Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

Post by Munin » Fri May 13, 2016 11:36 pm

OK, my first squad of American GIs is finished with the base-coat stage:
Next comes the shade wash, followed by highlighting and basing. Still plenty of time to finish, right? Right?

This is the aforementioned SdKfz 222, with a dude for size comparison:
Because I'm an idiot and put the guy in the forground, the car looks a little small. Rest assured, the size is appropriate.

And speaking of size comparisons, here's one for Lord McAllister, to show how these minis compare with something more folks around here are familiar with in terms of size:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue May 17, 2016 10:20 pm

OK, shade wash, steel, and details complete!

Because I'd never tried it before, I used an oil-based wash. A lot of people rave about Army Painter Strong Tone. I'd also heard that it's almost identical to Minwax Antique Walnut Gloss, which is $7 per can as opposed to $25 per can. So I went to Home Depot and grabbed some and sure enough, it looks and acts pretty much exactly the same. I didn't use the "dip" method (I'm given to understand it makes a godawful mess), but just brushed it on. That also allowed me to control the depth of the shading. There were a few places where I got a little too heavy-handed and the wash pooled a touch more than I'd like, but for a first outing I'm gonna call it a success! I definitely like the worn and dirty look it gives the uniforms.

It comes out SUPER shiny, though (because it's gloss). These have been hit with a layer of Testors Dullcoat, but there are still a few shiny spots. The final sealing step will take care of that.

Now all that's left are the bases, and I still have yet to decide how I'm going to do those.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue May 17, 2016 10:45 pm

These are looking great! I'm a big fan of the Army Painter washes, I've also got a can of Minwax around here somewhere...

I haven't started painting yet, but I haven't stopped assembling either! I'm almost completely done with a US Starter from Bolt Action, I also built a Panzer IV and a Grenadier Squad. I'm hoping to finish the last few GI's and put some base coats on tonight.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed May 18, 2016 3:00 am

Thank you for the size comparison photo! The Soldiers are much bigger than I expected.
Great paintjob by the way! The minis look much nicer now than on my first impression.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed May 18, 2016 2:16 pm

Yeah, because these ones are metal, there wasn't really any assembly besides basing them. The Afrika Korps is going to be tougher in that regard because they're plastic. I did need to clean and strip them though, because they were sort-of primed when I first got them. But no flash or mold lines had been trimmed, so I basically needed to start from scratch.

To Lord McAllister's point, I was impressed by some of the details on these minis. Individual buttons and snaps are clearly visible in good detail, as are some of the action mechanics on the rifles. That kind of stuff is hard to see in a mini that is just primed or base-coated, but washing really brings out those details. I think the brand is Crusader, but I got them second-hand so I'm not sure about that. My only complain is that they've got a little bit of scale creep and are more towards the "heroic" proportions than realistic ones. After working on Infinity minis for a while now, these guys seem positively chunky!

Oooh, and speaking of Infinity, my copy of Human Sphere N3 arrived yesterday! The new Druze Hacker mini is freaking gorgeous! Super detailed and super cool. Too bad I can't use her in a vanilla Haqqislam list. :(

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri May 20, 2016 3:26 am

Munin wrote:Oooh, and speaking of Infinity, my copy of Human Sphere N3 arrived yesterday!
I have a question about that! Is the Human Sphere N3 a new rulebook or is it an addition to the standart rulebook? What do you need the N3 for? Is it actually needed? Thanks in advance! :D
Painted in 2018:
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat May 21, 2016 12:53 am

Human Sphere N3 is the game expansion that is compatible with the 3rd edition of the game (hence, N3). It includes all of the rules for sectorial armies, link teams, EVO hacking devices, and a bunch of new equipment. Basically, they've taken all of the stuff that was in the old N2 version of Human Sphere, cleaned everything up to make it more compatible, and added a whole bunch of cool new stuff. As a minor example, they changed the name of the "Marker" (the indirect fire weapon that launches repeaters) to "Pitcher," because the term marker has a very specific meaning within the N3 rules (i.e. something represented as a token rather than as a mini). This kind of cleanup may seem trivial, but the consistency just makes things much more clear and intuitive.

I think one of the most interesting changes are the duo-links, which can be taken in vanilla (i.e. non-sectorial) army lists. This rule predominantly applies to expensive medium and heavy infantry (and in the case of the Nomads, Gecko TAGs!!!). It is a minor boost to order efficiency that helps balance out forces that have a small number of high-value models (which tended to be a little too starved for orders in ITS missions). And the new EVO and Killer hacking devices are freaking sweet!

As always with Infinity, the rules are free. You can download them from CB's website. Also, all of the changes from the N3 version of Human Sphere have already been incorporated into Infinity Army, the web (and now app!) based list building tool.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat May 21, 2016 11:47 pm

Finished all of the basing. Stick a fork in 'em, they're done!

I've already got a bunch more assembled and ready for texturing on the bases. The Chain of Command bug has bitten me pretty hard!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon May 23, 2016 10:49 am

Wow, I'm really impressed how fast you hammered out a whole squad in such a high quality!
Painted in 2018:

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon May 23, 2016 10:53 am

Yup they look great!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Mon May 23, 2016 2:56 pm

I think they went quickly because unlike my normal way of doing things, there is a grand total of one (1) mixed color on them. Everything else is base tones w/ simple shading or highlighting (or in some cases both) applied.

I contrast this with my Infinity minis, where I'm mixing paints for highlights/blends like some sort of mad alchemist. Or my Necron vehicles, where I edge-line basically everything.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon May 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Sorry Munin, I just noticed your reply on the "N3"-Topic! Thanks for the explanation and clearification! It really did confuse me! I'll really have to dig much more into these things than I already have.
Painted in 2018:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Not much to report, but I did apply MinWax to my second squad of American GIs last night. I tried the "dip" method on one of them, purely by accident. That'll teach me to hold the mini over the can of stain while I'm painting. Lose my grip on him for just a second and the next thing I know, "BLOOP!" In he went. Fishing him out of there sucked, and I had one hand that was annoyingly tacky for the rest of the evening (oil-based stains are notoriously difficult to fully get off skin). I should have used chop-sticks - note to self for future reference.

I also started working on some more Infinity minis, a Barid Hacker and a Fiday. Last night I did their visors and the deep, sort of olive green base coat for their skin-suits (same color as the GIs' helmets, as it turns out). I'll try to post some pics tonight after I've gotten the first couple of highlight layers on there. I'm really looking forward to getting the Hassassin Fiday done, because impersonation is such a fiendishly dirty trick in Infinity.

Dez

Post by Dez » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:42 pm

How do you like the dip? I've seen that method used, but I think it would be something I'd do very seldom.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:51 pm

I'm sorry but you're going for a dip wrong! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry was too funny :) but glad it turned out pretty ok anyway
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)