Dheiti's weekly paint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Dheiti's weekly paint

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:18 pm

awesome! looks like some fun models to paint =D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:37 pm

Oddly enough, despite the naysaying about drybrushing white, I actually have had general success with it. I like the 'dirty white' look it gives to my models, instead of a pristine, clean white.

The only time I'm not fond of it is on large, flat surfaces, such as on tanks and Land Raiders. I'm quite pleased with the results on infantry, however.

You can see some examples in my own weekly painting thread.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=117398

I use a white prime, then ink/wash the parts that are to be white with a black ink. From there, I do a fairly heavy drybrush of administratum grey, followed by white.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Viking 21 wrote:Kinda think it's mostly personal preference, is what I think really. I just personally don't like the look of that gritty white. I just like the clean smooth whites. If I want something to look dirty I like the off whites and browns and bleached bone type colours to show that style of look. Not saying it's right or wrong it's just my personal style and take on stuff. Just making a suggestion of something different to try to see if he would like the look and appearance of it better for own personal taste. Lol their your models Paint them to your style and however you like. But just trying to help out to learn different technique. Hope no one took it as a derogatory comment of anyone's work on my part.
I certainly didn't think negatively of you. I just saw all the opinions that drybrushing white isn't very good, so I thought "COUNTERPOINT! Drybrushing good." In the same vein, to offer my own opinion on the matter.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch