks)

Anyway, with the rule for extra attacks needing more than 20 models it looks like I'll need at least one block of 30 boys, roughly, to keep that up. Maybe two units - probably have enough boys for it.

Anyway, atm I'm painting the bulk of my boyz. One step at a time. I was doing them in fives but eh I just decided to do however many I had on my desk. They're pretty much base coated atm, now. A lot of them are from the assault on blackreach set so I had to do a bit of clean up on them (they'd been painted before) and mold line removal. Not sure I got it all.

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:03 am

from my very first games vs Orks, yeah big blobs o' boys are the way ahead ... they have assault weapons so can just keep moving .. even without vehicles

and they hardly ever suffer losses from morale ..

one blob of 20 or so chased a c'tan down and just cornered the poor bugger until it died of fear :oops:

that and a weird boy with "Da Jump" makes them just arrive ANYWHERE ! .. was amazing ...

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:48 am

Guildenstern wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:31 am
...mold line removal. Not sure I got it all.
I find trimming flash and filing mold lines to be the most tedious and time-consuming part of the hobby, but it makes such a huge difference to the final product that it's absolutely worth doing.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:33 pm

@Mach-Ten, I don't even have a weirdboy because I don't like the model. I'm still pondering a replacement. Honestly I think I'm going to use a grot shaman for the lulz haha Good to know tho, I'm not horribly keen on the whole psychic phase just because eh if I want fantasy I'll use my Skaven, but I know it's part of the game. It's just a personal thing really.

Good to hear boyz are (can be ) effective! loosing 'eavy armour kinda was bleh.

@Munin - totally agree! I hate that part the most as well. I have found too, it's best to do as much as you can initially, then after the first priming, see what all you missed. After that usually it's good.

Oh and I found a this scribing tool is awesome for a lot of places! Like knuckles >< It's very pointy and helps get the lines out from in between knuckles.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:13 pm

got most of rest of my boyz (and 1 nob) basecoated and waiting for washes to dry. Then I'm a pick out a few details, do the skin, and final highlights etc.

**edit**
oh and I forgot - I ordered a couple warbuggies but apparently they're already out of stock so I'm wondering if I'll get them or not :(

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:26 am

Couple close up WIPs

working on details atm, teeth, final highlights etc

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:56 pm

I put some pics up of my latest batch of Ork Boyz (in my WIP thread, link in sig)

and now I am currently working on "Bubba" as I have decided to call him:

He's only dry fitted together atm, so I can pull him all apart and paint everything. And I mean everything. The inside included. I know I know, no one's going to see it. But I'll know it's there thus I must paint it!

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Guildenstern wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:56 pm
He's only dry fitted together atm, so I can pull him all apart and paint everything. And I mean everything. The inside included. I know I know, no one's going to see it. But I'll know it's there thus I must paint it!
As a man who painted the inside of his land raider, I agree with this.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:40 am

Yeah painting the inside is part of the fun. I did the inside of a couple of Rhino's and it just gives you a feeling of nice satisfaction.

I love the Gorkanaut model, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. :D

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Koonitz wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:34 pm
Guildenstern wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:56 pm
As a man who painted the inside of his land raider, I agree with this.
haha nice!

Sadly I am awaiting a dry humid-less day atm, so as to prime outside. <twiddles thumbs impatiently>

meanwhile I'm finishing off my Gunny Peegs - which should be available for pictures here soon I hope

Guildenstern

Gunny Peegs!

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:46 pm

here they are, finally done =D they're pretty small - one of the pics has them next to a penny. They're from Bad Squiddo Games. I got them from her last kickstarter. They should be available online on her site though.

More pics, including individual ones:
[+] Expand

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Gunny Peegs!

Post by Koonitz » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:07 pm

Guildenstern wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:46 pm
Gunny Peegs!
O_O

https://youtu.be/_AvnYGHc5BM
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Snickers

otherwise known as guinnea pigs =D lol