Moonclan Fanatics' and Charging.

For all the discussions on Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar.
Greatnesstro
MiniWarGaming Regular

Moonclan Fanatics' and Charging.

Post by Greatnesstro » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:31 pm

The Warscroll of the Fanatics say that can charge on an opponent's turn. Can I do this before they charge, and does that prevent them from charging?
Warhammer 40k:
3000pts Necron- The House of Y
1800pts Orks- The Sekind Han Sojas
2600pts Chaos Space Marines- The Copper Legion
1000pts Eldar- Can't Believe it's not Butters

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar
Undead Legion "1500pts"

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Moonclan Fanatics' and Charging.

Post by Koonitz » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Greatnesstro wrote:The Warscroll of the Fanatics say that can charge on an opponent's turn. Can I do this before they charge, and does that prevent them from charging?
Can you either provide a link to the warscroll, or the specific wording of the rule so that it can be properly interpreted?
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Greatnesstro
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Greatnesstro » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Yeah, sorry about that.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-JP/Grot-Fanatics#

And I was mistaken about the name, they are Grot Fanatics.
Warhammer 40k:
3000pts Necron- The House of Y
1800pts Orks- The Sekind Han Sojas
2600pts Chaos Space Marines- The Copper Legion
1000pts Eldar- Can't Believe it's not Butters

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar
Undead Legion "1500pts"

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Greatnesstro wrote:The Warscroll of the Fanatics say that can charge on an opponent's turn. Can I do this before they charge, and does that prevent them from charging?
At the start of any charge phase you can release the fanatics: set up the Grot Fanatics within 1" of the unit that is hiding them. The Fanatics can then charge, even if it isn’t your charge phase.

Looks like you do this before anyone on the opposing side charges. No clue if that prevents the target from charging tho.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:28 pm

coldsteel wrote:
At the start of any charge phase you can release the fanatics: set up the Grot Fanatics within 1" of the unit that is hiding them. The Fanatics can then charge, even if it isn’t your charge phase.

Looks like you do this before anyone on the opposing side charges. No clue if that prevents the target from charging tho.
As this is done before the enemy charges, if you successfully charge, one would assume then that the enemy unit is engaged and therefore cannot charge, only pile in.

It is the same idea as if, in 40k, you charge an enemy unit that elects not to overwatch. If you successfully charge, they are now engaged and may not overwatch any other unit that declares a charge against them further in that phase.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:06 am

Koonitz wrote:
coldsteel wrote:

As this is done before the enemy charges, if you successfully charge, one would assume then that the enemy unit is engaged and therefore cannot charge, only pile in.

It is the same idea as if, in 40k, you charge an enemy unit that elects not to overwatch. If you successfully charge, they are now engaged and may not overwatch any other unit that declares a charge against them further in that phase.
Ah, excellent. Don't play AoS, so didn't know the specific mechanics.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

nine7six
Bronze Vault Member

Post by nine7six » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:15 pm

This get's done to me ALOT as I always forget they are hiding.

e.g i charge a large group of goblin archers, I say i'm going to charge and they release the fanatics and charge them in essentially blocking my charge so i'm forced to fight the fanatics but essentially you have 2 ways of doing this, letting me get off my charge and attack the unit first then charge with fantatics therefore letting the fanatics do the the most damage or charge first forcing me to try and wipe the unit before it can do damage to me.

AoSKing
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by AoSKing » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:27 pm

LOL I love grots, that 'Out of Control' ability is hilarious.
Just waiting for those Duardin...
http://www.ageofsigmarking.com

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:51 am

Koonitz nailed it, and nine7six introduced and interesting tactical application. I love it!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!