Koonitz Weekly Paint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Koonitz Weekly Paint 2016

Post by Koonitz » Fri May 06, 2016 11:58 pm

Clever, 'cause I've never seen that one, before.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Sat May 07, 2016 8:19 am

Well in that case it's just a friendly Inquisitorial reminder then, isn't it? ;)

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed May 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Since I didn't really have anything worth posting last week, I thought I'd post an early WIP shot for this week now that I found something worth working on. More work on cursive writing (in the white side) and I used Lahmia Medium for the first time on the transfer on the blue, while also adding a little wear.

Still not 100% on the effect, but the Lahmia Medium did definitely help with the gloss. The only reason you can clearly see the edge in this picture is because of the camera flash.

I'm probably going to remove or redo the script on the blue side. I'm just not pleased with how it contrasts with the use of the pen on the white side.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed May 11, 2016 3:15 pm

General-Kroll wrote:That's really nice. What's the idea behind using lahmia medium on the transfers? Does it help hide the edges?
First, the Stormhawk painting guide posted by WarHammer TV did it. The suggestion for applying transfers was to put a base of 'ardcoat to provide a surface to adhere to, then, after the transfer is applied, apply Lahmia Medium over to smooth it out. Watching the video also shows that the gloss of the 'ardcoat was removed by the Lahmia Medium.

Further reading showed that the reason for the Lahmia Medium layer is that it has a matting agent that exactly does dry in a matte finish.

I'm not sure exactly how the WarHammer TV video got them so perfect as mine is a little off, but hey, they did. Possibly the combination of 'ardcoat and Lahmia Medium, as I did not do the 'ardcoat layer.
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed May 11, 2016 3:40 pm

General-Kroll wrote: Might have to pick some up and try that out.
If you haven't already watched the video, I believe transfer application starts around the 24 minute mark.
Armies:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 am

have you used micro sol/micro set? I'm trying to see if I should really get those (to do transfers) or not. Bit nervous I've not done any before
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Thu May 12, 2016 2:24 pm

Guildenstern wrote:have you used micro sol/micro set? I'm trying to see if I should really get those (to do transfers) or not. Bit nervous I've not done any before
I'm afraid I'm completely unfamiliar with micro sol/micro set. As such, no, I have not used it.
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun May 15, 2016 12:16 pm

The Dreadnought is nearly finished. Gonna do something with the barrel of the plasma cannon (and maybe add more snow, as most of my bases are pretty white, so this one feels like it's out of place).
[+] Expand
With that being said, my FLGS still hasn't brought in Death from the Skies or the new Marine flyer, so I'm still a little short on projects to work on. I still have the drop pod, but considering I've finally broke my dislike of the Vindicator, perhaps it's time for another Restoration project. I completely discarded this model a fair long while ago, but now it might be worth stripping and painting....
[+] Expand
Any ideas on how to do a good siege shield for it that will stand out better than "Just a dozer blade"? I'm thinking of taking two of the old dozer blades and making a wedge shape, but that will require a little more finagling than I'm used to.
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun May 22, 2016 10:39 am

I have absolutely nothing to report. Still in a painting slump. The old Vindicator is still paint stripping ( the old plastic is such a pain to strip paint from). And the FLGS still hasn't gotten anything new from GW in, so no Death from the Skies or Stormhawk.

In my slump, I've also considered starting a small Age of Sigmar Sylvaneth Tree Spirit Warhost army. This would give me something different to paint (that isn't the Tau army I have no real motivation to either paint or play)...
Armies:

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun May 22, 2016 11:03 am

Do it! I have a Wood/High Elf army I'm working on for my daughter. Age of Sigmar is a fun game as long as you aren't playing against 'that guy'. This has made it a bit tough in my area, so I look forward to the Generals Handbook :)

Looks like a great, fun army to work on I look forward to it!
Last edited by Dez on Mon May 23, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I hate typing on phones and spellcheck
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun May 22, 2016 10:54 pm

I did a thing. Twice.

Also found a reason to actually get some Nuln Oil instead of using the PP black ink. Nuln Oil would have dried matte, instead of that glossy effect I now have. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon May 23, 2016 11:25 am

Nice, keep on going!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2016”