Koonitz Weekly Paint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Koonitz Weekly Paint 2016

Post by Koonitz » Sun May 01, 2016 6:56 pm

The Vindicator, "Rumble", has been completed.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon May 02, 2016 8:02 am

Man I love that point job.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon May 02, 2016 8:54 am

How'd you get the scribbles/writing so small? Artificer brush, or something else?
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon May 02, 2016 9:10 am

Arnathos wrote:How'd you get the scribbles/writing so small? Artificer brush, or something else?
I'd like to know that as well!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon May 02, 2016 9:16 am

My bet is it's a decal.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon May 02, 2016 6:25 pm

That is a sharp looking Vindicator!
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon May 02, 2016 6:30 pm

I really love your work Koonitz. The line separating the white and blue areas is so sharp and straight. It's impressive! The highlights are great too. I have to join with others by telling you that this script is really top notch.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon May 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your compliments. I'm pleased with how it came out, as well. As for the script, other than the three letters (G, E, C respectively), it's scribbles, really. I used a secret I stole shamelessly from someone else. An extra fine artist's pen. The exact brand you can see pictured below, with a closer look at the script on the dozer blade.

My biggest regret is that I can't find one that comes in white (to do the blue side), which means I have to continue to use an extra fine brush. This causes the paint to dry out really quickly on the brush, forcing me to reapply on a regular basis. My script work tends to more often be on the white side (or be more fancy on the white side), because of it.
[+] Expand
The script stands for "Gloria in Excelsis Celestia" which roughly translates to "Glory to the High Heavens" or "Glory to the Exalted Realm", the latter of which my Chapter uses as their battle cry.

I really need to work on my cursive writing skills, though....

For the lines, I use Painters Mate tape, which should be readily available at any hardware store. There's a little bleed here and there, but otherwise, it makes crisp lines and is easy to use on vehicles and larger models. I have to free-hand the smaller stuff like infantry, but the mistakes blend in better with the curves on those.

Edit: Had to come back to this thread. I wasn't expecting so much positive feedback on the Vindicator. Thanks again, everyone.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Thu May 05, 2016 10:30 pm

After finishing the Vindicator, I have had absolutely no motivation to continue to paint, so I have no more new models to share with you. I suspect the reason for that is many-fold, none of which is a lack of interest (though there is a lack of interest in trying to paint more infantry to finish my battle company....). I'm probably also holding my breath for the coming Stormhawk.

However, Kroll asked if I had pictures of my psykers on this WIP thread as he was interested. I thought I'd oblige him. I also totally lied on this forum. I said I had 8 psykers more than once. Seems I was wrong and was thinking that I did when the 8th was actually the missing 5th for my Conclave.
[+] Expand
As the Librarius leads this chapter, these are the overall Chapter commanders.

The rear row is (left to right) Adoratio, the overall commander of the forces Cavalry assets, Solaris and Lunaris, both combined Chapter Masters, Solaris being predominantly strategic and diplomatic, Lunaris predominantly tactical and military. (The thunder hammer is a force thunder hammer, an Iron Hands relic staff with identical stats to a thunder hammer with force)

In the front row, 4 models that were meant to be my Librarius Conclave once I had the 5th Librarian. The only one with an actual name is Crepusculum (the model in purple robes and armour). He was one of my first painted models and my first Chapter HQ. To this day, still one of my favourite models in my army.

I commented that they are themed, which is true. Each and every one is themed after a character from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Armies:

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu May 05, 2016 11:09 pm

I was just wondering today if Bronies still existed :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Fri May 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Ugh... The FLGS is experiencing some financial hiccups and isn't getting any of the new Marine flyer in tomorrow... Guess I'll have to find something else to paint. *looks with trepidation towards his newly paint-stripped third drop pod*
General-Kroll wrote:I love them! Thanks for posting them. The guy in the front row second from the right is a really old second edition sculpt. He's actually one of the first GW blister packs I ever bought! I particularly like the guy with wings on the back row..(Lunaris?)
Wouldn't be surprised if he is the same one. Got him in a tin of old models a friend left me. He got a little worn around the edges because we had to spend WAAAAY too long stripping him (excessive paint, sealant and glue application by previous owner). I'm particularly pleased with how he looks with the missile launcher left arm.

Lunaris is the model with the wings, yes. The jump pack and wings are from the Sanguinor Blood Angels model.
Dez wrote:I was just wondering today if Bronies still existed :)
Yep.
Armies:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri May 06, 2016 11:26 pm

Koonitz wrote:I commented that they are themed, which is true. Each and every one is themed after a character from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.