One Part Army Book and One Part Card Game?

For all the discussions on Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar.
TobyGaunt89
MiniWarGaming Regular

One Part Army Book and One Part Card Game?

Post by TobyGaunt89 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:27 am

To start off I'd just like to say that I do not have a lot of AoS knowledge nor gameplay experiance under my belt so perhaps all of this will
sound strange to you (the AoS player community) but I'd like to put it out there anyway. I would also like to say that a lot of mechanics that I'm about to explain will come from the points of 40K gameplay mechanics, so bear with me ok. :)

What if AoS was one part miniature skirmisher game and one part Card game?

What I mean about this is that models have a set of Stats like the once that AoS curranttly have or 40K-ish in effect (like Weapon Skill, Strength, Toughness and so forth) but with few set rules attributed to the models (such as Furious Charge, Rage and so forth).

Instead the players may build a 50 Card deck of Action Cards (or Warscroll Cards may be better) that can be activated during the course of the game. The Core Rulebook comes with a 80 Card set that is Faction-less (meaning that they can be used by all armies in the game). And with each Army Books come a 50 Card set that can only be used with that faction (and by its models). The final deck may contain any combo of the Core 80 cards and 50 Army Book cards as long as the final number of cards in the Deck is 50 (mo more no less). The game starts with each player drawing 5 cards and may draw

These cards could have the following categories:

1) Arcane - Cards that trigger affects relating to Arcane Caster ability to cast spells. These category would have the following sub-categories:

1a) Blessing
1b) Curse
1c) Conjuration
1d) Alteration.
1e) Destruction.

Blessing - as the name suggest are arcane powers the are cast on your allies to improve their abilities on the battlefield.

Curse - serves as the opposit to Blessing and focuses on weakening your opponents abilities on the battlefield.

Conjuration - allowes the caster to summon models (arguably for Daemons and Undead factions) but also allowes other factions to create objects and weather effects.

Alteration - focuses largely on terrain based mechanics.

Destruction - perhaps the most straight forward category of them all. Spells that focuses on dealing direct damage to enemy units.

Each Arcane Warscroll card has a casting value (that is rolled on a D20 dice). The value of the spell must be equalled or higher in order to successfully cast the spell. The more powerful the spell the higher the value will be.

Example:

Name: Comet of Casandora.
Type: Arcane - Destruction.
Casting Value: (14)

In order to cast this Arcane Spell you would need to roll one D20 dice and the result must be 14 or higher.

If any Arcane Spell roll is a roll of a 1, the caster suffer from "Arcane Backlash". The spell fails to cast and the model rolls on a D6 table and suffers the ill effect of the table (much like Perils of the Warp in the 40K rules).

2) Relics - Cards that are, in general, item based that can be equipped to a select Hero, Wizard or Monster model that gives it a permanant boost throughout the game. A model may only have one Relic equipped of each sub-category to a single model. The Relics sub-categories are:

2a) Blade.
2b) Shield.
2c) Armour.
2d) Talisman.
2e) Potions.
2f) Library.

Blade - Items come in many ways (Swords, Spears, Halberd and so forth) and in general adds the models offensive abillity in combat.

Shield - Items stands in opposite to Blade items as they add to the models defensive abilites in combat.

Armour - Items add a smaller defensive bonus then shield but adds other effects that boost the models abilities.

Talisman - Items that have varied effects.

Potions - One use items with great effects.

Library - Items that take effect when certain conditions are met, and are more powerful in the hands of Wizard then other models.

3) Tactics - Cards takes affect on entire friendly unit and gives a unit a bonus if the condition of the cards text is met. Tactics Warscroll Cards have the following sub-categories:

3a) Deployment.
3b) Siege.
3c) Fortification.
3c) Trap.
3d) Counter.
3e) Strategy.

Deployment - Cards affect models movement during the enemy turn (where they normally cannot move).

Siege - Grants temporary bonus' to units that declare charges or is engage in battle in buildings.

Fortification - Stands at the opposit to Siege cards as they gain bonuses when they are charged and if they control the besiege building.

Trap - Sets up a penalty to enemy units based on terrain.

Counter - Allowes you to either negate certain action made by your opponent or allowes your unit to make a certain action IF the opponent declares a select action themselves.

Strategy - Allowes you to affect the Warscroll cards in your hand and/or deck/discard pile or even arrange cards activated on the battlefield.

Summary, and what is the point of adding this to the game?

1) It adds a new mechanic to the games that is played like a Chess game along a game like Go. Each model unit must be played along side an activated card at the right moment during the course of the game.

and secondly, and perhaps more importantly:

2) It adds a Random element in what each army brings to the table. It also prevents each army (and each unit v model) from purchasing direct items that "mathematicly beneficiary" combos of spells, items and effects that pushes a game into OP territory. You need to balance the cards with your army and you must be ready to adapt your gameplan accordingly to what the base ability of each model is capable to do and when each Warscroll card(s) will come in need the most.

But that's just my take. Give your opinion if this mechanic would be good for the game or not :)

And as always, happy wargaming.