How did your last game go? AoS Edition

For all the discussions on Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar.
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

How did your last game go? AoS Edition

Post by Koonitz » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:56 am

Thought I'd start one of these for Age of Sigmar as I almost posted this in the 40k one just for the sake of viewership (and because I hadn't had a game in a while).

My friend and I have been trying to have our first AoS game for some time. However, both times we arranged to play, something terrible would happen (first time, he lost his job, second time, our FLGS flooded and is, to this day, still closed for repair and renovation).

But, another local hobby shop (who never hosted tabletop before due to the FLGS pretty much monopolizing it) opened their doors to welcome tabletop gamers in while the FLGS is down. We jumped on the chance to have a game.

We played "Places of Power" at 900 points. Sylvaneth VS Skaven. Surprisingly, he didn't outnumber me as much as Skaven should, as I had two solid blocks of 20 Dryads as my core, supported by a Branchwych (general) and Treelord Ancient. He had 3 heroes capable of capturing the objectives. I didn't have any wyldwood markers, so we agreed to let me use large blast templates as my wyldwood.
[+] Expand
Only one image, sadly.
Skaven took first turn and surged forward, taking an early lead as he got his general on the far objective. The only model capable of damaging me was the plaguewind mortar (on the far hill, behind his general), which targeted a unit large enough to give it both bonuses (+1 wound, dmg becomes 6), however he fired wide, missing the unit.

On my turn, I had both a need to knock his warlord off the objective and destroy the plaguewind mortar. I wasn't keen on burning my relic so soon (Moonstone on the Ancient), but I had to destroy them both. The Treelord landed between both models, just far enough to follow the relic rules (no closer than 4"). I also used my Sylvaneth command trait from the Branchwych to grant +1 charge to both dryad units. Magic and shooting burned his warlord down to 2 wounds. When I charged, the far unit of dryads rolled box cars, getting a very, very vengeful 13" charge, tying up the giant rats, plague monks and warlord. The Ancient hit his warlord and engaged the mortar. The dryads tore at the rats and plague monks, doing decent, but largely superficial damage, then dropped his warlord, allowing the ancient to impale the mortar. Unfortunately, the consolidation to get the mortar pulled him away from the objective, losing me the point.

On turn 2, he took the turn, surging forward again, allowing one of his other heroes to cap the central objective while my Branchwych moved too cautiously to get close. His clanrats piled in to engage my far unit of dryads while the rat ogres were able to engage my other unit of dryads. The near unit of clan rats, deployed on that flank to cover the wyldwood, proved too slow to get anywhere useful. His warp lightning knocked one wound off my Branchwych while the clanrats and ogres began to seriously whittle down my dryads (both were knocked below the 12 model count for the extra save).

On my turn, for magic, I attempted to manifest the Branchwych's Spite power, rolling a 9 (For every unit in range, roll a number of dice equal to the casting power, in this case 9. Every 6 is a mortal wound). It would have clipped 4 units. He managed to deny it with a 10. I was so disappointed. The Branchwych was then able to move up to engage his hero on the objective while shooting was able to knock out his other remaining hero. Instead of going for the objective, my Treelord smashed into the clanrats. I was able to drop the rat ogres, but my Branchwych and Treelord both whiffed all of their attacks except the impaling talon (which sure did kill that one clanrat real good). At the end of turn 2, the points were still 2-0 in his favour. If he got first turn on turn 3 and my Branchwych failed to kill his hero, he'd get 2 points for holding that objective again.

Fortunately, I got first turn for turn 3, getting a double turn. My near unit of dryads piled straight into his hero, supporting the Branchwych. The Treelord and other dryad unit consolidated their position and finally finished off the clanrats and giant rats (yes, they were still alive and kicking until here). The Branchwych was able to drop his hero (after being reduced to 1 wound), giving me my first point as I wrested that place of power from the horned rat, making the score 2-1 in the rat's favour.

On his turn, he only had the flanking clanrat unit which had still not reached the battle. He failed to long-bomb charge.

On turn 4, I went first again, the Branchwych healing 3 wounds with Regrowth and allowing me to consolidate both dryad units to shield wall against the clanrats, the forward unit going for a point blank charge (and whiffing on a double 1). However, as the treelord was able to fall back to his place of power, I got 3 points, making the score 4-2. At this point, there was no way he'd be able to capture points, or reasonably destroy the rest of my army and he conceded.

It was a fun game, with a fair number of back-and-forth moments. I did get lucky in being able to push him off his objectives each time he went for one, preventing him from getting a run-away point total. I'd say his one flanking clanrat unit being held up as he tried to protect me from using the wyldwood is probably what cost him the game, as they were unable to do anything, allowing me to consolidate and crush the rest of his army. He was also unable to do any reasonable damage to my Treelord Ancient (it took 1 wound early on, then nothing for the rest of the game).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Geradox
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: How did your last game go? AoS Edition

Post by Geradox » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Today me and another new AoS player had a quick learn to play game at 600pts I brought khorne daemons he brought khorne bloodhound.

My list was 20 letters, skullmaster on juggernaught, a skull cannon, 5 flesh hounds. And I was running the murderhost

My opponent was running a mighty Lord of khorne, a slaughter priest, a bloodsecrater, 20 blood reavers, and 5 blood warriors.

I deployed first and finished deploying my daemons first as well so I went first. Due to my formation I rolled 2d6 and got a 11 in move with everyone either 8 of my Herald. In the shooting phase o shot and killed 3 reavers. In my charging only my letters made it in cause my khorne guys were like nope not today.
I killed 7 guys from the teachers and he killed 3 of my letters. He lost another 5 to battle shock as well. And since I had a certain banner I rolled a 1 for battle shock and gained 6 more letters.

On turn two he moved all but his totem guy either 3 of my dudes and charged after getting his buffs off. He killed no one but did manage to dent my skull cannon for a whole 1 damage and knock my Herald down to 2 life. I finished off his r eavers without losing a single daemon.

For turn two I won the roll off so I moved my letters closer to his totem guy.in my shooting phase i killed his Lord by shooting him with the cannon him failing his save And then rolling for 6 wounds on it. And moved my puppies either 3. For charges my puppies decided to eat the bits of the khorne Lord that was ly8ng around cuz I rolled a 2 for the charge. My letters surrounded and poked to deaths his totem dude. My cannon killed a dude with the law and was able to shoot at the priest to kill it dead at which point my opponent decided to call it a game cuz he only had 4 models left on top of turn 2
Chaos always, always chaos.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 am

Sounds like you had a good game. Glad to see more AoS going on, and let's face it, Khorne cares not.
Geradox wrote:On turn two he moved all but his totem guy either 3 of my dudes and charged after getting his buffs off. He killed no one but did manage to dent my skull cannon for a whole 1 damage and knock my Herald down to 2 life. I finished off his r eavers without losing a single daemon.
Just wanted to comment that if you are playing pitched battle (points), you can never regain more than the original size of the squad. Having lost 3, you would only have been able to regain 3, then the other 3 would be lost. The only way to bring more models in than you started would be through summoning, which requires points held in reserve.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Geradox
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Geradox » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Koonitz wrote:Sounds like you had a good game. Glad to see more AoS going on, and let's face it, Khorne cares not.
Geradox wrote:On turn two he moved all but his totem guy either 3 of my dudes and charged after getting his buffs off. He killed no one but did manage to dent my skull cannon for a whole 1 damage and knock my Herald down to 2 life. I finished off his r eavers without losing a single daemon.
?
Just wanted to comment that if you are playing pitched battle (points), you can never regain more than the original size of the squad. Having lost 3, you would only have been able to regain 3, then the other 3 would be lost. The only way to bring more models in than you started would be through summoning, which requires points held in reserve.
I'll keep that in mind next time. Luckily though the 3 extra guys didn't add much to my victory
Chaos always, always chaos.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”