Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm

I really love your weathered german armored car! It looks perfect. The desert Oasis is also spot on. I agree with you in it being a bit too dark, but it's really minor.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:05 am

I am still alive! But it has been a narrow thing. Here begins my tale of woe:

Two weekends ago I went to GenCon. I had a blast, got to play some great games, eat some fantastic food, and hang out with friends I haven't seen in a long time. I spent way too much money buying Infinity stuff, but came home pumped and relatively well-rested, and (thankfully) seemed to have dodged the infamous "ConCrud."

I was supposed to have just a day-and-a-half home before the entire family flew out to Israel for two weeks, a trip I was really looking forward to. But a bunch of work stuff had gone completely to crap in the interim and I was really sweating having everything in a good place to hand off before I left for a long vacation, especially with an early-September delivery deadline looming. Even working an extra-long Monday, I wasn't finished.

Enter the great Delta Airlines computer crash, which occurred that same Monday before we were supposed to leave. Utter chaos. Delta cancelled something like 60% of their flights that day, which meant huge back-ups. We got to the airport Tuesday morning and checked in, everything was good, our flight was showing on-time. Great. But here's how screwed up things were still - the flight that left from the same gate before ours had people waiting on standby who were turned away - yet the flight left with four empty seats, all because their computer system was still so borked that they couldn't properly clear out reservations and pull people off the standby list. Gate agents were back to using the data entry commands from the previous booking system, and it looked very much like the new system and old system were overwriting each other's changes.

So my wife (bless her heart) says, "why don't you volunteer for a bump, take a couple of days to finish up what you need to do at work, and meet us in Tel Aviv in two days?" She had correctly sussed out that it would be hard for me to relax with all that crap looming over me. So cool, I give up my seat (as it turns out to a very nice Indian gentleman who had been trying to get home to India and had been stuck in our airport for the last 36 hours). I blasted straight from the airport back into work, fiendishly slaved away all day Tuesday and Wednesday, overcame a super-annoying architecture issue, slew a session-crashing bug, and documented the crap out of everything I had done such that my trusty lieutenant (who is worth her weight in gold) could pick up and finish the integration work. Awesome!

And hell, I wasn't flying out until the next day noonish, so I made the most of the opportunity to get together with some friends to play another game in our Infinity campaign Wednesday night, narrowly squeaking out a super-close victory against my JSA opponent (on my next-to-last order of the game, no less!). Godsdamn, I was on a roll!

Now my buddy's gaming space isn't air-conditioned and it was super hot that evening. Additionally, I had worked until the last possible second and hadn't really taken the time to eat before meeting for gaming. And everyone else had already eaten, so whatever, I went without. By the time I got home around midnight, I felt a little woozy/queasy, but chalked it up to mild dehydration and/or low blood sugar. I'm not hypoglycemic, but not eating for long periods of time definitely makes me feel a little off. But whatever, I chugged a bunch of water, had a couple of granola bars, and went to bed.

Fast forward to about 3:15 in the morning. I wake up and the room is spinning. Like uncontrollably spinning. I sit up in bed and fall back down. I manage to pull on a pair of shorts and stagger from my bed the 5 feet to the door, where I again fall down. Thank our lucky stars, we have a house-mate who rents our spare room and she happened to be home. I called her for help, because at this point I couldn't stand. And I needed a bucket. Badly. Because it felt like everything I've ever eaten in the last 37 years was about to come up the hard way. "I think I need you to take me to the hospital." Understatement.

But within moments I could barely stay up on my hands-and-knees, my hands and fingers were tingling madly, and I was down to vomiting up blood - that was a new one for me. I thought for sure I was having some kind of stroke, to the point that I asked my housemate if I was slurring my words at all. And then I thought to myself (and said), "F*$% it, I have good insurance. Call me an ambulance."

Several EMTs, an ambulance ride, a couple of nurses, some doctors, and a WHOLE lot of vomiting later, it turns out that I had been hit with a condition called "Benign Positional Vertigo." It's a disruption of the fluid and/or sinker in the chamber of the inner ear that helps your brain establish which direction is "down," only in my case that little sinker was lodged right on one of the lateral nerves, producing an intense, unstoppable spinning sensation. And I'm here to tell you, if this was the "benign" version of the disorder, I shudder to think what the aggressive form feels like. Medical science is amazing, but not fool-proof - they have no real idea what causes the disorder and there's no real cure; it usually just clears up on its own in two or three days. There's this maneuver they can do where they sit you upright, turn your head, and then slam you back down on your back that works about 25% of the time. The rest of the time it produces more violent nausea and vomiting. Guess which percentage I fell into. :-/

So they dope me out of my mind, get me to where I can at least stand up without puking, and send me home. To be fair, they asked me if I wanted to be admitted, but I figured miserable at home was better than miserable in the hospital. But by this point I'd missed my flight to Israel. Again. My wife (who remember is already there) reschedules for a few days later, but by that point I'm still woozy as hell, have no appetite, and can't turn my head rapidly without needing to brace myself against something.

And then just as the nausea and instability is starting to subside (and I totally blame this on being in a hospital, which even at the best of times is a wretched hive of scum and viruses), I get a wicked head cold. Yeah, no, just cancel the flight. I'm gonna go crawl in a hole for a while.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:18 am

But there is one small upside to all of this - the hole into which I crawled has has been my Man-Cave! Now that the world isn't spinning so badly anymore, I decided to paint some stuff. Given that I bought an absurd amount of Infinity stuff an GenCon, I figured I needed to start working through my backlog. I started with one of my Kum Motorized Troopers:

Today I did just his skin and tattoos, and base coated his jacket and fatigue pants:
I think next time I do tattoos I'll mix in just a bit of flesh-tone, which will give them a more aged, faded look. These look a little fresh, but from table-top distance they actually pop pretty nicely, so I'm no too disappointed in the overall effect.

It's a little hard to see, with this lighting, but I was really happy with the way the grayish stubble "5-o'clock shadow" on his scalp and jaw-line turned out:

Front view, showing his face a little better:

I also base-coasted his bike. This one is going to be a challenge for me, because I'm going to try to do a lot of nice, smooth NMM effects on it, especially on the engine cowls and wheel innards. This is what he'll look like mounted:
Last edited by Munin on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:04 am

First off daaaang hon that sucks :( :( especially missing the trip and just generally being sick suckzorz =/

Hope you're doing much better now! take it easy for sure

Second, you went to GenCon??? arrrgh jealous! well, maybe not, at least my pocket book is doing ok now lol

anyway, not sure your link is working quite right, maybe just my computer. I could open it in another tab after copying the link. So, yeah he looks awesome! did you do the tattoo freehand? it looks really good!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Aaaargh, godsdamned Google Photos finally closed the Picasaweb loophole, so I can't freaking hot-link directly to photos anymore. Which totally blows. What good is an image hosting site if you can't, you know, host images?

I'll see if there's a work-around, because I really hate photobucket and imgur.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:26 pm

And yes, all the tattoos are free-hand.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:39 pm

Did that work? Can anyone else see them? I can see them now, but it could be because I'm already logged into my Google+ account on this machine.

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:10 pm

That worked!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Huzzah! \o/

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:57 pm

A couple of updates: the bike is coming along nicely...

So far, I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out. The NMM effects are hard to make look right, and I still don't think I'm getting smooth enough fades, but overall I think I'm making progress. It's certainly getting easier to do. And if I used my airbrush rather than trying to do it with a brush, it would probably me much smoother. The problem is that I don't have a nozzle that's fine enough to really do some of the tight-in detail work, and I suspect that masking something this complicated in preparation for airbrushing the metal versus the black would be pretty time consuming.

But the hardest part of the bike is yet to come, and that's the flames! The painting contest for which I'm going this bike has as part of this month's category to paint fire/flames. The studio version of this mini is a fantastic example of flames, which is why I chose this mini - I'd have something to go by for reference, because this is going to be a new thing for me. I already know that it's going to to significant time, patience, and really thin layers to get the effect I want.

The studio version has red-orange flames and I thought about mixing it up and going with blue-white flames, but the color composition I've chosen for the bases for this force would really clash with blue, I think. My force is heavily earth-toned, and blues only get used in the context of stuff that's supposed to look metallic.

Anyway, the process of painting on the flames starts tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:12 am

Good luck!! it's looking awesome!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 am

Huzzah, let there be FLAMES!!!!

This turned out WAY better than I hoped. All told it was...6 different layers I think? There is a very light, almost white highlight to re-establish a couple of edges in the brightest flame area, but my lighting makes them hard to see.

Now I just need to finish the biker himself.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:04 pm

First, I want to say that I'm totally with you about your really bad experience. I'm relieved that it wasn't life threathening and that you will get better soon.

Second, I'm a huge fan of your bike! I absolutely love how you painted it. Both the "main colour" of the frame, the use of highlights and the flames are absolutely fantastic. It's one of your best miniature yet and you've done many extremely impressive ones before, so this want is trully glorious. Congratulations!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG