Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

Post by Munin » Tue May 03, 2016 12:58 am

Hey there, fellow MWG denizens! It's been a while, but I am getting back into the swing of things.

In the time since last I posted, I have actually been playing miniatures games! Shocking, I know. And now that I am freed from the shackles of GW, I've been introduced to all sorts of genuinely good games! I continue to plug away at my Infinity Haqqislam forces, and am gearing up to try to go to another tournament at the end of the month. That's going to mean painting a bunch of stuff, so we'll see how that goes.

In addition, I was recently introduced to "Chain of Command," a platoon-level WW2 historical game. I resisted the bottomless rabbit-hole that is the historical wargaming scene for a long time (limiting myself to 15mm American Civil War minis now and again), but as a ruleset Chain of Command is just so freaking amazing that I could no longer resist the siren-song. As such, I've found myself suddenly in possession of some American GIs and some Deutsche Afrika Korps minis.

These GIs are one of my next projects, looking to bust out a squad this month. This particular group were rescues - the bottom three show the state when I got them, the top 10 after an overnight bath in Super Clean. Good criminy but that stuff is effective at stripping paint and primer!

I'm also finishing up an ACW Iron Brigade regiment, which will probably be my pledge for this week (trying to get back into the swing of regular painting, so pledges, oaths, and contests are hopefully going to keep me on track). Hopefully I'll have photos of them soon.

It's good to be back!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Munin's #theweeklypaint 2016

Post by Guildenstern » Tue May 03, 2016 7:24 pm

welcome back! :D

I also have noticed if I start playing games I don't spend as much time doing miniatures - strange how that works lol
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed May 04, 2016 1:18 am

Got a little bit done on my 15mm ACW Iron Brigade. They've been inked and the initial blacking on their guns and hats is complete. The only really fiddly bit now is the bands/tassels on their Hardee hats, which are light blue (indicative of infantry). Then metallic on the gun barrels and buckles, followed by basing. I hope to finish them tomorrow.

Also got a little more done on my 28mm American GIs for Chain of Command. This is the full squad of 12 now that they're cleaned and based:

For bases I've used 7/8" steel fender washers for the basic troops. Not only does the heavy steel base help keep the minis from tipping over on the table, it also lets me store them in magnetized trays for transport, which is handy (and which I also do with my 15mm stuff). In order to blend the transition between the top of the fender washer and the base of the actual mini itself, I've used Liquitex Acrylic Modeling Paste to build up the base (seen here on the front two). Once that's dry, I hit it with watered down PVA and fine-grain play sand for texture.

Because the location of squad leaders is very important in Chain of Command, I've taken the Lardies' suggestion and based the corporal on a slightly larger 1" fender washer such that it's immediately visually obvious where the squad leader is. This top-down shot shows it a little better:

These are now pretty much ready for priming.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu May 05, 2016 12:11 am

neat idea for basing them! I've always used washers under plastic bases, where I could anyway to help add weight. Skipping to just the washer ain't a half bad idea!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Thu May 05, 2016 1:27 am

A lot of guys who do 15mm or 20mm scale use pennies. They're cheaper than washers, but you lose the magnetic storage/transport capability.

In other news, I finished painting my Iron Brigade. Now I just need to base and seal them.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Fri May 06, 2016 11:36 pm

Behold, tiny Yankees!
I think with these 4 stands complete, I now have something like 11 or 12 stands of Iron Brigade. Being from Michigan and digging the look of the Hardee hats, these guys were a no-brainer for me to pick up. I think I'm actually out of Union minis to paint at this point, not sure how that happened. But I've got a whole other bag of Confederates to get to. Sooner or later I should pick up some cavalry (both mounted and dismounted), as well as some casualties.

I also made progress on my Deathmatch with Dez; Now everything is based and primed, and I did the base-coating on the boots, gaiters, and pants of my WW2 American GI squad.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sat May 07, 2016 1:20 am

Behold, Damn Yankees!

I still have 2 more models to build.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Sat May 07, 2016 8:22 am

Hahahahahaha!

Man, Ted Nugent looks like such a dweeb in that photo.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Tue May 10, 2016 11:43 pm

Progress! slowly but incrementally, I'm getting there on my Deathmatch entry. This is the base-coating complete for the boots, gaiters, pants, skin, scarves, and jackets.

Next is web-gear, guns, and helmets. Then they all get the wash and finally the highlighting. I've got to say, these guys are pretty fun to paint. I'm making progress on them more quickly than I thought, which gives me hope that I might actually be able to finish a whole platoon some time before I turn 947.

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed May 11, 2016 12:22 am

Hehe, I haven't even finished building mine, great work! I did stop at a squad of 10 though, and saw you went to 12...Olive Drab Primer and Chipping Fluid coming via Amazon tomorrow though!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Wed May 11, 2016 12:39 pm

Yeah, I looked again and saw that for Chain of Command the squad size was 12, including the NCO. The order-of-battle list I'm drawing from is late-war US Infantry in Europe. But no worries if you're just doing 10, it's all good.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu May 12, 2016 8:05 am

Could you put a Space Marine or something similar next to those Soldiers for a size reference? I got absolutly now idea what size those minis might have! :D Looking forward to the finished squad!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Thu May 12, 2016 10:10 am

They're 28mm, just like (older) 40K stuff. They're about the same size as my old IG Tallarns. I'll try to remember to take a size comparison photo tonight.

Dez

Post by Dez » Thu May 12, 2016 10:13 am

Finished building the squad to 12 and a Sherman :)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Munin » Thu May 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Heh, I had a few minutes that was not really enough time to start painting but plenty of time to clean and assemble an SdKfz 222. :)