Making an undivided Daemon Army with Be'lakor

For all the discussions on Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar.
pontob
Now we're getting somewhere...

Making an undivided Daemon Army with Be'lakor

Post by pontob » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 am

Hello all ive been starting to read the lore for some of the age of sigmar books and they've really got me captivated so i was thinking about getting a chaos daemons army on the go :twisted: . I have a get started box set of nurgle daemons and a Be'lakor model which I've used for 40k games, but i was wondering about making an army with daemons from lots of different gods in it. I figured this might make sense lore wise since Be'lakor is an undivided daemon and so could potentially rule over a variety of different lesser chaos daemons. (For example, pink horrors as troops with plague drones supporting.) Opinions on whether this is doable, what daemons I should branch out with, and whether this is lore friendly would be appreciated thank you. :)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Making an undivided Daemon Army with Be'lakor

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:11 am

I don't know AoS much, but I've played Chaos Space Marines for years in 40k and read quite a bit of fluff on Chaos in Warhammer Fantasy long ago when I was prospective player (ended up playing 40k, but went for Orcs and Goblins/Bretonnia late in the 8th edition of Fantasy years after starting 40k). Chaos Undivided is really the same thing in both universes. It's the whole Chaos without chosing a god over another.

Aside from certain characters, as far as daemons go, the only undivided daemons are Furies and maybe some big weird beasts. All the others are aligned. The only way to make an undivided army that works for daemons is just making a multi god army. The thing is, Chaos Undivided is most often a mortal worshipper thing because certain gods have very strong rivalries (Tzeentch vs Nurgle on one hand, Khorne vs Slaanesh on the other) and will rarely work together unless it suits them on the short term. As far as rules are, there is nothing forbidding these mixes in AoS and in the 8th edition of Fantasy. It's just not extremely fluffy. However, over time, it seems GW relaxed somewhat these rivalries even in the fluff as there are a pletora of stories where they at least show themselves together, so feel free to make a multi god army without feeling that it's wrong.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

pontob
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by pontob » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:52 am

Yeah the rivalry of the different chaos gods could be a problem for narrative play. I'm thinking it would be worth either having a small even amount of different chaos gods in the army so no single unit is dominant or sticking to those that aren't direct rivals. With the nurgle starter box ive already got that would leave khorne, slaanesh, nurgle and/or the horned rat. I prefer the idea of daemons of specific gods mostly cause they have better models all round. The furies are cool, but their models haven't aged well and i'd prefer to stick to plastic models for the most part. The only other undivided demon I could see is the soul grinder which shouldn't even be in the fantasy range imo due to its cybernetic legs.

Im glad to hear that there are stories in which there are different ones together, that could make it a bit more plausible for narrative games. (: cheers

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:09 am

Yeah, the fury models are absolutely horrible. I fully agree with you. I believe some guy in the forum found some great alternative models a year ago for them if you aren't playing in a GW shop. I think these were either Mantic or Warmachine miniatures I believe. Also note that Khorne and Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeentch work relatively smoothly together and I think Nurgle and Slaanesh aren't to angry at each other even though they really don't want the same thing. However, things are tense between Khorne and Tzeentch because the former think that the later is a coward while the later think that the former is dumber than a donkey. So, there is potential to make a relatively fluffy multi god army anyway. In the end, take what you like. It's your army after all.

Yeah, I forgot the Soulgrinder for the same reason than you. My first reflex is to think that it's a 40k model lol.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG