New to AoS - Starting Army Advice

For all the discussions on Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar.
skipgiblets
Silver Vault Member

New to AoS - Starting Army Advice

Post by skipgiblets » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:09 am

I am a 40K player, and I've decided to start playing AoS, and I am looking for advice on a starting Army. I want to go with a Daemons Army - either Khorne or Nurgle. My main reason for this is because I will get a secondary Army for 40K. Is there any advice or pros/cons of which Daemon Army to focus on?
I don't like quotations, tell me what you know. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: New to AoS - Starting Army Advice

Post by SweetSorrow » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:31 am

So I don't know much about AoS, actually i have yet to play a game of it. From what I know of 40k however, id imagine both armies would play similarily.
Khorne will hit really hard with nurgle being slower and really resilent but less of a punch.
When i get home i can try to give a more in-depth description of each.
Last edited by SweetSorrow on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

skipgiblets
Silver Vault Member

Post by skipgiblets » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:18 pm

SweetSorrow wrote:When i get home i can try to give a more in-depth description of each.
Please do. I am currently leaning towards Nurgle. As you said, they are more resilient, and it would allow me to tap into psykers/magic. What I've been trying to do is scour the internet for the various Warscroll Battalions for Khorne and Nurgle so I know what each does, pick the one I like, and start collecting to that.
I don't like quotations, tell me what you know. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Indeed, Nurgle would give you a pretty forgiving army with its toughness as well as giving you access to magic that the Khorne forces will be lacking. Just keep in mind that Nurgle generally prefers more drawn out and meatgrinder fights and with how slow the army goes you can be kited or whittled down while you approach the enemy.

That said I Nurgle is alot of fun and is pretty forgiving army to paint, plus The Flies (forgot what they are called, sorry), do give you some faster units.

Khorne is going to be faster, Hit like a bus, while being a considerable amount less survivable. However most things won't survive a charge from some of Khornes units like Juggernauts and Bloodthirsters I believe are still one of the best Close Combat Units in the game for AoS. To my knowledge either way you are going to have limited shooting and will be needing to get your little demons up close to wreak havoc.

PPPPPPerrrrsonally, as a completely unrelated to the armies, I am leaning towards Khorne despite being a Nurgle fan due to the fact the Bloodthirster has an amazing new model and the Great Unclean one is still waiting.

As I said, I am kind of loathe to give advice for AoS since i have never played so the Warscrolls should hopefully give you a decent insight and help you decide which army to pick.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII