LordMcAllister's Weekly Paint 2017

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Re: LordMcAllister's Weekly Paint 2017

Post by Rouven » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:27 am

The subtle weathering looks really cool and convincing. I know it has been mentioned before, but I think you found a really nice combination of colours.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 14 Poxwalkers

Sir-back-up
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Sir-back-up » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:24 pm

That dunecrawler is awesome:D
I really like your paint scheme for your army!
My projects
Orks
White scars
Blood angels
Eldar corsairs
Astra militarum
Death guard
Thousand sons
30k thousand sons

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Sir-back-up wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:24 pm
That dunecrawler is awesome:D
I really like your paint scheme for your army!
Thanks! I finally managed to finish the Dunecrawler, except for the weatheringpowder, which will be applied later.
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 1 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 2 Primaris Intercessor

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:58 pm

Really nice work on the base, the model doesn’t look too bad either :wink:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:34 pm

That Dunecrawler looks really nice. I feel like the worn brass/gold (which turned out great) on the legs needs to be carried into the accents on the upper hull, though. Maybe for some of the tubing/piping?

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:33 am

Thanks for your kind replies, Kroll and Munin! :)
Munin wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:34 pm
I feel like the worn brass/gold (which turned out great) on the legs needs to be carried into the accents on the upper hull, though. Maybe for some of the tubing/piping?
Yeah, I noticed this as well. I once learned as a rule of thumb, that colours, which are standing out from the rest, are best applied over the model in shape of a triangle. Which means, you should find the same kind of colour at three corresponding places. I noticed I forgot to applie gold on the main part of the tank, once I assembled it completly (which I tend to do after painting). It would have been much better, if I had painted the armour around the front and side windows in gold as well or at least the railing around the top hatch. I guess I'll do this on the next dunecrawler, as I don't want to redo this one now.
Painted in 2018:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:30 am

I feel you about not wanting to change something after you've finished it. I did all the helmets on my Afrika Korps guys in a color that (after wash) was just too dark. I'm dreading the idea of going back and fixing it, so I may just have a squad with "different issue" helmets. :D

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:05 am

Munin wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:30 am
I feel you about not wanting to change something after you've finished it. I did all the helmets on my Afrika Korps guys in a color that (after wash) was just too dark. I'm dreading the idea of going back and fixing it, so I may just have a squad with "different issue" helmets. :D
As I paint quite slowly, I'm always happy when I finally finish a unit/vehicle. If I'd redo everything I'm not 100% happy with then I wouldn't progress at all. I simply see it as a learning process for the next unit/vehicle. It's a nice proof for the painting theories I read about (i.e. the "colour triangle") and will remind me of it's effect to the viewer.
Painted in 2018:

Sir-back-up
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Sir-back-up » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Well that turned out looking awesome:p
My projects
Orks
White scars
Blood angels
Eldar corsairs
Astra militarum
Death guard
Thousand sons
30k thousand sons

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 am

Sir-back-up wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:06 pm
Well that turned out looking awesome:p
Thanks! :)
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Currently working on my Imperial Knight! Finished the legs as pledged and was even able to fix some of the battledamage which looked hideous! I'm actually quite pleased with it now! What do you guys think, did I overdo it?
[+] Expand
Painted in 2018:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm

I really like the weathering, especially in the white parts. I don't think it's overdone at all.

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Iguana1981 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:25 pm

Battle damage looks good.
Chaos ~ 679PL/11998 Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449 Tau ~ 121PL /2152 Eldar ~ 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you Munin and Iguana!

Last weekend I attended an airbrush workshop by Scars Miniature Madness in the netherlands. I learned so incredibly much about actually using my airbrush and not just let it collecting dust. I can absolutly recommend the course to everyone who is interested in learning to handle an airbrush. I had a great weekend with great people! Unfortunately I didn't manage to finish my rhino but as I'm a slow painter I never really expected to do so. :D

After I returned home I tried to apply OSL to my rhino but as I didn't have masking tape around and didn't want to wait for it to arrive, I rushed the whole thing and as it was to be expected, I got overspray in Inconvenient places. I removed a bit by applying more battle damage. Perhaps I can hide even more after applying the rust streaks... we will see.
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Today I started painting my Space Wolf flyer:
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 am

I weathered down my rhino even further. I really like the effect this ,,Rust Streaks"-paint from AK creates!
[+] Expand
Painted in 2018:

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2017”