Guildenstern's weekly thread #2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Guildenstern's weekly thread #2017

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:36 pm

something something

Been too busy to work on anything sadly for almost two weeks. We were sick over new years/end of christmas as well. But my #2 son got his Eagle project done! He still has to complete some paper work and finish 5 merit badges but the actual project work (clearing out brush for a local park) is done.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Guildenstern's weekly thread #2017

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Very cool, I remember the sense of accomplishment when I finished my project as well. I think mostly it was the feeling of finally being done with Boy Scouts, but looking back maybe it wasn't all bad. Maybe that was just camping in Texas. So what is on your plate coming up? Back to the bases or the Trukk?
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 pm

I'm not actually sure atm, Houndmaster, I'm trying to decide, but first, I'm organizing this month! haha

I want to have a better handle on how much I need to complete my armies and other minis as well. plus get some Terrain done!

Anyway, I spent most of today working on my Mercantile house some (in my Terrain thread) and the rest counting up my *boxed* minis (and bagged). Basically anything NOT built, primed or sitting on my To Do trays (which now number 2). Sigh. Nor including unbuilt sitting in my drawer (mostly my Skaven).

I have (aprox):

Manufacturer/Qty
Reaper/83
Darksword/4
Wyrd/21 (4 are crew boxes which I didn't feel like counting individaully)
Misc/19
GW/243

So, that's, 370 minis. Ugh.

TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:43 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Got desk cleaned off

Got desk dirty again

Got cleaned off....

yeah you get the drill lol

I just updated our MWG armies on parade thread with my Orks. Don't quite feel like getting the boys necrons out - maybe when I can get the gumption to play him again :P

Working on two fountains for the Group Build, finished up my barricades - need to take some decent pics. They're all on my phone and it's a pain to transfer frankly. I dunno why but either windows doesn't like samsung or vice versa.

Anyway, started building Playboys Mortis Engine, which is what he wants next

And I got the boys to all pick minatures off Reaper (in bones) to paint themselves for their RPG characters! I figured maybe that'll get them more interested in the whole miniature thing. Especially Playboy who's convinced he can't do it even though he's done a great job way back when on his skeletons.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:06 pm

it's not all glued, just blu tacked in place, there are a lot of areas I need to get to, that I can't if I glue it now.

Forgot... ^^ this is the VC mortis engine, that Playboy wants to use.

I still have a bunch of his stuff in grey plastic atm sigh

Not having a great start to the year. I got the flu again, DS broke his collarbone in wrestling, so he's out for 6 weeks. Although it's right near the end of the season anyway, so he's not missing much. He's all worried about loosing muscle mass while he's in his brace. ha. Poor guy. He's a little fella, so it doesn't take much sadly. He's been working really hard to get to 134lbs.

In other news, I managed to get them to pick out some Reaper bones figures! we're going to get them and the boys are going to paint them up for their RP campaign, Emerald Spire that we're currently doing. I'm hoping it'll get them over the hump of "I can't paint".

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:21 pm

been a slow week or two here - having trouble getting back into painting atm ><

getting sick (again!) ugh - it's sweeping our Pre-K and all the other local schools too, lots of kids out (and teachers)

May be time to start getting a yearly flu shot. I normally don't do it cuz it's out of pocket but meh

Anyway, I did get all the munitorium stuff put together as well as the Mortis Engine. And I think I'll go ahead and prime Playboy's Terrorgheist & crypt horrors things while I'm at it. Once I get it all set up to do anyways.

Really keen to work on my orks but so much to get out of the way first =/

Boys' figures came in, so hopefully we can sit down this weekend some and I can teach them to thin their paints :P

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Sperian wrote:Hope you feel better soon!

Is it really bad to admit that I don't actually thin my paints? I sort of do it on the brush but never do I ever actually add water or thinner to a pot of paint or palette? Sort of a cardinal sin of painting I know but oh well!
LOL

actually.... no.

The main reason I've seen to thin your paints is just so that you can keep the consistency of your painting up easily, get good coverage, and don't leave brush marks. If you're not leaving brush marks, you're doin it right (tm) - so who cares? Also really depends on the paint I'd note - my new warcolours paints really don't need thinning.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Yay! I have primered stuffs!

I got pretty much everything that's been built, but not primed yet, done.

Including son's mortis engine, the gw walls & fences, munitorium, promethium pipes, terrorgheist, crypt horrors, and some miscellaneous boxes for my small malifaux terrain build.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:09 pm

not much done, just got a base coat on most of the promethium pipes. Going for a dark copper/bronze look with iron accents.

feeling much better tho, and so much happier to be painting again. It's been really depressing not feeling like doing anything.

Also started really trying to get my Ork Battlewagon together (the scratchbuilt one I've been working on all last year). I'll try to post a pic later, I switched out the wheels as I decided slightly smaller fit it better. Trying to build a suspension atm, at least enough to make it look good and hold the wheels on.

Also need a better way to mount the weapon on the top, it keeps coming off ><. I may have to drill and put a brass rod to help hold it. Not sure yet.

Guildenstern

Battlewaaaaghon WIP

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:52 pm

On its side: I changed out the wheels, using the smaller black ones in the back, from the toy. I liked them better than the huge ones. And I couldn't get the huge ones to attach correctly. Maybe if I'd been able to drill out the pin in them, but its steel I think, so I couldn't get a good grip with much. Anyway, these I stuck a bunch of milliput inside their axle to help pin them to the new 'axle'. Hopefully they'll stay on.

Here it is with almost everything dryfitted. I'm trying to decide if I want to put a panel behind the driver seat. And a ramp at the end. Not sure yet. I like that my orks could actually fit in the back too. It needs more dakka but I've not got a lot more bitz so I may have to add on to it gradually. At this point I'm just trying to finish the main structure.

Here's a view of the underside. While I wanted it semi realistic, hence the drive shaft etc - I couldn't get too realistic. So I stuck some parts from various other kits to help fill in some of the gaps. There's a lot of bits from a Chevelle model, some misc panels, a couple jet exhausts ala apple juice lids - cuz why not. They might need upward thrust <shrugs>

The front wheels there need a bit more support. They're from a lego kit and are fairly heavy. So I'll probably have to reinforce my little plasticard bits there. Sadly I couldn't figure out a way to make them look like they're part of the suspension. But maybe my poor model won't spend a lot of time rolled over too :P

Still working on sidekick for driver, the engine grots - and a way to steal more dakka, but like I mentioned may just wait til later on that. Especially since son wants more models, I might can canibalize some of his stuff.

Guildenstern

The Wheels on the Battlewaaaaghon fall off and off...

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:32 am

Having some trouble unfortunately keeping its wheels on >< I lost the whole back axle the other night, reglued it tried to reinforce it. And when I picked up the model again today it fell off. Again. ARRRRGH!

Anyway, here's some bits I've added - mostly "armour" to the top, a few small bits of spikey bits along various panels (can't see 'em cuz they're clear resin atm), some panels near the doors. And a dead Tyranid on the hood, cuz Redneks.

View from the front

with the Gun Turret in place (still not glued down yet as I want to keep it separate to paint)

And the gunner... He's spotted something I think. Oh it's a GUN. lol He's not glued on yet either at all, nor are his arms (again for painting purposes)

Hoping I can get to prime today if I can get the @()$&*$)(#*$())#)$)( wheels to stay on!