Return to fantasy player into AoS

For all the discussions on Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar.
Otamo7
MiniWarGaming Regular

Return to fantasy player into AoS

Post by Otamo7 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm an old fantasy player that hasn't played the fantasy universe since the End Times. I am thinking of playing AoS, and the main army I have is Skaven. The issue I am having is that the Skaven has been separated by clans. I do not have s themed Skaven collection but my question is, in pitched battle, can I use what I have in my collection as one army? So use clan Skryre with Clan Verminus and clan Moulder?

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Return to fantasy player into AoS

Post by Koonitz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Otamo7 wrote:I'm an old fantasy player that hasn't played the fantasy universe since the End Times. I am thinking of playing AoS, and the main army I have is Skaven. The issue I am having is that the Skaven has been separated by clans. I do not have s themed Skaven collection but my question is, in pitched battle, can I use what I have in my collection as one army? So use clan Skryre with Clan Verminus and clan Moulder?
Absolutely. You could actually use any unit, from any faction, from any grand alliance in your army, even in pitched battle. There are also no penalties for allying with 'opposing' units (such as in 40k, where there is an Allied chart that can penalize you for doing so).

The benefit for focusing your army is that you gain certain benefits (relics, command traits, et cetera), depending on how focused your allegiance is. The small number of armies that have their own battletomes have benefits for staying within their specific army (Skaven do not have one, but in the context of "army", Skaven is the army). Most others gain the benefits for being in their grand alliance, whether they stay within their army, or take units from other factions within their grand alliance.

Some specific factions within the army may gain some minor benefits (ie: A unit may become battle line if you are Clan Skryre or whatnot), but there are no other specific benefits for staying within a given clan.

So, shake it up, take what you want (As long as you maintain the limitations of battleline or behemoth or whatnot). Skaven are part of Grand Alliance Chaos, since the Great Horned Rat moved in on the empty throne vacated by the capture of Slaanesh, so you would gain access to the benefits, relics, et cetera for being a Grand Alliance Chaos army, and could dabble in other Chaos units while maintaining that allegiance.

Edit: To give you an example of how focusing your army's allegiance can be, I'll give you an example of my army, Sylvaneth. Since I have a battletome, if I stuck to only Sylvaneth models, I could take a command trait and relic from either the Sylvaneth Battletome OR the Grand Alliance Order list. I also gain a few other small benefits (access to extra spells from the tome), and Tree Revenants become battleline for me, whereas otherwise only Dryads are battleline.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch