GB 78: Storage Tank Burst

Have some fun and build some terrain! Every month we work together on another group build. Come on in and check it out.
locomoticopter
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

GB 78: Storage Tank Burst

Post by locomoticopter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:34 pm

So I have built a storage tank in the building past using the typical aluminum soda can. Since then I have wanted to build a ruptured on. I have begun my build and WIP pics are soon to come.
More of a hobbyist than a gamer.

Armies (if you can call it that):
1 set of Space Marine Tactical Squad (one mini modded to be female)
1 set of Ork Boyz
6 Zombicide survivors painted
2 Zombicide zombies painted (a lot more to go)
Asstd. Reaper Bones

locomoticopter
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: GB 78: Storage Tank Burst

Post by locomoticopter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm

So it begins

My first step was selecting a container. I prefer the taller can because I think it looks better when laid down horizontally. I only have one tall can on hand at the moment so I chose to experiment on the short can.

In my past experimentation with containers being burst open I cut a slit in the front of the can and started pealing the aluminum back. I wasn't happy with the result. It didn't look like the can burst. For this try I cut an opening in the can so I could push out the metal from the inside.

I pushed a pair of scissors through the open hole through the wall of the can. Then I turned the scissors 90 degrees and poked again. This gave a more outward displacement than my previous attempts.

I continued poking and tearing the metal until I had a rupture I was satisfied with.

I patched up the opening in the back with a little hot glue. Not the best but it worked.

In my past attempt at seams I used a bead of hot glue. This presented huge weld lines scale wise. For this attempt I opted to use "3D" paint hoping to get finer lines.

So that brings me to where I am currently. I have completed the most tedious part of this build. I completed all of the weld seams. They got sloppy near the end because I was getting tired of it

And yes I did go all the way around even though the bottom will never be seen.

If you are wondering about that last pic I put a short tutorial in the off topic section

1 set of Ork Boyz
Asstd. Reaper Bones

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Clever idea dude, especially the welds

You're obviously one step short of being a true terrain disciple though.... i see no blood!!! :lol:

locomoticopter
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by locomoticopter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Mach-Ten wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:14 pm
Clever idea dude, especially the welds

You're obviously one step short of being a true terrain disciple though.... i see no blood!!! :lol:
No blood yet. Typically though it seems my hobby injuries are usually minor yet painful burns. Hot glue guns, soldering irons, etc.

1 set of Ork Boyz
Asstd. Reaper Bones

locomoticopter
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by locomoticopter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Update

Primed with grey primer, spray painted gloss orange, washed with an earthshade brown wash, and weathered with a rust powder.

Here is the weathering powder I used

1 set of Ork Boyz
Asstd. Reaper Bones

locomoticopter
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by locomoticopter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Another day, another update.

I wanted to have a ladder on the side of the container that got mangled in the explosion. I considered 2 options. Go to the train store and buy a plastic O scale ladder. Or Solder together some solid copper wire and then mangle that. Of course I chose the more difficult and dangerous path.

I found some solid copper wire in my electronic hobby box.

I guestimated the length and width of the ladder and began stripping and cutting the wire.

I began by tinning the wire that was going to make up the side rain. Then began soldering on rungs. I spaced them to where I thought they looked ok. I wasn't too worried about being exact because I was going to destroy the ladder anyway.

I soldered the second rail to the rungs and bent the ladder to a curve shape to match the container. I considered painting the ladder but decided it looked good enough as is.

I cut the ladder in half and began to twist and mangle it. Then I glued it to the container.

Now what to do with it? How to build the ends so they don't look like a can? What to do, What to do?

1 set of Ork Boyz
Asstd. Reaper Bones

RandomTsar
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by RandomTsar » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:42 pm

Looking awesome man! Hopefully, you didn't get too many burns making that epic ladder. Glad to see things going well. I would suggest cutting some circles of various sizes of foam core for then ends of your barrels to hide the can-esk features. Best of luck!

locomoticopter
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by locomoticopter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:57 pm

RandomTsar wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:42 pm
Looking awesome man! Hopefully, you didn't get too many burns making that epic ladder. Glad to see things going well. I would suggest cutting some circles of various sizes of foam core for then ends of your barrels to hide the can-esk features. Best of luck!
Thanks for that. No serious burns. A few ouch followed by expletives. I considered the foam circles. However since I got carried away and painted it already I'm not sure how that will look. I considered leaving the concave end as is and attaching the other end to a building.

1 set of Ork Boyz
Asstd. Reaper Bones

RandomTsar
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by RandomTsar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 pm

If you've gotten your container based upload some photos. I'm sure nappen will still include it in the vote!

Return to “Current Group Build”