Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

Post by Munin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm making progress on my next bike. This one is pretty much done except for the weathering/mud on the tires:
I'm happy with the way the pin-striping came out. Getting that stuff smooth and even took lots of care and patience.

I am almost done with the rider, he should be finished some time this evening I hope (if all goes well).

I'm also working on another Aetherium mini. This one is a member of the "Picketer" unit, also from the Nanomei faction like the Riot Girls I did last year:
It's a little hard to tell, but I gave him one of those "skull mask" balaclavas. I like the way it turned out - it's subtle but it's kind of a neat effect.

Once again I've tried to make the denim have realistic-looking wear and tear. I need to finish a couple of details on this guy, like the buckles on his back-packs and whatnot, as well as his base. Then his sign, but given that he's a raving anarchist, his poster will be a NSFW internet dick-joke.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:20 am

Biker complete!

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:24 am

looks good, like the tattoo.

Your denim looks great. I cannot do that. just can't make jeans look right.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:37 am

Really nice work on this biker! I'm a little disappointed, though. I hoped for a brighter, flashier yellow on the bike. Your bikers do look awesome nonetheless and will surely wreak havoc while looking beautifully on the table! ;)

I completly side with Nappen concerning the denim look. I also like the skull mask thingy. It's a very nice touch!
Nappen wrote:Your denim looks great. I cannot do that. just can't make jeans look right.
An easy way to try is basecoating in "Russ grey" and then thinly applying a blue wash. Afterwars clean up with thin layers of "Russ grey" where you think it's needed and perhaps highlight or drybrush with "Fenrisian grey" where you think the jeans should look worn the most.

That's at least how I've done denim until now. How exactly did you, Munin?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:57 am

Yeah, I wanted a brighter yellow as well, but it was hard to achieve the effect without making it look too orange for my tastes. I find yellow to be an extremely difficult color with which to work, much harder even than white. Yellow is somewhat like red in that it's difficult to highlight well - you can't get more yellow than yellow. As such, in order to get good color variation, you have to dip into the orange spectrum the same way with red you often need to dip into brown. I chose to lighten/whiten the color slightly, which ended up giving the whole thing a sort of buttery color, which was not exactly what I was going for. Still, it was a learning process, and next time I do yellow I'll approach it differently (I'll probably use successive layers of yellow washes instead).

For the denim, I use crappy craft paints in a couple different shades of blue - a dark navy for the base-coat, followed by a heavy drybrush of slate blue for the texture, and a lighter layer of a mixture of slate and white to make certain areas (the knees and backs of the thighs) look faded. I then go in with thinned own white paint and a very tiny brush and lightly draw very narrow horizontal lines to get the "frayed" effect for holes and worn spots at the heel.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:26 am

General-Kroll wrote:What's his placard going to say?
Don't say I didn't warn you...
[+] Expand
Why, it's Dick Butt, of course!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm not dead! I've just been busy with a bunch of other stuff. I did have time to paint a little bit this month, though. One of the other fora I follow has a monthly painting thing, and I managed to get in this month's entry. The technical challenge was to paint a mini that was mostly black, and I had nothing in my Infinity or Aetherium stuff that really fit the bill. So I painted a Space Marine.

The contest also has several bonus achievements, and this month I got "Speed Painting" for doing this guy in less than 24 hours. I almost didn't make it, actually; this was the first GW miniature I'd painted in a long time and I had forgotten just how much extraneous fiddly detail there is on them. So many skulls and wires and crap. It was kind of a pain in the butt, to be honest. But a buddy of mine plays Black Templars, so now he has one more!

I've finished prepping the bases of a squad of Afrika Korps (28mm, by the Perry Bros), so those are probably my next project. They too are pretty fiddly, so we'll see how many new curse words my kids learn over the next few weeks.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:06 pm

So November's theme was painting skulls and or "Day of the Dead." I had another picketer for Aetherium that I thought would be perfect. This one just screams attitude: "Live Free or Die" sign? Check. Cultural appropriation via Day of the Dead get-up? Check. Yoga pants? Check. Pink Chucks? Check. Proletariat-approved red bandana worn babushka style? Check. Fashionable leather purse? Check. Authentic "Holla at my Peeps" tank-top? Check. All right, let's get ready for some protesting, bitches!!!

This mini was very challenging, and really made me pay attention to fine brush-work skills. It's a little hard to see, but I've picked out the individual bones in her hands. The face is a little messier than I'd like, but 32mm true-scale is pretty freaking tiny! I was very happy with how the "Holla at my Peeps" shirt came out, though.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:53 pm

it all came out freakin fantastic Munin! Love her! that's really impressive work
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)