Guildenstern's weekly thread #2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Guildenstern's weekly thread #2017

Post by Koonitz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:01 am

Guildenstern wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:47 pm
Grot Tanks (just because)
Yes.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Grots tanks. Gotta love it

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Are you still using your rathcore holders? My new living room doesn't have space for my old way of painting while watching TV. Forces me to use it but I didn't get enough adapters...have purchased any more since the KS. 15 euro foot three is a bit too much for me. :wink:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:33 pm

oof yeah I haven't looked at them since the KS, I would like to get another (or two) because I didn't get the holder rest bar thingy on mine =/ Now I'm wishing I had... I also only got them for like 25-30mm bases. Really need a larger one.

But I only use them for characters, everyone else is still just on a cork as it's just more convenient for doing a lot of troops.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Have purchased Mek Gunz... and trukk boyz. So we'll see how those go <crosses fingers> Need to help my son's Gangs of Commorragh stuff together so we can field more units when we play next. And he wants a psyker as mentioned in xenos forums, so I guess we'll be getting ynnari as well soon (tm). My hobby budget is officially teh broke lol

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 am

Guildenstern wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 pm
My hobby budget is officially teh broke lol
I feel you. In my case it's a difference between what I could afford and what I should afford. Now that I've purged all of the Warhammer stuff from my basement as part of the moving process, it's hard not to look at every cool new kit that Warlord Games comes out with and not want to buy it (because hey, I got rid of all that other stuff, so I should buy all new stuff, right?). I very nearly bought the new Warlord/Italeri Opel Blitz/Maultier kit last night (because it looks super cool!), but I already have three Panzer IIIs, a German Halftrack, a British armored car, and Crusader tank to finish first. But it was a narrow thing.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 pm

I have not brought myself to purge except for about half my war machine stuff and everything mantic except 90 zombies.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 pm

So hard to purge! I'm trying not to, even though it might fund further hobby. I'm such a packrat. But I also (knock on wood) have a good bit of room and don't have to move which helps a lot. I know my book collection alone has swollen tremendously lol

I'm thinking of building a new terrain table, combination of scratchbuilt and GW stuffs,where I can. Cuz that new Sector Mechanicus stuff is soooo sweet! I really want a pretty busy table, or well, one that looks like you'd imagine a forge world would look like. Thinking about making a multi story with places to move between the stories but still modular type of thing. I've got some kits coming so we'll see how that part goes. And I've a few ideas for the main flooring. Gotta make up some sketches to see how it might work out, but I really love the idea of a forge world, abandoned, or at least disused maybe, so it will be weathered but not quite the customary all out weathering I tend to do now.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:31 am

cool...this will be fun to watch.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Yeah I think this will be my Terrain goal for 2018 as I expect it'll take a while. While I love the new kits, and I've ordered a bunch, I'm not quite crazy enough to get enough to fill a table (though I may be close) so I'm doing a lot of scratch building as well. Or will do, when I see how the kits go. I've had PVC pipe and other bits hanging about for ages waiting for a project!

Also got more 1/4" 1x1 birchwood plywood tiles for the project. I'll want a lot. Or anyway at least quite a few, to make it modular. I may not do every 2X2 section that way, because that is seriously quite a lot at ~4.19/ea. I decided on 1/4 because they do make a thinner one, but it's very hard to find one that's true in that width. And of course the thicker ones are quite a bit too thick really. I also don't want anyone cutting down a sheet because you have to take the kerf into account, and it's just easier to buy them precut at the appropriate size.

TL;DR: I'm lazy. But not too lazy. lol

I'm trying to work out how to make girders atm - one of the things I want to do is make this two levels. Another is have a center point with a Titan's leg, like it's being worked on. If I manage to do that part, it'll likely just be plasticard scratchbuilding. No Titan buying here. Yet. lol

Still working on the lootas. I did finish basecoating the metals, flesh and cloth last night - just details to go then I can start HL'ing and finally assemble them completely.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Ugh haven't gotten a lot of stuff done, I've not been able to sit at my paint desk for a couple days now =/
The little nurglings got me pretty bad. Our whole Pre-K is down to a skeleton crew. Which was like me and my other friend and we're both sick as well. <grumbles about Nurgle>

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:20 am

Guildenstern wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 pm
Ugh haven't gotten a lot of stuff done, I've not been able to sit at my paint desk for a couple days now =/
The little nurglings got me pretty bad. Our whole Pre-K is down to a skeleton crew. Which was like me and my other friend and we're both sick as well. <grumbles about Nurgle>
I hope you'll get well soon and be able to pick up the brush again! ;)
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:17 am

hope your feeling better

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”