TheHoundmaster's Weekly Paint 2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

TheHoundmaster's Weekly Paint 2017

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:06 pm

So I'm taking the plunge and going for a weekly paint. May I have the strength of Nappen in this undertaking...

Here is what I'll be starting on this week. One of my Lustrian Empire Greatswords.
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Time to get started on some base coats, more to come soon I hope!
Last edited by TheHoundmaster on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: TheHoundmaster's Weekly Paint 2017

Post by Nappen » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:45 am

Hope to see a lot this year.

I had to put the table in storage when I came over to Europe, but I am missing it :)

TheHoundmaster
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Managed to get some progress on this guys.

Base coats:
[+] Expand

After washes.
[+] Expand

I decided to remove the "greatsword" since it wasn't actually lined up correctly and once I saw that I couldn't stand it. Time to get everything highlighted up.
Last edited by TheHoundmaster on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:14 am

looking good

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:03 am

I like it! Everytime anew I'm surprised how much of a difference a simple coat of wash creates on a miniature!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:13 pm

LordMcAllister wrote:I like it! Everytime anew I'm surprised how much of a difference a simple coat of wash creates on a miniature!
For those of us with shaky hands and less skill than the average 1st grader it's like a little bottle of liquid talent. :D

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 pm

So to save you all from having to look back through the huge number of pictures I'm uploading I'm going to be using the "spoiler" system like Arnathos does. I worked from home today, which means that I was able to take my lunch break to do a bit of painting when I wasn't overly tired or stressed yet. This is probably one of only a handful of miniatures that I've done the base-wash-base-highlight steps on. I'm usually just too overwhelmed by all the details on a model or lack the correct color combinations. So far I've only done his sleeves and pants, but I'm happy with it thus far. Highlighting the metal on the chest plate is going to be a chore though...
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
So what do y'all want to see next? Pick an Empire unit, any unit, and I'll build and paint one up if I've got one. So, whatcha want?

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Hey! I'm glad to see you back! I was missing your awesome silver and red dark angel miniatures and now I'm discovering your lustrian Imperials. I like the theme a lot. The Great Swords look very good with the huge pre-columbians spiked clubs. I like them very much.

As for what you should paint, I suggest you a unit of Reiksguard Knights! I've always loved these early 16th century knights a lot. They will certainly look cool with lizardman weapons!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:As for what you should paint, I suggest you a unit of Reiksguard Knights! I've always loved these early 16th century knights a lot. They will certainly look cool with lizardman weapons!
Glad to be back! Trying not to annoy with the amount of posts, but the more I do the more likely I am to stay focused and motivated. I've actually got a Reiksguard Knight modeled and ready to go somewhere around here. I'll see if I can find the bugger and get him ready. Here is one of the finished products while you wait!
[+] Expand

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 pm

I think I'll call this guy done. What do you think? Next up I'm going to work on the "sword" itself, then try to get them put together and probably ruin both.
[+] Expand

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:02 pm

And that's one more Greatsword down! I'm going to try to touch up the small grey area around his hands where I had to trim a portion off in order to get the sword to match the angle from the hands, but otherwise I'm happy with him. Just the base left to do, which shouldn't take long, and I'll have finished my weekly goal! Excuse the poor pictures, he doesn't like to stand without the base.
[+] Expand

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 am

greatsword looks much better, you were right.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:21 pm

wow he looks really good!

Always liked Empire, just didn't have time to get more into it.

You could do a Knight or a Lord - not sure what the units are called sorry!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

TheHoundmaster

Post by TheHoundmaster » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 pm

All done and based! And a bonus pick of all the greatswords I've done so far! (spoiler, its 2)
[+] Expand

I think I'll take y'all's advice and get another Knight done (bringing the total to 3). Pics of that coming soon!