Why so much hate for AoS?

For all the discussions on Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar.
psychoticbuzzsaw
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Why so much hate for AoS?

Post by psychoticbuzzsaw » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:09 pm

This game has totally revitalized my group and other players in my 200 mile playing area, yes 200 i have to travel to play down to Myrtle beach up to Wilmington and farther north to Jacksonville and Newbern and east as far as Fayetville and Raleigh and sometimes Charlotte. Everyone has dusted off old fantasy minis and love the game its a definite improvement over the abomination that was 8th edition. I think a lot comes from internet bashing and as usual to many people following in suit without even trying it (the same problem with units and certain codex releases learn an army and dont switch so much and you can run units that have a bad name in a competitive way and stay fluffy I won or came in top 3 in more than a few tournaments with my chaos space marines in 5th with nurgle bikers and dreads the former being bad by internet standards and latter well thought unplayable especially with plasma cannons but thats a story for another day) anyway give the game a chance dont think so competitively and think fun for right now its a blast

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Why so much hate for AoS?

Post by Arnathos » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:22 pm

It's good man, it is just a lot of internet nay sayers, I guess not everyone can be happy, but I believe it will bring some new blood into the hobby.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Well the game is dumb and degenerates in a big chaotic melee very quickly. I washed my hands of it and will continue to play the 8th edition for as long as I can. I've dropped big texts about why it sucks and I won't repeat them. There are much better skirmish games around if I wanted to play one anyway. And nobody seems to see the danger AoS creates for 40k. GW could decide that 40k should be lobotomised too and I don't want to encourage that by buying their medieval Space Marines.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

psychoticbuzzsaw
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by psychoticbuzzsaw » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Arnathos wrote:It's good man, it is just a lot of internet nay sayers, I guess not everyone can be happy, but I believe it will bring some new blood into the hobby.

As do I Arnathos its easy to learn and late teens and early 20 somethings who never touched fantasy are playin in stores i got to now.

8th edition is what killed fantasy, and i see no danger in the future of 40k because of AoS from a few other things yes but not this. ive plaed fantasy since 4th edition and 8th is by and far the worst rules system introduced 6th being the best in my opinion. And im not alone on 8th bashing lots and lots of people quit fantasy with the intro of 7th and even more with 8th its really why 40k got so big even though it has always done well more older people who had spare cash to blow played fantasy than 40k which was considered a gam for younger players not us old grognards lol

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by rollplayinggamer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:46 am

It's funny. Because i was trying to get into warhammer fantasy with a skaven army. I failed miserably though. Because everyone near me plays 2000+ points in 8th, So i told myself that after i was happy with my 40k collection i'd then start collecting more skaven and try to properly get into the game.

Then AoS comes out. And 90% of the skaven models i wanted to buy are now gone. I have lord skrolk. But plague monks? Gone. Plague claw catapult? Gone. And i don't even have enough plague censer bearers for a single unit, Which are also gone.

I honestly feel no reason to buy these new AoS miniatures. As most of the old armies which i was interested in all got half of their model ranges axed. (Some of the skaven stuff might be coming back. As their is a new faction called pestilens, But they'll probably come with round bases making it even harder for a newer player wanting into fantasy. Not sigmarines.)

In closing. I share kovlovsky fear of "Age of Emperor" I'm currently going into overdrive hoping i can at least get the models i want so if Gee Dubs does kill 40k. I at least have enough variety to keep playing whatever edition they might end 40k at.
40k armies:
'Nids Hive Fleet Mantis 2000+ pts
Ork Goffs / Orks 1700+ pts
Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company 600+ pts

supasnake
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by supasnake » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:51 am

So I don't understand the hate either. I have always loved warhammer but never have owned so much as one mini. I was turned off by the initial cost to play, the rules, the elitism. But after getting hyped about the new Total War game, I went over to GW site and was super excited to see a two army set that I could buy (from ebay) for $90! As I read over the rules I became even more excited. Age of Sigmar hooked me and not just me, I've since recruited my girlfriend and two friends (all of whom have never played a wargame). So it made me said to see so many people passionately bash AoS. I understand where it has weaknesses, but it's not like other tabletop games don't have weaknesses either.

It has been a blast for my group of friends to get into Warhammer and once again it's all thanks to AoS. I even visited my local hobby shop that hosts Warhammer games only to be disappointed by ZERO AoS merchandise. I asked why and the owner said, "Everyone plays 40k and won't try Sigmar". I asked if any games had been played on their Warhammer day and got a swift "Nope." This makes me sad because I feel people have overlooked the basic fun that these games should provide and write off a product solely based on perceptions and prejudice.

I love this game so much I even started a blog to document my adventures: https://descentintochaos.wordpress.com/

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:26 pm

Tazok wrote:
rollplayinggamer wrote:Then AoS comes out. And 90% of the skaven models i wanted to buy are now gone. I have lord skrolk. But plague monks? Gone. Plague claw catapult? Gone. And i don't even have enough plague censer bearers for a single unit, Which are also gone.
I see them in the pre-order page right now. GW is not removing models. They simply re-release them with round base in a Age of Sigmar box.
Well i already said:
rollplayinggamer wrote: (Some of the skaven stuff might be coming back. As their is a new faction called pestilens, But they'll probably come with round bases making it even harder for a newer player wanting into fantasy. Not sigmarines.)
But it was a rather large post, So apologizes. Also why do round bases warrant a huge price increase? Censer bearers used to be like 16$. Now they're the same price as a warp lighting cannon at 33$?!

Also all square bases but slotted diagonal and 50mm are sold out / unavailable. At least in the US. And i doubt those will come back.
40k armies:

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by rollplayinggamer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:04 pm

Ah, My bad then.
40k armies:

Sklodo
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Sklodo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Well if they had relesed AoS as a separete game I woud had nothing against it. I woud still not play it. But i would not care. My hate comes from replacing my favorite system with somthing soooooo inferior in almost any way.

Granted WFB had its problems. But they could be fixed without axing 30 years of Warhammer lore, and making rules that are just silly (talking to invisible horse anybody?). This was like cleaning youre room with grenade insted of broom.

Oh and GW in its "wisdom" decided there have to be Space Marines in Fantasy becouse lack of them was "obviously" main reason why WFB was not selling well.

TheWolfman
Silver Vault Member

Post by TheWolfman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:14 pm

People hate change and are ignorant as hell. Don't like the game? That's cool, you are allowed not to like it. But what is annoying is people won't stop bitching about it. Go play something else and STOP ruining it for people who actually like it.

Get over it guys.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:18 pm

TheWolfman wrote:People hate change and are ignorant as hell. Don't like the game? That's cool, you are allowed not to like it. But what is annoying is people won't stop birch* about it. Go play something else and STOP ruining it for people who actually like it.

Get over it guys.
I do apologize for being rude in reply to you, but when people have invested as much as they have into something like WarHammer Fantasy (and 40k), they have every right to express their opinion and provide feedback regarding something that has directly affected them.

In context of expressing opinion, they also have every right to be angry at having everything they've worked towards be pulled out from under them, then told to "suck it" by the company they supported (and you).
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:08 pm

^^^ What Koonitz said.

Don't like people bitching about it? Take your own advice:
TheWolfman wrote:Get over it guys.

Zipding
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Location: Hovering behind your left shoulder, invisibly, of course

Post by Zipding » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:49 pm

An issue that I have with the setting in general is what they've done to the Lizardmen.

Once, they were the children of the Old Ones, the first race to grace the Warhammer World, and the first empire to rise. Staunch guardians working together to create and fulfill the Great Plans of the Old Ones. However, with the fall of the polar gates and the abandonment of the Old Ones, the Lizardmen are left trying to complete the Great Plan working with fractions of what the Old Ones had while trying to preserve their temple cities, which are falling one by one.

Now they're just daemons that can be summoned to help fight against Chaos and live in the Realm of Heavens. They also have the same name as a race as Malekith's dragon (good job in the naming department there GW).

Honestly, during the End Times, I thought Tehenhauin was a shoe in for Incarnate of Beasts. Not that Grimgor was a disappointment, at least the Orcs and Goblins were in more than one book. Grimgor also got to be awesome in his moment of death, destroying one of the artifacts of Chaos.
Armies:
Lizardmen: 3200 points
Vampire Counts: 2500 points
Skaven: 2200 points

Amount painted by army:
Lizardmen: 97%
Vampire Counts: 92%
Skaven: 87%