How viable are single race armies?

For all the discussions on Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar.
TenDM
Now we're getting somewhere...

How viable are single race armies?

Post by TenDM » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:16 am

With the General's Handbook cleaning up a lot of the 'the official rule is make your own house rule' issues I had with Age of Sigmar I'm considering giving it a shot, but I'm not a huge fan of the Grand Alliance idea. It seems weird to me that most games will be played against the same faction as me. Even with the lore saying it's ok it feels too much like cherry picking the best parts to make a strong, fluff defying list.
So I'm just wondering how necessary it is to draw from the entire Grand Alliance in order to field a viable army? I don't mind losing, I'm no master tactician, but I don't want to lose again and again simply because the Seraphon are designed to be part of an army not the entire army. Is taking all Duardin or Highborn like trying to build an army from one page of a Codex, or do they function like a standalone faction?

blood-angels
Bronze Vault Member

Re: How viable are single race armies?

Post by blood-angels » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:16 am

not gona say i know alot about what you aske but i play ironjawz and they only get a battleline if there is no other "factions" in the army aka i cant have any other units thats not an ironjawz. from my experince from the games i have played i usualy do better when i dont mix them together with my other destruktion army (ogre kingdom). not many of my opponents mix their armys ether so i would say you can play 9/10 armys alone with the exeptions of some that have to few units or not a good mix of the units they have (ironweld arsenal is a good exampel of a faction that needs to combine with other units from otehr factions). granted i dont know if there is a bonus to take units from one allegence alone but in general i think most armys can do well without mixing units form the grand alliance and only taking units from their own faction.
white scars: 2000p+ almost all painted
Ironjawz AoS: 2100p. painted 100%
few other projects too

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:31 pm

Some can, some can't. Some are designed to be able to, some are not.

For instance, there are so many varied factions within "Death" that almost all of them are essentially unreasonable to be fielded alone (or straight up impossible).

On the other hand, Sylvaneth are a largely fleshed out army with lots of options, capable of not only being fielded alone, but being fielded alone in multiple ways.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

TenDM
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by TenDM » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:36 am

Thanks for clearing this up for me.