Cerberusrex25's Weekly paint 2016 AKA how I will finish my army.

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Cerberusrex25
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Cerberusrex25's Weekly paint 2016 AKA how I will finish my army.

Post by Cerberusrex25 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Incredibly enough, dry brush.By using very little paint, it gives it an almost airbrushed look, minimum to zero washes required since I started with a black base.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Ah, I was assuming drybrush at first...then I noticed the sprays of color on the paper towel. I was wondering how you get that effect with an airbrush, haha
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Cerberusrex25
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cerberusrex25 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:38 pm

Nah, that is where I scrub my dry brush so I can get paint in all the bristles. I sadly don't own an airbrush and I wish I did, some of the best stuff is done with airbrushes.

Cerberusrex25
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cerberusrex25 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:47 pm

So, today's work consisted of finishing ALL the red parts, detailing the face and doing some pre-assembly to make sure the tomes matched. The goal was met, until my niece got involved. I love her, she's the best, but she got into my paintbox today; I turned my back to fix the paintbox for one second and she went and spilled my cleaning solution cup on the final piece I was working on. Ended up respraying the arm, but it is all brushed and ready to start on details.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:21 pm

really cool! love that face

I have to laugh about the niece and the cup tho, sorry... when my younger two were probably 15 mo and 2.5 yr old, they got into my blue acrylic paint. They spread it from the upstairs, with hands, little feet and drips, to the down stairs where we found them in the bathroom... covered in blue paint and not much else!

Yeah it only takes a second lol

Anyway, love the progress!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 pm

I told my youngest to put a 'washable' marker away recently while in my other daughters room. I literally coughed, and she got it all over the quilt/bedspread. Those markers aren't all that washable.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:22 pm

My wife recently gave my oldest a marker with which to draw/color. A black Sharpie, as it turns out. It bled through the paper. Now I get to add "resurface my kitchen table" to my list of summer projects. >sigh<

Cerberusrex25
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cerberusrex25 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:21 am

Oh, the damage was minimal because I caught her earlier trying to touch ALL the things. Sadly she also managed to make me a wee bit sick, got the same fever an cough and no work was done today. I love her and all my other nieces and nephews, I have taken care of every single one of those Petri dishes as they cultivate their own germ warfare and test it on me, guess that is what I get for being the Cool Uncle.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:26 am

Cerberusrex25 wrote:Oh, the damage was minimal because I caught her earlier trying to touch ALL the things. Sadly she also managed to make me a wee bit sick, got the same fever an cough and no work was done today. I love her and all my other nieces and nephews, I have taken care of every single one of those Petri dishes as they cultivate their own germ warfare and test it on me, guess that is what I get for being the Cool Uncle.
Hmmm, sounds that she might be working with Nurgle... I would watch her... closely if I were you.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Cerberusrex25
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cerberusrex25 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:00 pm

I have to agree with you Kovlosky, she really has a strong allegiance to the Plague God. This cough is rough, I could do away with the fever too. Today was bad but I soldiered on and finished the red and gold on that arm, also started on the details. I just love the way Genestealer Purple dry brushes on a black base.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:43 pm

ALL young ones work for nurgle! don't you guys know that?! :P

(I work in a pre-school, you can imagine how often I get sick)

Anyway lol really love those details, red and gold look surprisingly nice together!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Cerberusrex25
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cerberusrex25 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:17 pm

They do, this thing is really kicking my butt. Yesterday I tried to paint but the coughing was too bad to hold a steady brush, today was a bit better though so there was a small progress. Today's task, whilst not yielding a lot of progress,was not small feat. The beast finally gets his fangs.

I don't see myself finishing this guy by tomorrow but, I have made a lot of progress on him and it has shown me I have gotten quite faster and better at this.

Cerberusrex25
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cerberusrex25 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:47 pm

Yeah, the purple tentacles it's my favorite detail too guys. I'm really happy with my choice of purple and approach to it, much to the GW store employee's chagrin, the results are exactly what I wanted.

So, another week comes to an end and despite of life getting in the way, I say I achieved my goal. Whilst I did not complete the mini, I have to say that I feel I performed well under the circumstances; I completed at least 80% of what I wanted to do, proved I can work fast and efficiently all while honing my technique further. Without further ado, here is the final looks for this week, tonight I just finished all the bone and gave it a bit of a wash with Agrax Earthshade.

I gotta say guys, I'm loving this challenge, it really pushes your limits and creativity. I think I found my place, you guys are awesome and have an amazing community.