Age of Sigmar...where to start.

For all the discussions on Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar.
Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Age of Sigmar...where to start.

Post by Dez » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:44 am

I'm SO tempted by Flesh Eater Court it's not funny, and it's for the fluff! This is one of the few armies I'd suggest picking up the Battletome for, in particular the fluff is fantastic. They are flesh eating Zombies, but have a madness where they think they are nobles and knights protecting the realm having magnificent feasts and fighting evil haha!

I'd start with the Flesh Eater Start Collection box. It's a terrific value, and comes with a Battalion rules for the contents so you can play right out of the box. It comes to a conservative 640 points. You can build up a great army out of the Start Collecting boxes alone, 3-4 of them.

Here is some of their story http://ageofsigmar.wikia.com/wiki/Flesh-eater_Courts
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:50 pm

While the suggestions already made are good, I'd like to highlight one, and then make a pointer of my own:

1) While it's nice not to have to buy any books or whatnot, I would recommend that if you like the fluff, that you buy the books that you know are related to your desired army. The rules are freely available, the fluff is not, so be ready to buy the books for the fluff you want.

2) The get started bundle is fantastic, as are pretty much every one GW has released. However, if you plan on using the Pitched Battle point system from the General's Handbook, no matter what formations you want to use, you must still abide by the restrictions of what units you may bring. Ie: If you are playing a 1,000 point battle, you still need 2+ Battleline units. If the formation only includes 1, you must also include another Battleline unit, either by bringing another battleline unit, another formation that includes one, or the like. You must also pay points for the formation, itself (akin to old school apocalypse formations from 40k).

The fact that formations do not ignore the restrictions of units in Pitched Battle systems is very much different from the way they work in 40k, and can be easily forgotten by veteran 40k players looking into AoS.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Number6
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Number6 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:45 pm

I'm really liking what I have seem on the AOS.

I picked up the Start collecting Malignants and Skeleton Hoard sets earlier this year (primarily since they are just cool models), as well as the Grand Alliance Death book. It's a good reference book, with just a little fluff. Honestly, while I may get the Generals handbook in the future, I'm more interested in the original AOS non points play. Unfortunately,games seem to be sparse, as most in my area want to stick with 40k, or the occasional Black Powder game.

Looking forward to building them, although I am going a slightly different route with some of the models than the sets and battle scrolls suggest.

N6
40k Dark Angels, Harlequins/Dark Eldar
30K Emperors Children
WHF/AOS Vampire Counts

28mm Napoleonics
28mm AWI
Malifaux Ressers

Number6
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Number6 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:43 am

General-Kroll wrote:
What is the play style of the Malignants, and Death in general like? I love the models, but from the few games you've played what have your impressions been?
I'm still in the process of building them, and haven't had a chance to play them yet, so can't speak to how they play for me.
The release of the Generals handbook did peak more interest in my area, so I'm hoping that games become more frequent.
40k Dark Angels, Harlequins/Dark Eldar
30K Emperors Children
WHF/AOS Vampire Counts

28mm Napoleonics
28mm AWI
Malifaux Ressers

Aauburger
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by Aauburger » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:26 am

I had a buddy buy 2 flesh eater boxes, solid army in itself!

-

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:34 am

Flesh Eater Court is on my 'want to play' list for sure.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:14 pm

Did you guys see there's actually a new little starter AoS set? it's like ~$50 I think, for a box of something like 6? models or so, I can't recall exactly sorry. I saw a copy at my FLGS before someone snatched it up :P Anyway worth looking into, has some neat looking models and a starter set of the rules etc I believe.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/St ... Sigmar-ENG << this is what I was meaning
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)