Koonitz Weekly Paint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Koonitz Weekly Paint 2016

Post by Koonitz » Sun May 29, 2016 10:17 pm

I'm still struggling with a lowered desire to paint. But, despite this, I still got some things done. If I was still painting as energetically as I did before, I'd have gotten many more Dryads done. As it is, I still need to do the bases.

I plan on doing the new 5 bases like the two from previous (darkening the ground) with some added crumbled dried leaves to make it look like a deep wood forest floor.
[+] Expand
Today, I managed to complete this guy, as well, to bolster my Fist of Medusa Strike Force. Another old Techmarine from the grab bag of old models my friend gave me.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon May 30, 2016 12:16 am

very cool love forest bases, don't see them very much

that hydraulic? pincer looks awesome on that marine!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon May 30, 2016 11:28 am

Guildenstern wrote:very cool love forest bases, don't see them very much

that hydraulic? pincer looks awesome on that marine!
The servo-arm was actually the easiest part of the Marine. Did a dark silver, picked out the gold rivets, inked it with PP armor wash (dries gloss, compared to GW's nuln oil, which dries matte), then did a light drybrush of a brighter silver to highlight. All over a white basecoat.

I was so worried it'd be too plain since I left out a few rivets (the ones on the actual clamps of the servo-arm). It's nice to know some people like the look of it.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:19 am

These are coming along nicely, I like the lavender on the Tree Dudes Whose Name Escapes Me Because I Imbibe Heavily On Game Night And Lose Cognitive Functionality The Following Morning.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:44 am

I'm pretty much going to ignore this until I get my "Give a crap" to paint back.
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:00 am

One can always trust in "getting a new model" to get one to paint, again. Took me a bit to get this done, but I got it done. Both sides seem pretty flat (either white or blue), so I'd like to find a way to break it up a bit. Just not sure quite yet what I want to do. The marker on the nose is a Squadron leader marker.

I still need to paint up the under-wing pod weapons, as I'm using the one from one of my Stormtalons right now.

This was also the first model I got to try "Lay 'ardcoat down, then apply transfers, then overlay with Lahmia medium". It works remarkably well for covering up the glossy border of the transfers. However, it can make the one panel stand out over the other panels if you look closely at it.

Also, for the base, I'm not quite sure. I'm terribly tempted to be lazy and glue some cotton to the bottom to make it look like it's flying above clouds. Never seen that done before and I'm curious what people would think of that.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:26 pm

Finally got some progress done on my Dryads. I have a full 16 painted and now I need to work on the bases.

Originally, I was going to take some dried up leaves and crumble them to use them on the base. However, I found that I just couldn't get them small enough to really satisfy me, so I ended up finding some old spices left by a roommate a year back or so. Much finer. Good news is, it's more to what I was originally intending. But it does make it a little harder to notice, I find.
[+] Expand
On the left, crumbled leaves. Notice how they are easier to notice, but they seem far too large in context.

On the right, dried basil. A much more subtle effect, but more in line with what I was going for, which is a deep, rich, old, well nourished forest floor.

I will also be experimenting with some dried oregano. I think they'll be a better middle ground between the two.

Both, of course, could use a little green on them, as well. Though this may be left, as a thick forest may not allow any light low enough for green plants to grow. I'm still leaning towards adding some green, though.

Thoughts?
Armies:

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:48 am

They make a tool for masking tiny leaves from leaves...though I have no link.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:50 pm

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/inici ... nches.html

saw a review, works very well - quite expensive for a punch, but the scale is probably why (you'll not find craft punches that small, the right shape - I've tried. I have a large collection of similiar for scrapbooking)

there is also a site I have somewhere that sells similiar if you're interested, but I believe they sell the leaves, not the punches, would have to look for sure. Good thing about that is they're 'correct' for the appropriate leaves of several trees (you can pick what leaf).

Old spices are a great way to go, they make really good leaf foliage/ground cover etc. And really it's better than throwing them out :)

Also, secret weapon is one of the sellers of birch seeds, pre-dyed tho, so you could get some light green and dark green ones. They look great for leaves! I don't live in an area where I can collect those so I have bought some. They look really good!

Love your dryads, the new models look amazing that GW has coming out. Almost enough to tempt me ... cept for that cyber one :P
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:40 pm

I like the leaf-cutters, but I think they'll still end up being a little too big for the scale. I like the non-destinct look and shape of the ones I've used.

I'm thinking of doing a total of 4 squads of 16 for my Dryads. Separated by season. The main body of bark will be the same, overall.

Spring: Current set. Mix of bare branches and bright, green, new leaves.
Summer: As many leaf-covered branches as possible. Leaves a darker green (ie: Don't put the bright green highlight after inking).
Autumn: Leaves of yellow, orange and red, eyes to match.
Winter: As few leaves as possible (swapping the bare branches with the leafy branches for the summer squad). What leaves there will be, will be picked out in a very similarly coloured brown as the base, so dying, dry, dead leaves.

Easy way to separate the squads on the base, and would make for some interesting pairings when I start matching them for larger squads.
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:35 pm

The journey begins....
[+] Expand
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:04 am

I have finally forced myself to put brush to model, again and, by starting this model, I can only hope it will encourage me to finish it, as I desperately want to do well by it. This particular model is the reason I began the Sylvaneth army and I have so much interest in playing it (even if it never sees the table top, itself).

I started with a layer of Incubi Darkness over a black base, dry-brushed with a Fenrisian Grey to pick out highlights.
[+] Expand
From there, I used the Druchi Violet shade on the underside of the antlers and on the face. From there, the rest of the carapace got a Guilliman Blue glaze. So far, I've done two layers of each, though the recommended was 2-3. I'm not sure if a third is necessary, as I like the blue shade it currently has. I'm thinking at this point, it's worth moving on to highlighting.
[+] Expand
Either way, hopefully I can use this weekly thing to get myself back in gear.

Edit: For those keeners out there, yes, I am following the GW Painting guide for Alarielle. It includes several tricks for painting things I'm not terribly comfortable painting (carapace, for now, and large, smooth surfaces of skin, when I get to Alarielle herself).
Armies:

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2016”