Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanks!

After getting so burned out on 40K I was a little hesitant to get into another miniatures game, but I've got to say that the more true-scale proportions and incredible detail of the Corvus Belli (and Anvil 8 ) sculpts have really forced me to step up my game in terms of painting. The minis are so good that I wanted to do them justice (especially when you see what pros like Angel Giraldez can do with them!), so I've really been doing stuff that's outside my comfort zone. Given that I was doing a lot of Necrons, I was always (by necessity) pretty decent at basic washes and edge highlighting, and had started using filters in very limited applications. But now I'm thinning my paints a lot more, using a lot more glazes. And dry pigments - I actually feel like realistic weathering of vehicles is something that's doable now. I've started experimenting with oil-based washes and taken my first baby steps into techniques like NMM.

Had I painted that bike a year ago, all of the engine bits would simply have been a drybrush of Boltgun Metal, maybe lightly edge-highlighted with some Mithril Silver. Now there's not a single metallic paint on that mini, but it can still convey the impression of steel and chrome, which I think is neat. And who knows, the effect might have been cooler with actual metallic paints, but I wanted to at least try doing it a new way.

That's where this site has been an amazing resource. There are so many good painters here that it's a great way to see what techniques people are using and what effects they're achieving. SO many good painters. Easy example: after seeing the effects that Nappen achieved with his Tau vehicles using chipping fluid, I'm dying to give that technique a try. I'd attempted salt-crusting before, but wasn't entirely happy with the results, so this might be a new way to get the same kind of effect.

And while Kris' painting tutorials are freaking amazing, his best advice isn't necessarily the technique in the tutorial itself, it's the thing he usually says at the end:

"It's as easy as that. DO NOT be afraid to give it a try."

I feel like that advice alone has improved the quality of my work tremendously.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:59 pm

Sorry about the BPV and missing the trip. Good news is that is isn't something else.

One day we need to all get a group to gen con or las vegas open or something. There are things all over.

As for your painting, it has come a long way. I am sure I could not do that bike...but I have to resist the urge...no more games...no more games...

Anyway, the bike and biker look great.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:23 am

All done but the last few minor touch-ups (which photographs always bring out) and the base (the sand on which is drying as I type). I might add some dust weathering to his boots and shin-guards, but we'll see how I feel about it once it's based.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:51 am

Wow Munin that is gorgeous you should be very proud of him!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Heartfelt thanks to everyone who has expressed concerns about my crazy health situation. I'm pretty much back to 100% now, although I do still get the occasional "swaying" sort of feeling you sometimes get for those first couple days after you come off a week on a cruise ship. Not enough to make me feel woozy or lose my balance, but occasionally noticeable. But every day those get fewer and fewer.

@General-Kroll - the flame effect is the result of 7 layers of paint of increasingly lighter color, thinned down to a very light glaze consistency using about 1 part paint, 1 part Liquitex matte medium, and 2 parts water (with more medium/water depending on how thick the original paint is - my light orange already had a pretty watery consistency and required less alteration). When thinned down that much (in both opacity and consistency), the paints are more translucent, letting more of the color(s) underneath show through. It leads to much smoother color transitions. It also helps keep the surface smooth, as paints with a thick consistency will "glob" on.

It's why Kris mixes pretty much everything with Lahmian Medium.

And yeah, I have come to really like the Infinity sculpts, especially the newer ones. The game does have a strong sort of anime aesthetic, and some of the earlier female miniatures especially were super-cheesecake. But Corvus Belli has responded to peoples' complaints about it, and while there are a few continued examples of it (the most recent TAG Pilot releases), for the most part the female sculpts are just as military (meaning their poses are "practical and tactical") as the men, which is neat. The latest Wu Ming Assault Corps mini is a female trooper in heavy armor and sporting a Heavy Rocket Launcher. Her pose is really neat and dynamic, it looks like she's about to seriously mess someone up. The new Fraacta drop trooper looks like she's just a death-dealing bad-butt.

I spent too much money picking up Infinity stuff at GenCon, but got to a point where I felt like I was done buying for a while. I had all of the stuff I felt like I needed and most of the stuff I felt like I wanted. Then late last week they released concept art and pictures of the digital masters of a bunch of new minis slated for release this month, and I was all, "Oooooh, I want that, and that...and that!" A friend of mine was in exactly the same boat.

I joked to him that it's like Corvus Belli has found a way to reach through my eyes and directly into my wallet.

Plus the game-play is just so freaking cool. The smaller scale (a "big" force is like 20 guys, and I typically run about a 14 or 15-order list) and the "face-to-face" mechanics mean that the game feels extremely tactical, and the fact that you get "Automatic Reaction Orders" (AROs) during your opponent's turn means you're constantly engaged. Yes, your opponent can kill your guys in YOUR turn, which poses some really interesting tactical challenges. So it's definitely NOT like when your buddy who plays Orks and has brought 3 or 4 mobs of 30 Boyz each starts his Movement phase and you can safely go out and get lunch before he's ready to start his Shooting phase.

We're in the midst of a home-brewed Infinity campaign (with very strong narrative elements) right now, and we're having a ton of fun with it.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:12 am

Munin it seems like your painting has progressed a lot while painting your biker! Your painting really gained a lot by trying new tricks and getting out of your comfort zone! The flames do look great and so do the flesh parts (especially the face) of your rider! On the other hand, the guards on his shin do look quite flat, which stands out a lot, because of the depth of the torso of the biker.
I also think a little bit of dust on the lower parts of the bike would look good, because of the strong weathering on the frontwheel, but it might mess up the nicely looking flames. Personally, I'd risk it, though!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:33 pm

There actually is a subtle edge highlight at the top of each ridge of the shin guards. It doesn't photograph very well, though. :( But I'm starting to wonder if I should make it a little more extreme. I use a much more drastic color difference for the edge highlighting of the thigh-plates on his pants and I really like the way it turned out. The increased contrast makes it pop more from table-top distance.

In terms of weathering him/the lower parts of the bike, I definitely want to add dirt/dust to his boots and shin guards. The bike I have a little more trepidation about, because I think it might muddle the highlight of the piece (the NMM chrome and flames) too much. I think what I'll do is mount him to his base and coat him, then apply weathering using dry pigments. Then, if I don't like the effect I can just wash it off.

I finished his base tonight, I just need to attach him and apply the facing markings and he'll be ready for sealing.

On the plus side, when I showed him to my gaming buddies, they all agreed that the pictures don't do him justice, especially in the color gradient of the flames. To me all that means is that I still need to get better at lighting/photographing my stuff. :oops:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:32 pm

Aaargh. So I'm working on this guy's counterpart and the theme for the painting challenge I'm working on this month is the color yellow. What a pain in my buttocks. I'd finished all of the NMM stuff on the engine, rims, intake cowling, and exhaust pipes and was working on the body of the bike. But I just couldn't get a smooth enough coat of yellow. Worse, in hoping to get good coverage, I didn't thin the paint as much as I should have, and it started to show brush-strokes, which makes me insane.

So now the whole thing is soaking in SuperClean and I'm starting over. This time I'll lay down the yellow first in several coats with an airbrush, then try to be super careful with the black and NMM detailing. This has "recipe for disaster" written all over it, but we'll see. I foresee many many touch-ups in my future.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:29 pm

OK, base coat done. Now I just have to (re)do the NMM without messing up the yellow too badly.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:41 pm

That bike is crazy! Sorry about you health problems, Nurgle has been working his way through our house too.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:47 am

Unfortunatly you've set a very high standart with your previous bike... so you have quite a challenge to meet! I'll carefully watch the progress of your bike! :wink:
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard