Sylvaneth Battletome

For all the discussions on Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar.
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Sylvaneth Battletome

Post by Koonitz » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:24 pm

I've got my hands on the Sylvaneth battletome. The lore is wonderful, full of rich history (yes, even for Age of Sigmar) and absolutely inspiring rules.

As you would expect, I went to look at the spells, command traits and artifacts. There are plenty wonderful rules here. However, what really caught my eyes and what spurred me to write this post is that they have a two page spread for fighting on a Place of Power. What this is is long forgotten Sylvaneth enclave, or other related location that the Sylvaneth are attempting to purify.

The rules allow for a game spanning process of purifying the location and allowing life to grow once more on this location. This can be hindered if there are any Chaos nearby. Over time, it becomes a boon to Sylvaneth if they are able to awaken the land enough.

The way it works is at the start of the game, roll a d6 (-1 if Chaos is present at the battle). That is the level of awakening. At the start of each turn, roll another d6 (no -1) and add to the existing awakening level. There is a table of effects based on the level of awakening that affect the battle for that turn.

Additionally, both Chaos and Sylvaneth wizards gain spells that can either hinder or help the awakening process (subtract or add up to d3 points).

If a campaign is being played, there is a separate table for triumph boons for the following game if the Sylvaneth are victorious.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this and sincerely hope they do more like these rules in further battletomes.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Sylvaneth Battletome

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:38 pm

just looking at the teaser images they look pretty cool!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Cherubael
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Sylvaneth Battletome

Post by Cherubael » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:05 am

Koonitz wrote:I've got my hands on the Sylvaneth battletome. The lore is wonderful, full of rich history (yes, even for Age of Sigmar) and absolutely inspiring rules.

Reaaally? This is very interesting. I have very limited interest in AoS atm. I am/was a big fan of the lore of WFB. It was the only thing that kept me in contact with the hobby for a long time as I didn't paint or wargame for 10+ years, but continued to read BL novels and publications. If GW eventually flesh out interesting lore, then I would be interested in eventually starting a force.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”